• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road To Germany 2024

Left back looks like it is going to be a big issue. Ten Hag has as much as said that Shaw won't be fit enough to be first choice for the tournament, Chilwell is shit and injury prone and Trippier looks absolutely done even playing on his preferred site.

I imagine we'll take Mitchell who I do like and risk one of Shaw/Chilwell along with Gomez as a backup across the entire back four. That's not ideal, as you have to lose an attacking option, but given the injury issues we've got, I can see the sense in it.

Current best guess (with a hint of personal preference):

GK: Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale
CB: Stones, Maguire, Guehi, Branthwaite, Gomez
FB: Walker, James, Mitchell, Shaw
CM: Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, Gallagher, Mainoo
AM: Saka, Foden, Palmer, Gordon, Eze
ST: Kane, Watkins, Toney

Eze, Rashford, Grealish and Bowen are in a battle for one spot as I have it, unless we decide not to take one of Watkins or Toney.

I'd leave Bowen behind as he'd be behind Saka, Foden and Palmer as options at RW and I can't see him playing as a CF. Grealish isn't fit, Rashford has been a disgrace all season so I've gone for Eze given the form he's currently in and his ability in tight spaces.

Left back looks like it is going to be a big issue. Ten Hag has as much as said that Shaw won't be fit enough to be first choice for the tournament, Chilwell is shit and injury prone and Trippier looks absolutely done even playing on his preferred site.

I imagine we'll take Mitchell who I do like and risk one of Shaw/Chilwell along with Gomez as a backup across the entire back four. That's not ideal, as you have to lose an attacking option, but given the injury issues we've got, I can see the sense in it.

Current best guess (with a hint of personal preference):

GK: Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale
CB: Stones, Maguire, Guehi, Branthwaite, Gomez
FB: Walker, James, Mitchell, Shaw
CM: Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, Gallagher, Mainoo
AM: Saka, Foden, Palmer, Gordon, Eze
ST: Kane, Watkins, Toney

Eze, Rashford, Grealish and Bowen are in a battle for one spot as I have it, unless we decide not to take one of Watkins or Toney.

I'd leave Bowen behind as he'd be behind Saka, Foden and Palmer as options at RW and I can't see him playing as a CF. Grealish isn't fit, Rashford has been a disgrace all season so I've gone for Eze given the form he's currently in and his ability in tight spaces.
I think he'll take Dunk instead of Branthwaite and TAA instead of Gomez (not as a midfielder even though he can play there).

I think Livramento or Hall may get a nod instead of Shaw. And hope Trippier doesn't.

I would take Wharton over either Gallagher and Henderson but he isn't going to do that so he gets my extra midfield slot vacated by TAA in your line up.

Agree with you on AM and STR.

I think he'll take Dunk instead of Branthwaite and TAA instead of Gomez (not as a midfielder even though he can play there).

I think Livramento or Hall may get a nod instead of Shaw. And hope Trippier doesn't.

I would take Wharton over either Gallagher and Henderson but he isn't going to do that so he gets my extra midfield slot vacated by TAA in your line up.

Agree with you on AM and STR.
Dunk has surely played his way out of contention - he's been woeful every time he's put on an England shirt. Excellent club player, but all at sea at international level. I'd have taken Colwill ideally, but he's another on the crocked list.

I agree on Wharton - I'd take him over Henderson, Gallagher or Mainoo - he looks a special player in a role we're awfully short in, but I just can't see him going without having been in the camp before.

I do expect Livramento, Hall, Branthwaite, Colwill, Lewis, Wharton and Elliott to be integrated from September. Hopefully Wharton, Eze and Mitchell can get in Olise's ear too.

Back