• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Picked up a DE in the 3rd, then traded for the next pick and got a good looking WR.

Works for me.

Bills draft picks, in order:

CB, OT, WR, OLB, OT, ILB, CB, OG

They have totally focused on offensive line and the back end of the defense. I am pretty satisfied with their draft. Coupled with a very good Free Agency this could be the Bills best off-season in a long time. With the schedule they have I'd be disappointed if they didn't make a run at a Wild Card spot this coming season.

So, the draft is over and the dust has settled... Quite a few 'experts' have chipped in with their views on the draft's winners and losers and a number of them have hailed Buffalo's draft as one of the best. Coupled with our excellent work in Free Agency I cannot wait for the season to start! I think the 49ers and the Eagles also looked like they drafted well. Biggest 'WTF!' of the draft has to be the Jaguars drafting a punter in the 3rd round! Who the hell does that!?

No doubt. Panthers picked up a punter but it was in the 6th I believe. He was the #1/#2 rated punter of the draft class, so it goes to show you just how dumb the Jaguars are. :icon_lol:

Another WTF might be the Redskins drafting another QB in the 3rd.

No doubt. Panthers picked up a punter but it was in the 6th I believe. He was the #1/#2 rated punter of the draft class, so it goes to show you just how dumb the Jaguars are. :icon_lol:

Another WTF might be the Redskins drafting another QB in the 3rd.

Yeah, that was a headscratcher! Cousins (I think it was him) must have been equally bemused. Drafted to sit and ride the pine behind RGIII for the next 12 years!

Do the players have no say on what happens in the draft? Is it all in the clubs/franchises hands? So if a team chooses a players thats that, there is nothing the individual can do about it?

Do the players have no say on what happens in the draft? Is it all in the clubs/franchises hands? So if a team chooses a players thats that, there is nothing the individual can do about it?

They can refuse to sign and re-enter the draft the following year. But it doesn't happen, because if a rookie tried that they'd pretty much be considered toxic and never play a second in the NFL. Eli Manning who won the Superbowl last year with the Giants was originally going to be drafted by the Chargers I believe but he made it clear that he wouldn't play for them BEFORE the draft, so the Chargers drafted Philip Rivers instead and allowed the Giants to draft Eli. In 1983 Jim Kelly was drafted by the Buffalo Bills, but he was so against playing there that he went and played in a rival league instead. That league folded within 3 years and Kelly ended up at Buffalo anyway. He then QB'd Buffalo to 4 straight Superbowls, but lost them all...Those are about the only instances I can think of.

Pretty much. Players get drafted and traded around and there isn't usually a whole lot they can do about it. Once you become a veteran and have several years in the league your options open up and you can be choosier by asking to play in a certain city or system, but for hte most part players are at the mercy of the team. Of course, teams attempt to make everyone happy, but that doesn't always work.

They can refuse to sign and re-enter the draft the following year. But it doesn't happen, because if a rookie tried that they'd pretty much be considered toxic and never play a second in the NFL. Eli Manning who won the Superbowl last year with the Giants was originally going to be drafted by the Chargers I believe but he made it clear that he wouldn't play for them BEFORE the draft, so the Chargers drafted Philip Rivers instead and allowed the Giants to draft Eli. In 1983 Jim Kelly was drafted by the Buffalo Bills, but he was so against playing there that he went and played in a rival league instead. That league folded within 3 years and Kelly ended up at Buffalo anyway. He then QB'd Buffalo to 4 straight Superbowls, but lost them all...Those are about the only instances I can think of.

Technically the Chargers still drafted Eli, but they hade a trade for Rivers (who the Giants would get with their pick) + some other draft picks. That's why a lot of Chargers fans can't stand Eli.

Pretty much. Players get drafted and traded around and there isn't usually a whole lot they can do about it. Once you become a veteran and have several years in the league your options open up and you can be choosier by asking to play in a certain city or system, but for hte most part players are at the mercy of the team. Of course, teams attempt to make everyone happy, but that doesn't always work.

Technically the Chargers still drafted Eli, but they hade a trade for Rivers (who the Giants would get with their pick) + some other draft picks. That's why a lot of Chargers fans can't stand Eli.

You know, I thought they'd traded after picking Eli, but then I read something on Wiki that said they decided to pick Rivers after Eli had made it known he didn't want to play for them.

