• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Second Club Thread

2liga1.png

Make mine a double.

Very tight as ever though as you can see, top half all squished inside four points.

Normally at least one of the relegated teams bounces straight back but both Hertha and Schalke appear to be complete shite, so it's wide open this year.

In 2023:

P25 W17 D6 L2

It's been unreal. I keep saying it can't last, but here we are.

In 2023:

P25 W17 D6 L2

It's been unreal. I keep saying it can't last, but here we are.
Think you'll trek over for a match if you make it back to the top flight?

Think you'll trek over for a match if you make it back to the top flight?
I don't need that kind of carrot to get me there, I'd watch them play Altona 93 :D

I have a few mental issues with travel at the moment but I'm trying to work through them. When I do I'm duty bound to show Mrs DW my old hometown and it'd be rude not to at least try to tie it in with a game.

Kenny, Quirk and I were due to see them in 2018 but as it was a derby(ish) vs Braunschweig on the weekend we went, no dice on getting tickets. So we went to watch Eintracht Norderstedt instead in Regionalliga Nord and a superb time was had by all.

View attachment 8468

Make mine a double.

Very tight as ever though as you can see, top half all squished inside four points.

Normally at least one of the relegated teams bounces straight back but both Hertha and Schalke appear to be complete shite, so it's wide open this year.

I’ll have St Pauli situation over Sampdoria’s, beaten at home today by US Catanzora , now sat 19th in Serie B.

I’ll have St Pauli situation over Sampdoria’s, beaten at home today by US Catanzora , now sat 19th in Serie B.
If it makes you feel better (I doubt it does), Charlotte lost last night to a team that's sacked two managers inside the last month.

To add Samps owner is Andrea Radrizanni

If it makes you feel better (I doubt it does), Charlotte lost last night to a team that's sacked two managers inside the last month.
It’s getting to a point that’ll I’ve to do some severe internet digging just to keep track of things. Samp are in a similar position to Wolves in the mid 1980’s

It’s getting to a point that’ll I’ve to do some severe internet digging just to keep track of things. Samp are in a similar position to Wolves in the mid 1980’s
I know the feeling! Without this place it would have been nearly impossible to track Wolves from 2012-2014.

I know the feeling! Without this place it would have been nearly impossible to track Wolves from 2012-2014.
Saving grace is the ground rent is shared with Genoa.
Said before Sampdoria club size are smaller than Wolves only 6 major trophies. Average gate is 25k.

@Deutsch Wolf

By way of geographical coincidence, I’ve decided it would be fun to follow a football club from the Mecklenburg region of Germany. Do I have any decent options? Care less about level and more club culture.

Apologies if this is presumptive.

Er, not really :D

Hansa Rostock are far and away the biggest club in that area but they are utter wankers.

Damn. Oh well, a flight of fancy.

I just learned that Queen Charlotte (namesake of Charlotte, NC, of course) wasn’t queen of, like, all of Germany since things weren’t unified back then. She was queen of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, specifically, which is where the county that Charlotte is situated in draws its name from.

Silly historical whimsy.

Don’t worry about the historical whimsy and go for St Pauli. Everything that you suggest with your posting indicates it’s culturally absolutely the right German club for you Alan (not wishing to force the idea upon you, but it just seems a great fit).

The great thing about CFG tactics is that when they work, it’s joyful to watch.

Stick around for our 3rd goal, Brecht Dejaegere’s finish is well worth seeing.

@Deutsch Wolf

By way of geographical coincidence, I’ve decided it would be fun to follow a football club from the Mecklenburg region of Germany. Do I have any decent options? Care less about level and more club culture.

Apologies if this is presumptive.
Like Paddy says, St. Pauli are a good club to follow.

Union Berlin would be a good fit, their story is absolutely incredible. Their fans literally built the stadium and bled for the club, organising blood drives to raise money to keep the club alive and they're now in the Champions League.

Fortuna Düsseldorf another possibility. Those 3 are usually considered the most 'alternative' clubs in Germany.

Some clubs have bad reputations but the reality is that the majority of match going fans in Germany are decent folk really. Take HSV, they have this reputation for being right wing but it's not really true, it's mainly just because they're St.Pauli's rivals, not through anything their fans have actually done.

As long as you steer clear of the soulless clubs like Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg or Leipzig who would never be where they are without outside investment you'll be fine. Also Schalke. Fuck Schalke.

Fairytale Hoffenheim can do one too.

So... apart from Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, Leipzig, Schalke, Hoffenheim and possible HSV they are all great..

Last edited:
What have Schalke done? Not looked into it but a former colleague in Germany was a season ticket holder there and used to claim that they were a club for the workers of the area competing against the heavier spending Dortmund.

Back