• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Around the NFL podcast officially confirmed as finished then. This is oddly devastating news.
Yep been listening to it since COVID and it's been annoying the last six weeks to drive to work etc without it. I'm away next week and it's accompanied me on train journeys and around lots of places both in the UK and abroad, so going to be weird without it to fall back on and kill an hour or so.

Last edited:
Yeah totally. Think I started on 2013, can't even remember now. Was close to the start and I had just gotten into podcasts for my commute over music, I tried like 5 or 6 other NFL ones then found that randomly, and was cracking up and loving it within about 5 minutes. It feels weird to be so sad it's gone, already feel disconnected from the NFL as that show was my grounding point.

It's a real shame, it was clear that the show wasn't coming back on the same platform, but I just assumed it would have a different name and be produced independently. Gregg (my least favourite of the remaining 3) starts NFL Daily next week, which will be him plus a rotating guest that used to be on the show who still work for the NFL. Dan and Marc have been let go, without them it'll be just another NFL podcast.

Yeah was hoping for a Football Clichés style deal when they left the Athletic but obviously not to be. Gregg is clearly the most corporate of the three (works the games for Five over here through the NFL network) so no suprise he's staying, Hanzus and Sessler clearly less so (especially the latter). Wouldn't be surprised to see Gregg, Claybon and Connie (as regular guests) continue it in some way but won't remotely be the same.

Yeah totally. Think I started on 2013, can't even remember now. Was close to the start and I had just gotten into podcasts for my commute over music, I tried like 5 or 6 other NFL ones then found that randomly, and was cracking up and loving it within about 5 minutes. It feels weird to be so sad it's gone, already feel disconnected from the NFL as that show was my grounding point.
Nowt weird about it bud; podcasts are very good at weaseling into the same spot of our brains as a night out to drinks with some pals. Always stings a bit to lose a connection like that, even a parasocial one!

Listened to the first 10 minutes whilst they talked about the old one then turned it off.

Gregg is the least likeable of the three so it's always likely to be too "straight" the most enjoyable thing about ATN was yes it was about football but often tangentially so.

Yeah also listened to the first bit. For me I will wait and hear what we learn from the other two. Today they said a lot without actually saying a lot informative on what happened. Given what Claybon said along the lines of "there are things you can't measure on a spreadsheet." It makes me feel they have been the victims of corporate cost cutting. "We can keep this successful with a 3rd of the cost." style of thinking.

Said it elsewhere but me for the key hook for the Around the NFL pod as a UK fan was the Sunday recap show being out for us so early Monday morning pre commute. Having such an easy and informative, yet funny recap of every game was something no one else offered. Not sure NFL Daily will follow that and it might be dead by the time the season starts.

Yeah also listened to the first bit. For me I will wait and hear what we learn from the other two. Today they said a lot without actually saying a lot informative on what happened. Given what Claybon said along the lines of "there are things you can't measure on a spreadsheet." It makes me feel they have been the victims of corporate cost cutting. "We can keep this successful with a 3rd of the cost." style of thinking.

Said it elsewhere but me for the key hook for the Around the NFL pod as a UK fan was the Sunday recap show being out for us so early Monday morning pre commute. Having such an easy and informative, yet funny recap of every game was something no one else offered. Not sure NFL Daily will follow that and it might be dead by the time the season starts.
There's a Dan and Marc podcast pretty much confirmed, just not when and where yet. I do think they need a straight man to make it work though. I don't particularly like GR, but his pomposity gave them and particularly Dan something to riff off.

Watching Receiver on Netflix and I think we discussed it last year, but the whole God obsession in relation to practically everything grates just so much.

I have no problem with the whole believe in God stuff, but with all the shit that goes on in the world to think he gives a flying fuck about an NFL game is just crazy. Especially when you then get injured in said game you were praying before.

Explains why nutjobs like Trump still get so much support banging on about God despite him being a reprehensible human being.

It's a great deal for Tua, good for him. Personally, I don't think he's a top 10 QB, despite his success last year. I think that was largely down to Mike McDaniel, the mad scientist behind their offense. It's also pretty crippling for the franchise: Tyreek Hill wants to be paid, they've got $30m+ per year tied up in Waddle, similar amounts in Chubb... pretty much half of their salary cap is gonna be to pay 4 players. Good luck building a defense and an o-line with that.

The Tua slander in here, smh.

My starting QB rankings ignoring 2023 and 2024 rookies
Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Rodgers
Jackson
Herbert
Prescott
Hurts
Stafford
Lawrence
Cousins
Goff
Purdy
Tua
Murray
Love
Smith
Carr
Mayfield
Watson
Wilson
Minshew
Jones
Stidham (seems to be ahead of Nix)

Patriots, Colts, Commanders, Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Titans, Texans not included.

Rodgers might be too high and Love too low. Based on 1 season I'd have Stroud above Dak

From Hurts to Tua you could shake them up and put them in any order. Stroud I'd put ahead of Prescott and Herbert. Mahomes is 1 by a distance and I think I'd put Allen & Burrow 2a and 2b. Burrow misses a LOT of time through injury, which is a knock on him, Allen is a TD machine and if he can cut out the mistakes even a bit he'd jump ahead of Burrow.

I'd have Jackson above Allen. Just a better decision maker all round and I think that's so important in a player it's why I think Dak is too high and Lawrence will never be top 10.

I think you've underrated Purdy for the same reason.

Back