Good to know, seems a little harsh on the players, they could have to move crazy distances to different teams or have their game hampered by playing in a way that doesn't suit them but then i guess as a youngster they've got to suck it up a bit and try their best to prove they're good enough to demand things their way. When there are so few teams for them to go to as well, opposed to how many football teams there are, not just in this country but around the world, they cant really afford to be anywhere near as picky i guess.

seems a little harsh on the players

It does seem that way. It would be nice if you could pick where you got to go, but remember it's the draft system that keeps parity in the league. Don't forget the salary cap, either. If players could just go wherever they wanted there would be team stacking and wage wars (which there are already when players become Free Agents)

they could have to move crazy distances to different teams

Generally players are on 3-4 year contracts so that's not really a huge issue. Not like they're moving every year.

have their game hampered by playing in a way that doesn't suit them

Not an issue in the NFL. If the player doesn't suit the team, the team won't get them. Not to mention half of the positions play the same regardless of your team. If you're a left guard, you (likely) protect the blind side of your quarterback from big angry defensive players. That doesn't change between teams. If the player is a bruising fullback and a team a pass-first team throwing 70% of the time isn't going to have much use for them and won't waste the roster or salary space.

but then i guess as a youngster they've got to suck it up a bit and try their best to prove they're good enough to demand things their way.

Absolutely. I don't sympathize with kids straight out of college making hundreds of thousands of dollars every week. :icon_lol:

Plus like I said, remember that once a player becomes a veteran the options open.

When there are so few teams for them to go to as well, opposed to how many football teams there are, not just in this country but around the world, they cant really afford to be anywhere near as picky i guess.

Right. There are very few "bad" NFL teams to be on. The pendulum swings with performance, but generally even crappy teams have good things about them. Miami is in a perennial state of "almost there!" flux and have management issues, but it's freaking Miami. If you're in Buffalo, a team that is known for being the division door mat, the city sucks but the fans are rabid and you'll fill out the stadium with crazy half naked fat dudes in the middle of december. Etc. etc.

Generally players are on 3-4 year contracts so that's not really a huge issue. Not like they're moving every year.

The regularity of their moves didn't really bother me, more the distance, you could've had a guy that grew up in Florida say, turned down some big scholarships or something to stay fairly close to his family and then gets dragged across to the opposite corner of the country in the draft. Over here you're never going to be that far away from wherever you want to be, especially if you're picking up that sort of money to spend on private flights or whatever then its easy enough to get places in decent time.

I do like the draft system in terms of distributing the talent around and giving the lesser teams a chance to get the better players, i'd like to see something similar with youth players over here but there isn't a way to implicate it with kids being taken into clubs from an early age and working through 'in house' academies. I'd never really thought about it from a players point of view before though, i suppose if they were really against going certain places they could make get their feelings out there and put some teams off picking them in the first place or talk their way into being traded.

The regularity of their moves didn't really bother me, more the distance, you could've had a guy that grew up in Florida say, turned down some big scholarships or something to stay fairly close to his family and then gets dragged across to the opposite corner of the country in the draft. Over here you're never going to be that far away from wherever you want to be, especially if you're picking up that sort of money to spend on private flights or whatever then its easy enough to get places in decent time.

Irrelevant since the draft is from kids in college (normally senior, sometimes junior year), and even so, if you're the type of player being drafted you can get a scholarship about anywhere you want. When players are drafted they're adults. If they want their family close they can pay for them to move-- they sure as hell can afford it. Would it be nice if they could choose? Sure. Is there a way around it? Not really. And I'm sure they'd rather go to any of the random 32 teams then take a 90% pay cut. ; )

Also, there is a minimum wage amount in the NFL. I believe it's $250k/y, last I checked. No one's hurting for money. Keep in mind the NFL season is also much shorter then the premier league. The season is only 16 weeks long. There's workouts and pre-season, but it's not like it's almost a year long.

I really just have a hard time getting worked up over the poor players not getting to choose.

Last edited:
Irrelevant since the draft is from kids in college (normally senior, sometimes junior year), and even so, if you're the type of player being drafted you can get a scholarship about anywhere you want. When players are drafted they're adults. If they want their family close they can pay for them to move-- they sure as hell can afford it. Would it be nice if they could choose? Sure. Is there a way around it? Not really. And I'm sure they'd rather go to any of the random 32 teams then take a 90% pay cut. ; )

Also, there is a minimum wage amount in the NFL. I believe it's $250k/y, last I checked. No one's hurting for money. I really just have a hard time getting worked up over the poor players not getting to choose.

I'm not really getting worked up about it but i'm sure its lead to some tough decisions for any players that have a really close family and the only interest they have through their time playing college football is from teams on the opposite side of the country, fair enough the money is nice but as we saw with Van Damme over here last year, it doesn't always come first for some people. It was a bit different for him though seen as he could go and carry on doing the same job back over in Belgium for probably a similar wage, i doubt there is any chance of picking up a massive wage if you turn down a couple of NFL teams as a rookie.

I dont think moving your entire extended family, if they were that close, across the country is going to be that easy, you could afford it but then you've got to persuade everyone you're going to miss to come along with you and that might not be quite so easy when they're leaving friends and other family behind themselves.

