• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

In my opinion Neymar is overrated. Yes he is a good player, but hardly a world beater.

Ireland have totally lost the plot since Denmark went ahead. McClean having a go at Clarke, Clarke having a go at Randolph. Brady having a go at Arter. O'neill needs to get them in and calm them down. Get a goal and it's game on again. 45 mins to go yet lads. They could do with Hoolihan and Long on. Christie has been brutal.

The thing is that Southgate sells himself as bringing through a bright new dawn, we might suffer in the short term but he'll bring through the youth...right. But that's no good if you play no football. It's no good if you pick terrible footballers like Livermore or awfully flawed ones like Maguire. There's no sense in you picking Joe Hart if that's your policy. Are we going to play like this in the World Cup if we draw Brazil in the group, which could happen?

It really is a Saunders at Wolves in 2013 equation. You have an element of dysfunction that can't be fixed overnight. You have to set your sights lower. But this chump is so rubbish and operating three or four levels above where he should be that you're going to get worse, week on week, game on game.

Taking it that you rate Southgate on a par with other manager's whose name we will not mention - not wrong though

Taking it that you rate Southgate on a par with other manager's whose name we will not mention - not wrong though

I'm not massively keen on him.

He seems a nice enough chap so that's in his favour, but he really is a cack manager. I genuinely think if say, Fulham sacked their manager tomorrow (and they're 17th in the Championship), they'd have literally zero interest in Gareth Southgate even if he were available and cheap.

Only saw the last ten minutes thank fuck, looked as dismal as the last few Southgate games I’ve been unfortunate enough to have seen. I think this will be the first World Cup I’ll have watched with zero misguided optimism.

I'm not massively keen on him.

He seems a nice enough chap so that's in his favour, but he really is a cack manager. I genuinely think if say, Fulham sacked their manager tomorrow (and they're 17th in the Championship), they'd have literally zero interest in Gareth Southgate even if he were available and cheap.

Was the safe option for the FA when BFS fucked up - wasn't the best choice, but convenient & we were always going to qualify from that group whatever he did. Problem is, how do you change things now when nothing has gone disastrously wrong.

It is weird. We look solid at the back, which is nice. But oh my word, when we have possession there is just... nothing. No plan, no clue, no counters, no ability to even hold possession and work something meaningful. It just looks woeful.

Was the safe option for the FA when BFS fucked up - wasn't the best choice, but convenient & we were always going to qualify from that group whatever he did. Problem is, how do you change things now when nothing has gone disastrously wrong.

Dead easy, you say thanks Gareth, take your payoff and now we're going to appoint a real manager.

I hate it when teams have someone in place (players and managers) who clearly and obviously isn't good enough and they wait for them to mess up (to the detriment of the team) before they change it. Be proactive, not reactive.

That's it for Ireland. 3-1 down now.

Pretty much what they have deserved over the 2 legs.

Oh well game over

least on the bright side no fear of getting your head kicked in by a mad russian this summer

Denmark taking the piss in midfield, making McClean in particular look stupid and Eriksen makes it 3-1

Eriksen difference shows how limited technically most of our players are. Work rate will only get you so far

Great strike by Eriksen but poor defending. No-one near him when he receives the ball

US 1-0 against Portugal (a friendly I know).

Amazing, US has left most of the shite that has looked awful for the past few years at home and we look so much better for it. Wild. /sarcasm

Eriksen 'trick after some more woeful defending from Wardy

4-1

Back