• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

You did see KC march 98 yards down the field for a TD with Chad Henne at QB, right? You have seen the 49ers go to the NFC Championship game with a 3rd string QB, right?
That's coaching and scheme. Shanahan designs a game plan to allow Purdy to be functional whilst scheming intermediate targets open. Just as he did with Jimmy G. Both the examples you have given have offensive Head Coaches, so it's not a coincidence imo that Allen has played at a lower level since Daboll left

Are you saying you just have bad coaches?

The Niners have CmC, Kittle and Samuel as top level offensive talent and that's it.

Diggs, Knox and Davis are better than Smith-Schuster, Kelce and Scantling as a unit in terms of talent. And as you say went 98 yards with a less than average QB

MVS isn't even a factor here. He's a deep threat and Henne doesnt have the arm to hit him so it was basically Juju and Kelce.

Allen is not solely responsible for 9 of Buffalo’s 13 wins lmao

Having said that, I’m back on the “McDermott is the idiot who played Nathan Peterman” bandwagon. I think he needs to go.

Fact of the day.

Neither of the 2 QBs in the NFC Championship game were alive the last time the Cowboys played in one

Going early this week
Eagles v 49ers position evaluation
Eagles
QB
WR
OL
CB
49ers
RB
S
LB

TE/DL Equal
Comes down to if a gammy Johnson can block Bosa and if the Eagles safeties and Linebackers can stop the intermediate check downs to Aiyuk, Samuel, Kittle and CMC. I think at least one of Brown and Smith will have a big day and Purdy hasn't seen anything like the Eagles rush or a Championship crowd at the Linc - Eagles, but it'll be tight either way

Chiefs v Bengals.
Mahomes can beat anyone, but I think this is the best 2 QBs in the NFL and the Bengals have the better supporting cast. Mahomes bad ankle hampers their home field advantage - Bengals

Last edited:
Head says Chiefs & Eagles.

Heart wants Bengals & Niners as that's the first real Superbowl I remember (albeit highlights with Mick Luckhurst on Ch4) Jerry Rice at his most glorious.

That was the first one I stayed up to watch. That Rice, Rathman, Craig and Montana offense was special. I didn't follow a team at the time, but looking back I guess I had a soft spot for them because of the star power.

Like a lot of people the hype William Perry got over here after the 85/6 SB was what got me interested in the sport

That was the first one I stayed up to watch. That Rice, Rathman, Craig and Montana offense was special. I didn't follow a team at the time, but looking back I guess I had a soft spot for them because of the star power.

Like a lot of people the hype William Perry got over here after the 85/6 SB was what got me interested in the sport
I was a Bears fan since 1983 so avoid the "sheep" label 😂

Walter Payton got me into the Bears

Same here, although the first game I saw highlights of was the 1984 NFC Championship game (played in '85) which the Bears lost 23-0. Not realising what I was watching I thought I'd picked the worst team in the league to follow.
Made them pay the following year!

Washington fan since the days of John Riggins and Joe Thiesmann. First game I stayed up for was unfortunately a Superbowl demolition courtesy of Jim Plunkett and the Raiders.

Washington fan since the days of John Riggins and Joe Thiesmann. First game I stayed up for was unfortunately a Superbowl demolition courtesy of Jim Plunkett and the Raiders.
That was the same 1st Superbowl for me. At that time I was a big Marcus Allen fan.

Sounds like DeMeco Ryans will be introduced as the new Texans' HC once the 49ers' season is over.

Sounds like DeMeco Ryans will be introduced as the new Texans' HC once the 49ers' season is over.
He could be a very good hire for them. Former player too, for the fan feelgood factor.

I love DeMeco. He's basically been a coach his whole career. At Alabama for his senior year in 2005, I remember our defensive coordinator (Joe Kines, a legend in his own right) saying DeMeco coached the defense more than he did!

I love DeMeco. He's basically been a coach his whole career. At Alabama for his senior year in 2005, I remember our defensive coordinator (Joe Kines, a legend in his own right) saying DeMeco coached the defense more than he did!
One for you Alan and something I know little about, what type of HC is the best, former OC or DC?

Not sure there's a hard and fast rule one way or the other.

IMO the big hurdle when moving from a coordinator role to a HC role is that you become the guy, suddenly you're leading all 53 players and every other coach on the staff, too (and there are many!). Your decisions now necessarily impact the entire team rather than just the area you have proper expertise in. You can doom yourself immediately if you don't properly delegate those responsibilities, and "scouting" coaches is a different beast to scouting players. Changing your leadership style and smartly choosing which facets of the game plan you do and don't want to continue to be in control of are probably more significant determinants to success than the Xs and Os, as it were.

For me personally, I would favor a DC, but that's just because I romanticize the days when shoulder pads were 8 feet wide.

The current vogue is to appoint former OCs as Head coaches. Not so many DCs getting the gig.

Not impossible, but difficult to win a SB just with your defense these days. Everyone wants the new breed of mobile QB so a HC with an OC background is the more obvious bet. Ryans is tremendously well respected, but with a new QB the OC will be a massive hire as well

Not impossible, but difficult to win a SB just with your defense these days. Everyone wants the new breed of mobile QB so a HC with an OC background is the more obvious bet. Ryans is tremendously well respected, but with a new QB the OC will be a massive hire as well
Spot on, Tony.

Back