• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

All those games which the fixtures list have thrown up in the last couple of years which involve the home nations (& Ireland) playing against each other have all been the same, plenty of effort, application passion etc but low on quality, must be 7 or 8 of them in the last 2 years all virtually the same (possible exception England/Wales last year), highlights the quality of the players being produced and shows how much the PL relies on the foreign players to provide the star quality and variety.

Not wanting to go political on this thread but if Brexit really goes tits and the foreign players coming to the UK dry up, then games like yesterday (and worse as these are the best players) could be what we get used to in the future every week in the league
I didn't see the game yesterday, but what never rings true is how English players play for the National side versus their club which has been going on decades now. Half the Spurs team is English for example, so as good as Eriksen, Alderweireld etc are it's not them that are making Dele Alli look good, it's his own ability. Yet his only good game in an England shirt was his debut 18 months ago.

On Brexit I'm fairly confident rules will be set up which exempt football from any conventional working arrangements.

just seen the scotland-england game i recorded..not a great game but as expected not a walkover.. Griff is a proper goalscorer for sure...

On Brexit I'm fairly confident rules will be set up which exempt football from any conventional working arrangements.

The head of my uni course is one of the leading researchers in migration in football, written a lot of journals and books on migration of footballers, lived experiences and impact on countries/national teams etc, and this is pretty much what he said to us about it. Too much money involved for it not to be looked after.

They should get the same as other professions. We have no shortage of footballers in the UK, therefore, if you are going to have balanced migration there should be very few work permits issued.

They should get the same as other professions. We have no shortage of footballers in the UK, therefore, if you are going to have balanced migration there should be very few work permits issued.

So we shouldn't get the best players because we should give average players a chance? Intentionally weakening your standing in the world will lead to an exodus of players and TV money.

So we shouldn't get the best players because we should give average players a chance? Intentionally weakening your standing in the world will lead to an exodus of players and TV money.

Meh, I didn't vote for Brexit, but as far as I know one of the big themes was to give our work shy more chance.

The easiest way to sort it out on both sides - once we're free of the tyranny of EU law which I am assured has ruined the country for the last 40 years - would be to allow footballers a pretty much free pass to work here (because the tax take from them is huge) but restrict the number of non-UK players in a matchday squad, which I don't think we can do at the moment. That way the best players can come here unfettered, but you shouldn't have bang average foreign players taking up squad spaces and blocking the progress of youth (why would you bother signing them if you know you're not going to be able to pick them).

That said who knows what's going to happen with the whole mess anyway.

Football shouldn't be any different to any other industry, if that means we have to watch (more) shit football then thats our fault.

The thing is, if we sign some Croatian on £20k a week and hand him a three year deal, that's him guaranteed to be in employment for that period, sending a ton of money to the Exchequer, and even if he's rubbish and we bin him off at the end of his contract, he isn't likely to hang around in the UK and claim JSA, is he.

That would be the difference between football and normal industry in that context.

I guess you have to look at the academy structures too, if they were providing top class talent the space for foreign players would be naturally restricted. They aren't producing that talent at the moment.

Not sure if this is the right thread (though the recent posts suggests it may be?) but I found this article really interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40252921
England's Under-20 World Cup success would not have been possible without the co-operation of Premier League and EFL clubs, says Football Association technical director Dan Ashworth...
Ashworth has written to the clubs to thank them for releasing players before the end of the season.

"Without the relationships with the clubs you can't compete," he said...
Everton manager Ronald Koeman allowed five youngsters to miss the final fortnight of the Premier League season to prepare for the tournament, including Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who scored the only goal in the final.

Of the 21-man squad, 16 played senior league football this season, while seven of these played for a Premier League team.

"I have sent a note to thank all the clubs, we are eternally grateful", Ashworth told BBC Sport. "Without players being released we would not have been able to compete in the World Cup.

"It's not just the World Cup, it's every international event when we need the help of clubs in order to release players to play international football at development team age. We have a good relationship with the clubs and we are really grateful for that."

Ashworth lists three factors in their success:

The FA's National Football Centre at St George's Park, which opened in 2012 and the coach education offered there;
"Excellent" work by coaches and clubs at academies that have "pushed on" with youth development;
"Revolutionary" new coaching qualifications...
England forward Dominic Solanke, due to join Liverpool from Chelsea on 1 July, was awarded the Golden Ball, given to the player of the tournament. Previous winners including Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi, Luis Figo, Paul Pogba and Sergio Aguero.

Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman, who saved a second-half penalty in the final, was awarded the Golden Glove, given to the best goalkeeper of the tournament.

Squad just announced.

tweet-900704399135309826-2.jpg

Cresswell and Livermore? Hmmmm.

Four keepers and ten defenders (plus Dier), definitely necessary.

Must try and keep it tight against Malta, I really do despise international breaks nowadays.

Chalobah FFS

He got mugged out of a free shot against Bournemouth because Arter shouted 'leave it' like some Sunday League bantersaurus, like fuck is he up to International standard.

The Slovakia game could be important if they beat Slovenia means they'd only be 2 points behind going into that game.

Play all ten at the back. See how you like them apples, Slovakia.

I have absolutely no idea where Southgate is going with that selection. Not a single creative midfielder at all.

Gotta love Southgate no doubt we'll be having another inquest in 10 months time after another debacle at a major tournament.

Back