• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official Euro 2016 Megathread

I don't know how he's still in charge to be honest.

I think it's because they are reluctant to appoint a foreign coach and they don't have a bunch of Belgian coaches lined up to take it.

Denayer and Lukaku at full-back then?

Even so they still managed to concede two goals to Norway tonight.
They were good goals tbf although the defending on Berisha's was horrendous.

Vertonghen has no character at all, he wilts as soon as the pressure is on.

Yet he's a key part of the best defence in the league with Spurs.

Again, I blame the manager.

Yet he's a key part of the best defence in the league with Spurs.

Again, I blame the manager.

Aye, and look how badly he went off the boil at the end of the season.

Wilmots doesn't help things but I think Dier has done an underappreciated job shielding Spurs' back four (even considering the plaudits he has already garnered). Belgium's midfielders are all classy players but none of them provide that dedicated barrier role.

I see that the BBC are employing well known tactical genius Dean Saunders as an expert pundit. If ever that was an argument for breaking up the Beeb, that's it

Caught up with the Shearer '96 Documentary the other night.

Bloody hell it brought back the memories, 16 years old and full of myself, I can remember where I was for every game of that tournament. Some great bittersweet memories.

How good was Gazza, what a talent he had shame it came with a self destruct button but it wasn't so obvious back then about his issues.

If it was not for British stuff, Wales would struggle, but the best thing for them was drawn in our group, it will make them lift there game....

As much as I would love them to finish 0 Points, because of the Whole England thing I think they may sneak a draw with us, May even draw with Russia, but think they will lose against Slovakia

Our group if Wales was replaced with a team 10 better in the world, it would be an easy group.

England p3 W2 D1
Slovakia P3 W2 L1
Wales p3 W1 L1 D1
Russia P3 W0 L3

That's my expected but not Preferred outcome.

At the end of the day, England were unbeaten in qualification for a reason. We really should be beating the likes of Russia, Slovakia and Wales - and whilst I appreciate the pressure cooker of tournament football is different to the qualifiers; if we're anywhere near our best, we should walk the group.

I wish Wales (and the two Irish squads) the best of luck and fall in to the category that I'd like to see them all do well unless they come up against England. With that in mind, it would be great if England & Wales go through as the top two - but I just can't see it.

Wales, Bale aside, just don't have the quality going forward to break teams down - and defensively, an area where you'd think they would be sound, they seem to be crumbling apart at just the wrong time.

I think it'll be a toss up between Slovakia and Wales as to who finishes bottom of the group.

As for the tournament as a whole, I'm really looking forward to it. It's completely open and there is no clear favourite. All of the 'big' teams have areas of weakness which weren't there a few years back. Spain haven't got an absolute world class centre forward, Germany have never replaced Lahm properly at right back, Italy have been injury struck in the middle of midfield, Belgium have defensive issues, France also have problems of their own at the back - and then the likes of Portugal and Poland are relying heavily one one or two big name players. England themselves have a very young and inexperienced squad who will likely struggle to see the business end of a tournament out.

It really is wide open and should be a good tournament.

At the end of the day, England were unbeaten in qualification for a reason. We really should be beating the likes of Russia, Slovakia and Wales - and whilst I appreciate the pressure cooker of tournament football is different to the qualifiers; if we're anywhere near our best, we should walk the group.

I wish Wales (and the two Irish squads) the best of luck and fall in to the category that I'd like to see them all do well unless they come up against England. With that in mind, it would be great if England & Wales go through as the top two - but I just can't see it.

Wales, Bale aside, just don't have the quality going forward to break teams down - and defensively, an area where you'd think they would be sound, they seem to be crumbling apart at just the wrong time.

I think it'll be a toss up between Slovakia and Wales as to who finishes bottom of the group.

As for the tournament as a whole, I'm really looking forward to it. It's completely open and there is no clear favourite. All of the 'big' teams have areas of weakness which weren't there a few years back. Spain haven't got an absolute world class centre forward, Germany have never replaced Lahm properly at right back, Italy have been injury struck in the middle of midfield, Belgium have defensive issues, France also have problems of their own at the back - and then the likes of Portugal and Poland are relying heavily one one or two big name players. England themselves have a very young and inexperienced squad who will likely struggle to see the business end of a tournament out.

It really is wide open and should be a good tournament.

I hate agreeing with you - it vastly reduces my board cred. But, yeah - what he said.

I'd love Ireland, N Ireland and Wales to do well - except when they play us of course.

I'm thinking of putting a fiver on Belgium to win it they've got a decent team and could upset the odds.

I do agree that it is an open tournament and will be a good one.

The longest you'll get on Belgium is 11/1, it's not really value.

Belgium won't win it the way they ship goals.

I had a few bets yesterday. Turkey to get knocked out in the group stages at Evens I thought was really good value.

Just watching the news about the Frenchman who was arrested in Ukraine whilst plotting 15 terror attacks at Euro 2016.
Makes me sick tbh. The cache of weapons found was enough to do major damage.

I know people who are flying to Paris this week and I hope that security is on top of any threats to the games/fanzones.
I have a feeling of dread about an attack tbh.

Official guide book arrived today, been collecting them for every World Cup/Euro's since Spain 82.

The longest you'll get on Belgium is 11/1, it's not really value.

I've got them at 13-1, I've also had £5 on R.O.I, Wales and Northern Ireland getting eliminated at the group stage for 9/2

I've got them at 13-1, I've also had £5 on R.O.I, Wales and Northern Ireland getting eliminated at the group stage for 9/2
I can't see Belgium winning it, their defence is too poor.

I can't see Belgium winning it, their defence is too poor.

They're just completely disfunctional as a team whenever I've seen them, some great players in their squad but they just don't work together at all.

Back