• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Red Card Effect

But you can't defend your players if their behaviour brings such embarrassment and ridcule on the club.
If the manager defends that sort of behaviour and also states that he didn't see it when it was less than 10 yards from his box, the Directors/CEO/owner wants to come down and get a fucking grip.
It's EXACTLY that sort of shite behaviour that keeps the cheating going!

It's EXACTLY that sort of shite behaviour that keeps the cheating going!

It is indeed.

I would hope that Wolves would hammer any player that cheats. Certainly interesting that at the start of his time with us Afobe started to dive but this seems to have stopped. I presume KJ has had a word with him and he has actually listened.

Has it stopped? He was booked for an absolutely shocking dive vs Huddersfield (outside the box at 4-1 FFS) and im sure he did it again pretty recently (Cardiff?).

I haven't seen anything divey from him recently

I was at a seminar today and the topic was simulation. And they used footage from the Wolves v Watford game, and what became clear was that the referee was not in a good position, so the overriding view was that he guessed at what happened based on the reaction by the Watford player. But one point that was raised a few times was why on earth did the referee not consult with the assistant and/or fourth official. Had he done so then he would almost certainly have given the Watford player a yellow card. As it is, the FA have gave him the weekend off. So unavoidable really.

Was the fact the referee was 3 stone overweight and in a physical condition I have not seen anyone ref a Wolves game in for at least 20 years discussed Frank?

It was indeed, but we were told that he had passed his pre season medical, so that should not have been an issue.

I was at a seminar today and the topic was simulation. And they used footage from the Wolves v Watford game, and what became clear was that the referee was not in a good position, so the overriding view was that he guessed at what happened based on the reaction by the Watford player. But one point that was raised a few times was why on earth did the referee not consult with the assistant and/or fourth official. Had he done so then he would almost certainly have given the Watford player a yellow card. As it is, the FA have gave him the weekend off. So unavoidable really.

Thanks for that insight Frank, really handy having you on board.
But tell me this then.... based on the above, why on earth did the linesman not go to the ref and say, "No, no, no, you've got that wrong, it's the other way around...", or whatever he had seen?
Surely that wasn't anything to do with the sectoring thing you mentioned the other day?

It was indeed, but we were told that he had passed his pre season medical, so that should not have been an issue.
Thanks for replying. Is the medical the same for amateur FL refs as it is for professional PL ones? I assume the levels are different

Thanks for that insight Frank, really handy having you on board.
But tell me this then.... based on the above, why on earth did the linesman not go to the ref and say, "No, no, no, you've got that wrong, it's the other way around...", or whatever he had seen?
Surely that wasn't anything to do with the sectoring thing you mentioned the other day?

The thing is that the referee made an instant decision, so had the assistant intervened he would have been deemed to have undermined the referee. .most referees only want their assistant to help out in such situations if either the referee was not too sure what had happened, or if the wrong player had been sent off.

Thanks for replying. Is the medical the same for amateur FL refs as it is for professional PL ones? I assume the levels are different

Yes, up to level 5, you do not need to pass a fitness test. But from level 5 and higher, they have to pass a fitness test which includes short sprints, 100 metre run and 12 minutes continual running, during which at least 6 laps of the track must be completed. One you get to level 2 and 1 the test becomes much tougher.

Interesting Frank, cheers. It's a shame that the refereeing environment is such that an assistant referee or fourth official would rather see a terrible decision on the pitch, than be seen to undermine the referee. They should see such interventions as positive assistance rather than a negative. I've always suspected that the dynamic between refs and linesmen is wrong.

It is indeed.

I would hope that Wolves would hammer any player that cheats. Certainly interesting that at the start of his time with us Afobe started to dive but this seems to have stopped. I presume KJ has had a word with him and he has actually listened.

I don't think Wolves Supporters would accept it. Kevin Doyle went through an embarrassing stage of trying to fall over and it was laughable at times. I sense KJ wouldn't allow it but if your clipped in the penalty area it takes a brave man to stand up. I applaud any that do and would rather lose than play the game in that style. Think Robbie Fowler at Arsenal a few years back stood up to be counted.

The thing is that the referee made an instant decision, so had the assistant intervened he would have been deemed to have undermined the referee. .most referees only want their assistant to help out in such situations if either the referee was not too sure what had happened, or if the wrong player had been sent off.

Yes Frank, it really does seem that the ref made an instant decision when (after the event certainly) it seems he actually had a poor view of the incident.
So how wrong it is that the referee's Assistant couldn't be seen to be assisting the ref correctly.

Rather disturbing parrallel on tv a while ago. The pilot of a plane made a few wrong decisions, but such was the culture that the assistant pilot couldn't correct him as it would have been seen as undermining the captain.. so he said nothing... Of course the plane crashed and nearly 240 people perished.
The CULTURE was wrong Frank. And what the majority of these 170 posts are highlighting is that in the arcaic entrails of the FA Frank, the CULTURE is wrong here too.

Interesting Frank, cheers. It's a shame that the refereeing environment is such that an assistant referee or fourth official would rather see a terrible decision on the pitch, than be seen to undermine the referee. They should see such interventions as positive assistance rather than a negative. I've always suspected that the dynamic between refs and linesmen is wrong.

I thought the roll of the assistant was to help the referee e.g seeing things that the referee doesn't and draw it to his attention.

Yes, up to level 5, you do not need to pass a fitness test. But from level 5 and higher, they have to pass a fitness test which includes short sprints, 100 metre run and 12 minutes continual running, during which at least 6 laps of the track must be completed. One you get to level 2 and 1 the test becomes much tougher.

Running for 12 mins? Shouldn't it be running for 45 mins?! I.e. Half a game of football?

12 mins seems a ludicrously low target to aim for!

I thought the roll of the assistant was to help the referee e.g seeing things that the referee doesn't and draw it to his attention.

Indeed it is, but if the referee feels he has seen an incident, he would not expect an assistant to intervene. It may sound strange, but that is how most referees will work. In the pre match briefing the assistants would be told to flag for fouls etc in their patrol path, which they will do. But where there is an incident where the referee immediately brandishes the red card, the assistant would presume he saw exactly what had happened.

Running for 12 mins? Shouldn't it be running for 45 mins?! I.e. Half a game of football?

12 mins seems a ludicrously low target to aim for!

In any game a referee will only run in short bursts. The 12 minute run is just to show that the referee has the stamina required. And there are shuttle runs and sprints included in the fitness test. I have taken the physical training exam on many occasions, and it is quite tough. Though any fit person should have no trouble in passing it.

Back