• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Definitely looks a better option than Jones, on the right of that back three, I would say

Not sure how Klopp has been playing Klavan ahead of him for over a year, nonsensical.

Great work from Southgate here in practising a bit of a jam of a 0-0, could prove invaluable. Two goals scored (one a penalty) in four games. Hodgson got plenty of stick, some justified, but we scored quite a lot under him. We're so shit in an attacking sense now.

Yeah but we could always play for penalties, right? RIGHT???

Dunphy thinks McClean played centre forward!?!? And he's a 'very fine person'. I thought he was a headcase, thug who played midfield.
Junkie.

England again had very little going forward, but in successive games against the two best teams in the world England have not conceded a goal. If nothing else Southgate has got the players very well organised.

Dunphy thinks McClean played centre forward!?!? And he's a 'very fine person'. I thought he was a headcase, thug who played midfield.
Junkie.
Poor footballer maybe, but isn't the rest a little OTT?

We're pretty much always solid though. In nearly 30 years of watching England we've taken very few thumpings. Denmark away under Sven, Germany in the 2010 World Cup under Capello, Sweden away under Hodgson when we were playing the likes of Caulker and Shawcross? Can't remember many more.

We don't need to practice getting clean sheets, we're alright at that. We weren't conceding loads of goals before Southgate came in.

We're pretty much always solid though. In nearly 30 years of watching England we've taken very few thumpings. Denmark away under Sven, Germany in the 2010 World Cup under Capello, Sweden away under Hodgson when we were playing the likes of Caulker and Shawcross? Can't remember many more.

We don't need to practice getting clean sheets, we're alright at that. We weren't conceding loads of goals before Southgate came in.

True, but not many teams keep clean sheets against Germany and Brazil.

I thought we looked OK defensively.

England again had very little going forward, but in successive games against the two best teams in the world England have not conceded a goal. If nothing else Southgate has got the players very well organised.

Whilst I agree, I think friendlies have the same importance as the fifth test against the Aussies during the 90s. They're not really an indicator of how good we are

True, but not many teams keep clean sheets against Germany and Brazil.

I thought we looked OK defensively.
Personally I don't think England could win a tournament using the Portugal template; you simply don't have the same consistent quality up front that the Portuguese do.

Poor footballer maybe, but isn't the rest a little OTT?

Dunphy is the junkie. Or maybe he's just a piss head. Slurring his head off, shockingly bad pundit and a bitter man. Was amusing a few years ago but it's wearing very thin nowadays.

Personally I don't think England could win a tournament using the Portugal template; you simply don't have the same consistent quality up front that the Portuguese do.

Don't get me wrong, England have very little chance of winning the World Cup, but we will be difficult to beat. Defensively we are ok, there are just more options needed further upfield.

Harry Kane is one of the best strikers on the planet and both Sterling and Alli play for top European clubs one of which has just hammered the current champions.

It's up to the manager to get the best out of his players just as the club managers do. This clown can't which is why England couldn't win a World Cup.

Don't get me wrong, England have very little chance of winning the World Cup, but we will be difficult to beat. Defensively we are ok, there are just more options needed further upfield.
2010 New Zealand were difficult to beat...

I do understand what you're getting at, to be fair.

Hold up :icon_lol:

Portugal's biggest downfall for years has not been having a proper striker. For years they had insanely good midfields then utter shite like Pauleta and Nuno Gomes up top. The last Euros was a travesty of a tournament with a suitably shite winner.

They look to have fixed it now with Andre Silva but you're looking at over 20 years where they probably would have been world beaters if they'd had a proper forward. And now we do have one of the world's best strikers, it's not exactly an accusation you can throw at us.

Defensively we looked solid, but my god we are painful to watch. Real lack of creativity again. Can't remember the last time I was excited about an England game

Hold up :icon_lol:

Portugal's biggest downfall for years has not been having a proper striker. For years they had insanely good midfields then utter $#@!e like Pauleta and Nuno Gomes up top. The last Euros was a travesty of a tournament with a suitably $#@!e winner.

They look to have fixed it now with Andre Silva but you're looking at over 20 years where they probably would have been world beaters if they'd had a proper forward. And now we do have one of the world's best strikers, it's not exactly an accusation you can throw at us.
I was referring to the front three collectively.

Back