• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

This is a lot even for us. Loads of players may be as homophobic but wouldn’t be so stupid as to just say it like Butker has.

This will be interesting to watch develop. There will certainly be some amount of backlash, whether it amounts to anything official… I doubt it.

I’ve got a lot of time for religion (conditioning’s a bitch) but less than none for weaponizing it against human rights.

Yep as long as he keeps kicking game winning field goals most won't really care I expect.

Even the authorities over here banned a rugby player for coming out with that sort of shit and trying to use religion as his shield

His jersey has been the best selling NFL jersey since. Fuck sake, the whole anti-woke agenda has made bigotry acceptable. People are fucking morons.
And the NFL have said his views are a personal matter. Meanwhile have a bet on a sport you don't play whilst on team premises, 1 year ban

The number can only go one way, but I agree there's more Daniel Jones to this than Joe Burrow. Though on talent alone Lawrence is closer to the latter.
He might get better with age. I'd say he's a bit Eli Manning than Dan Jones and that worked out ok for him.

Jaguars have signed off on a stadium refit with half the money coming from the state/city budget. Comes with a 30 year 'no relocation' stipulation which means the Jags are not going to be moving to be London's team any time soon.

Jaguars have signed off on a stadium refit with half the money coming from the state/city budget. Comes with a 30 year 'no relocation' stipulation which means the Jags are not going to be moving to be London's team any time soon.
I've always wondered is there an appetite for that anyway? Not so much filling a stadium for 8 or 9 games a year, more a London team having a core fanbase to make it a home environment. I don't see many people switching allegiances so you'd be looking at the next generation which would take time to build.

I've always wondered is there an appetite for that anyway? Not so much filling a stadium for 8 or 9 games a year, more a London team having a core fanbase to make it a home environment. I don't see many people switching allegiances so you'd be looking at the next generation which would take time to build.
I think the league would prefer to introduce two expansion teams in the UK rather than have an existing franchise move there.

But then you are asking people to park their allegiance if they already follow a different side. That might work in the States where franchises move around but over here a team is generally for life, even if they are shit.

Say Newcastle get a team, is Dire suddenly giving up being a Bills fan? I doubt it.

But then you are asking people to park their allegiance if they already follow a different side. That might work in the States where franchises move around but over here a team is generally for life, even if they are shit.

Say Newcastle get a team, is Dire suddenly giving up being a Bills fan? I doubt it.
You doubt correctly.

That was the point I was making. I think the UK could sell a ground out 8 or 9 times, but it wouldn't feel like a home game, they'd be 8 or 9 events and once tickets become easier to get due to more availability half the ground would be full with European based fans of the opposition. Then if it's an expansion side you've got the issue with the team being shite for the first few years which would knock the gloss off.

From what I have seen (following since 2012) There is absolutely no need for the UK to have a franchise, no matter how much Neil Reynolds and the like keep pushing it. People who don't live in London might pick one of the 3 games that they stage here at the moment and make a weekend of it like myself and some friends do - others may get the "season ticket" and go to all 3, they do well and the stadiums are usually full - very different though if you are asking people to commit to getting there 8 times in the space of 16 weeks or so because of a number of factors including logistics and cost.

Then you have the above point in that people who are really into it over here have already been following a team and with our culture are unlikely to drop them in favour of this new London team. I could see it doing well for its first few years and then attendances and interest starting to wain after a short while.

I think it would be super fun if they resurrected the Monarchs, but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be an uphill battle to maintain popularity long term. I imagine part of the appeal of the games happening over there right now is the circus scarcity of it all.

Back