• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to World Cup 2026 and UEFA Nations League

I think it’s a coach who’s way over complicated things and forgot the fact he had to win the game first. Bizarre he created a side that looked toothless up front and open wide defensively.
It’s nations league yes but coming second in this group should absolutely seal the deal that he doesn’t get the job. Even if he wins the next 3 comfortably I wouldn’t give it him, I’m no expert but know for a fact that the side he picked tonight was unbalanced at best.
If it was one of those games where you’re up against a keeper having the game of his life or just no luck and got hit on the break fair enough, this wasn’t that and it should have been 3 or 4-1 to Greece.

Sometimes, I long for the days of a 4-4-2. Goal keepers who came for crosses and had command of the 18 yard box, who gave the ball to players who could 'play' or kicked it long to centre midfield or centre forward.
Two centre halves, two full backs, two solid middle midfielders, two wide midfielders, who marked when they didn't have the ball, a centre forward and a Sheringham type off him.
It will come back one day.

Attachments

• marvellous-ron-manager.gif
    marvellous-ron-manager.gif
    90.3 KB · Views: 3
Pretty clueless stuff. The formation was definitely experimental, didn't work at all. No focal point, no out ball. The way we played it out from the back was pretty amateurish and Pickford lost his head. But there was never an option to play it long and this must be one of the shortest sides England have put out. To be fair I thought Greece actually pressed rather well and looked a pretty decent team. Broke the lines well no doubt helped by the vacuum in the middle of the pitch. If the plan was to pack the middle I didn't see it all, the defence had no shield as it was all just drifting wide and cutting in. No striker meant we could only ever play it in to feet. Some decent chances wasted but Greece had more, they had the ball in our net five times which said a lot. I thought Foden in particular was garbage and his terrible England form is a long-running theme. At least Bellingham contributes despite poor games.

Less than 80k even officially. Wembley even more devoid of atmosphere than usual no doubt helped by some shocking stuff. So now we need to win every game or there's a pretty good chance we aren't winning the group too... brilliant.

Get the same vibe from this as I do Wolves. Dimwitted tactics from a coach who is not right.

It means little in the overall scheme of things , but it was still great to record a win last night , and an away win at that . Finland are low on confidence levels , no different to ourselves , but the worm will always turn eventually .
We are still very short on top players and for the most part have Championship level players or roughly that level , with a number of the squad at a level below that again - although they wouldn't be starters .
Liam Scales has a future - he's been a slow burner and is getting regular game time with Celtic which helps . Ogbene causes plenty of trouble for the opposition but struggles at times for an end product .
Sammy Szmodics is an intelligent player who has been a great addition to us , and with greater support will prosper .
Kelleher just needs regular game time and simply must leave Liverpool . Collins will stay in the team - but his lapses of concentration continue and are proving quite costly . He's different to Doherty though , Collins cares - Doherty doesn't , but he simply must cut that out of his game .
Dara O' Shea and Josh Cullen are what they are - honest hard working players who want to wear the jersey , but lack that obvious extra talent .
Robbie Brady seems to be having a second coming at Preston and good luck to him .
Evan Ferguson is still very raw and has kind of lost his way a bit .
Festy Ebosele has potential , and did very well last might when he was introduced .

We lack a proper central midfielder who can control the play and settle things down .

It's a long road ahead , and has already been a journey to this point of qualifying campaigns that go nowhere , but it's a long road that has no turn . We'll get there .

GZxw8-rWQAQDQ5h

Did wonder for a second who Number 19 was

ZNz78X.gif

It's pretty shocking that with the Premier League and all the football academies around, that England can still go into a competitive match and are unable to field an actual left back.

It's pretty shocking that with the Premier League and all the football academies around, that England can still go into a competitive match and are unable to field an actual left back.
25% of the PL clubs started one last game, so there are options. I'm not advocating recalling Ashley Young though

Livramento, Colwill and Lewis all better at FB than either Walker or TAA. But there are actual options at clubs that didn't get picked.

I get he's trying stuff out but it's so frustrating watching managers do this stuff.

Back