• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road To Germany 2024

You can only take 1 of Shaw, James and Chilwell because they are all crocks. We are covered at right back, so we've gone with the better of the two left backs. I'd have done the same if he passes the fitness tests
Don't get me wrong I think Shaw is the best of a bad bunch but no minutes for ages and Chilwell proving he hasn't broke down with his sub appearances is strange.

Sounds like Guehi has made it and Mitchell hasn't. Hmm.

It looks like Trent will be backup to Walker at RB with Trippier/Shaw at LB and Colwill if we're in an emergency.

Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson, Trafford (4)
Stones, Maguire, Guehi, Branthwaite, Colwill, Quansah (6)
Walker, TAA, Trippier, Shaw (4)
Bellingham, Rice, Gallagher, Wharton, Mainoo, Jones (6)
Foden, Saka, Palmer, Gordon, Eze, Bowen, Grealish (7)
Kane, Watkins, Toney (3)

Trafford, Quansah, Jones and one from Bowen/Grealish/Watkins/Tony to be the unlucky fourth to be left out.

Maddison reportedly in - I've run out of ideas on how he'll limit it to 30 now with all the previous leaks.

GOGsviLWUAAjSAp

He's named 33 after everyone was saying it would be 30!

GK: Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson, Trafford (4)
CB: Stones, Maguire, Branthwaite, Guehi, Konsa, Dunk, Quansah (7)
FB: Walker, Trippier, Shaw, Gomez (4)
CM: Rice, Alexander-Arnold, Gallagher, Mainoo, Wharton, Jones (6)
AM: Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Gordon, Palmer, Eze, Grealish, Bowen, Maddison (9)
CF: Kane, Toney, Watkins (3)

Nothing overly surprising there.

Hopefully the narrative about Southgate having his "favourites" stops now.

The CBs are worryingly poor/inexperienced (internationally)

Nothing overly surprising there.

Hopefully the narrative about Southgate having his "favourites" stops now.

The CBs are worryingly poor/inexperienced (internationally)
Completely no depth in midfield either, massive vacuum behind Rice in that position.

Trafford, Dunk, Quansah, Jones, Maddison, Grealish and Bowen to miss out for me.

I'd leave:

Trafford, Guehi, Dunk, Gallagher, Jones, Gordon & Maddison.

Tough on Gordon but Grealish just offers something a bit different & has the experience at international level. That means it's between Gordon/Eze (I don't think he can take them both). Bowen should get in because he can play wide and through the middle. Tough call there.

The squad does seem to be lacking in the middle, but then I'd be happy with Wharton in next to Rice (will never happen) and Bellingham ahead of them.

Pickford
Walker Maguire Stones Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Palmer Foden
Kane
Is that about as strong as we get? Maybe TAA in alongside Rice and Bellingham pushed up instead of Palmer?

Central defence the obvious weakness (again).

I'd leave:

Trafford, Guehi, Dunk, Gallagher, Jones, Gordon & Maddison.

Tough on Gordon but Grealish just offers something a bit different & has the experience at international level. That means it's between Gordon/Eze (I don't think he can take them both). Bowen should get in because he can play wide and through the middle. Tough call there.

The squad does seem to be lacking in the middle, but then I'd be happy with Wharton in next to Rice (will never happen) and Bellingham ahead of them.

Pickford
Walker Maguire Stones Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Palmer Foden
Kane
Is that about as strong as we get? Maybe TAA in alongside Rice and Bellingham pushed up instead of Palmer?

Central defence the obvious weakness (again).
You can take Bowen as an option through the middle if you leave one of Toney and Watkins behind. Otherwise he's fourth choice RW and fourth choice CF - that shouldn't be getting him on the plane, particularly if we have issues elsewhere (which we do).

Its similar for Maddison - he can't play alongside Rice and he's behind Bellingham, Foden or Palmer (Eze for me as well based on current form) as options at #10. Good player, but that's probably the most depth of talent in any squad in one position in the world at the moment.

Gordon has to go, double figures in goals and assists and he has that directness which I think we lack a touch of. Don't underestimate his work defensively too. I'm very much in the Eze camp, but the more I look, I can see him missing out for Grealish given his prior experience.

You can take Bowen as an option through the middle if you leave one of Toney and Watkins behind. Otherwise he's fourth choice RW and fourth choice CF - that shouldn't be getting him on the plane, particularly if we have issues elsewhere (which we do).

Its similar for Maddison - he can't play alongside Rice and he's behind Bellingham, Foden or Palmer (Eze for me as well based on current form) as options at #10. Good player, but that's probably the most depth of talent in any squad in one position in the world at the moment.

Gordon has to go, double figures in goals and assists and he has that directness which I think we lack a touch of. Don't underestimate his work defensively too. I'm very much in the Eze camp, but the more I look, I can see him missing out for Grealish given his prior experience.
Good points to be fair. I think Southgate quite likes Bowen, though - but I can absolutely see your point.

That's actually a decent squad he's picked. He's actually considered form and fitness which is novel for an England manager. Thought he'd play safe and leave Branthwaite and Quansah but fair play. Can see how he takes Shaw as he's the best option and worth the risk.

Back