There isn't any way round it really with the draft system, if they had it so the lowest ranking teams had first choice but the players had the opportunity to refuse then you could be sure the top players would refuse the smaller clubs and wait for the top teams to come calling later on. Again, considering the small number of teams around that can provide that opportunity and that level of income the players cant really afford to be picky if they really want that life, a footballer over here would have God knows how many professional teams in several European countries closer to home than some NFL teams would be to some parts of the US.

No one's living in a different country, completely different situations. Also, an edit I just made a minute ago failing to see your new post, is that the season is quite a lot shorter than premier league. You aren't living with the team practically for a year.

It just comes with the territory. I'm not going to become a pilot then refuse to travel once I get hired.

Last edited:
It does seem that way. It would be nice if you could pick where you got to go, but remember it's the draft system that keeps parity in the league. Don't forget the salary cap, either. If players could just go wherever they wanted there would be team stacking and wage wars (which there are already when players become Free Agents)

Not an issue in the NFL. If the player doesn't suit the team, the team won't get them. Not to mention half of the positions play the same regardless of your team. If you're a left guard, you (likely) protect the blind side of your quarterback from big angry defensive players. That doesn't change between teams. If the player is a bruising fullback and a team a pass-first team throwing 70% of the time isn't going to have much use for them and won't waste the roster or salary space.

Absolutely. I don't sympathize with kids straight out of college making hundreds of thousands of dollars every week. :icon_lol:

Plus like I said, remember that once a player becomes a veteran the options open.

Right. There are very few "bad" NFL teams to be on. The pendulum swings with performance, but generally even crappy teams have good things about them. Miami is in a perennial state of "almost there!" flux and have management issues, but it's freaking Miami. If you're in Buffalo, a team that is known for being the division door mat, the city sucks but the fans are rabid and you'll fill out the stadium with crazy half naked fat dudes in the middle of december. Etc. etc.

Only finished last in their division once in the last 10 years.

I'm not really getting worked up about it but i'm sure its lead to some tough decisions for any players that have a really close family and the only interest they have through their time playing college football is from teams on the opposite side of the country, fair enough the money is nice but as we saw with Van Damme over here last year, it doesn't always come first for some people. It was a bit different for him though seen as he could go and carry on doing the same job back over in Belgium for probably a similar wage, i doubt there is any chance of picking up a massive wage if you turn down a couple of NFL teams as a rookie.

I dont think moving your entire extended family, if they were that close, across the country is going to be that easy, you could afford it but then you've got to persuade everyone you're going to miss to come along with you and that might not be quite so easy when they're leaving friends and other family behind themselves.

There isn't any way round it really with the draft system, if they had it so the lowest ranking teams had first choice but the players had the opportunity to refuse then you could be sure the top players would refuse the smaller clubs and wait for the top teams to come calling later on. Again, considering the small number of teams around that can provide that opportunity and that level of income the players cant really afford to be picky if they really want that life, a footballer over here would have God knows how many professional teams in several European countries closer to home than some NFL teams would be to some parts of the US.

Most players have 2 homes: their family home which they use for the 6 months they aren't mandated to be playing football and their home in their adopted city of the team they play for. They'll spend the season in their 'NFL' home and the off-season in their family home. There are many who love their NFL home so much they choose to settle there- despite what Tech says about the city of Buffalo, most players who play there love the city and live there all year round.

No one's living in a different country, completely different situations. Also, an edit I just made a minute ago failing to see your new post, is that the season is quite a lot shorter than premier league. You aren't living with the team practically for a year.

It just comes with the territory. I'm not going to become a pilot then refuse to travel once I get hired.

Living on the other side of the US to your family would be a lot further away than if i decided to move from my home to many European countries.

Only finished last in their division once in the last 10 years.

You're going to argue with me that Buffalo's been a good team for the past 10 years? ; ) I could've picked a different example but just went with who we've been discussing in the thread.

Living on the other side of the US to your family would be a lot further away than if i decided to move from my home to many European countries.

OK. Yes. They're far away. :surrender:

despite what Tech says about the city of Buffalo, most players who play there love the city and live there all year round.

That was more of a personal note than anything else. ; ) Couldn't pay me to live there. Well, you could... $250k minimum wage ought to do it. Other than that... :D

You're going to argue with me that Buffalo's been a good team for the past 10 years? ; ) I could've picked a different example but just went with who we've been discussing in the thread.

OK. Yes. They're far away. :surrender:

That was more of a personal note than anything else. ; ) Couldn't pay me to live there. Well, you could... $250k minimum wage ought to do it. Other than that... :D

No Buffalo have been a pretty bad team for the last 10 years. They haven't been the division door mat as you originally said but they have been bad! I'd argue that Detroit, Cleveland, St Louis, Oakland, Jacksonville and Miami have put out teams that have been far worse than Buffalo in the last 10 years.

Back