• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Interested to hear about RGIII for the redskins. Hopefully it means they won't be catastrophically shit but after about one good season in fifteen I won't hold my breath.

Interested to hear about RGIII for the redskins. Hopefully it means they won't be catastrophically shit but after about one good season in fifteen I won't hold my breath.

College highlights here:

IMO he is Mike Vick++. And sorry Tech, I think he's going to be better than Cam, everything I've read/seen about him says this kid is sharp as a tack when it comes to understanding complex offenses and defenses. Cam is gifted athletically, but he runs a relatively simple offense and defensive co-ordinators will begin to figure out ways to stop that since he relies almost exclusively on his physical gifts. RGIII is more than just physically gifted, and there are many who say out of him and Luck, RGIII will be the better QB. And Luck is projected to be the next Manning!

IMO he is Mike Vick++. And sorry Tech, I think he's going to be better than Cam, everything I've read/seen about him says this kid is sharp as a tack when it comes to understanding complex offenses and defenses. Cam is gifted athletically, but he runs a relatively simple offense and defensive co-ordinators will begin to figure out ways to stop that since he relies almost exclusively on his physical gifts. RGIII is more than just physically gifted, and there are many who say out of him and Luck, RGIII will be the better QB. And Luck is projected to be the next Manning!

No reason to be sorry: Cam broke every single rookie record in the book. I wouldn't trade him for anyone. RG3 hasn't played a single down in the NFL, so you're welcome to predict all you like. If he does well, so be it, but comparing him to anyone as if it means anything is getting ahead of yourself.

Also, saying Cam only relies on physical gifts and run a simple offense is simply not true. ; )

No reason to be sorry: Cam broke every single rookie record in the book. I wouldn't trade him for anyone. RG3 hasn't played a single down in the NFL, so you're welcome to predict all you like. If he does well, so be it, but comparing him to anyone as if it means anything is getting ahead of yourself.

Also, saying Cam only relies on physical gifts and run a simple offense is simply not true. ; )

Hey, Cam was great last season no question. Will he be able to repeat that? Maybe, maybe not. I think he pretty much ran a one or two reads and run offense, how else do you account for his ridiculous rushing numbers? It played perfectly to his physical talents- throw it if you see the guy is open, run if he isn't. And teams found it pretty tough to stop him when he took off running.

As for comparing RGIII? True, it isn't reasonable yet. But let's just say he has all the physical and mental attributes to become one of the best. Whether he does or not is up to him and his coaches.

In case anyone's interested, I think 5 Live are covering the NFL Trade, bartering, Draft pick thing...

Sorry, for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called....

Yep - not until midnight.

NFL.com had predicted drafts from a load of commentators and everyone has Luck to Indy and RG3 to Washington. After that it is the Vikings and most pundits think they will go for Kalil, but one bloke disagreed and it really threw the top ten picks all over the shop.

I note Philly traded a player to move up. I am expecting the Bucs to try and do the same with the Vikings to get third pick and claim Kalil.

Yep - not until midnight.

NFL.com had predicted drafts from a load of commentators and everyone has Luck to Indy and RG3 to Washington. After that it is the Vikings and most pundits think they will go for Kalil, but one bloke disagreed and it really threw the top ten picks all over the shop.

I note Philly traded a player to move up. I am expecting the Bucs to try and do the same with the Vikings to get third pick and claim Kalil.

I'm not sure the Bucs will move up to get Kalil I think they already have a good LT. There have been a few rumours that my Buffalo Bills are looking to trade up to get the 3rd pick so they can draft Kalil, but I'd be amazed if they did as their General Manager (guy who is in charge of the personnel decisions, the Director of Football if you will) likes to keep his draft picks not give them away to move up to higher draft spot. I think the Vikings will find it hard to get someone to trade places with them for the 3rd pick, I think they'll stay there and draft Morris Claiborne the cornerback.

I really want the Bills to take LB Luke Kuechly or CB Dre Kirkpatrick, unless they do trade up and get Kalil.

And for confirmation, 5 Live are covering the draft from midnight? Is that right? Very cool if so!

What about something a little off the wall getting into the top ten, say Poe or Hightower? Miami look nailed on to take Tannehill, so that is a little left field.

It is on the BBC website that 5-live are covering it on sports extra.

What about something a little off the wall getting into the top ten, say Poe or Hightower? Miami look nailed on to take Tannehill, so that is a little left field.

It is on the BBC website that 5-live are covering it on sports extra.

Miami will almost certainly take Tannehill. I could actually see Tech's Panthers going for Dontari Poe, they need help on the defensive line.

Woooo finally it's heeeere. So tired of hearing about Luck and RG3. Really I just want the season to start already because that's the only thing that will make pundits stfu about them both, but at least draft day being over forces them to move beyond the 24/7 prediction rankings cycle.

I have always had interest in NFL but never really taken it very far. Might try and get into it this year!

My Dad has always been a Redskins fan so will probably follow their fortunes.

A lot of moving around and trading picks this year! Damn you Carolina for taking Luke Kuechly, I'd have loved for him to have been a Bill! Still, pretty pleased with them taking Cornerback Stephon Gilmore. When you play Tom Brady twice a year you'd better have:

a) A good pass rush - Mario Williams, Mark Anderson, Shawne Merriman, Marcel Dareus: Check.

b) A good secondary - Aaron Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Jairus Byrd, George Wilson: Check.

I think this will help the Bills put out one of the top defenses in the NFL for the next few seasons. Happy.

ILB... lame.

I dunno, from everything I've read of Kuechly he can play any of the LB spots and is widely regarded as the best coverage LB to come out in years. He's an every down player who will cover TEs and can even run with WRs. I've read many comparisons to Brian Urlacher or Zach Thomas, both of whom are/were perennial Pro-Bowlers. I'd have loved Kuechly on the Bills defense.

If he's another Zach Thomas (minus the injury problem) then sign me the hell up, but we really, really, really need help on the line. There are a few good prospects left and we're picking early in the 2nd, so I won't be too upset if they grab a guy there.

If he's another Zach Thomas (minus the injury problem) then sign me the hell up, but we really, really, really need help on the line. There are a few good prospects left and we're picking early in the 2nd, so I won't be too upset if they grab a guy there.

There are some positions that are pretty deep in this draft - d-line and WR are those. I think there are players at those positions who can be drafted in rds 2-4 who will be impact players. Interestingly, many mock drafts had the Bills taking a left tackle, and 2 of the players that we were supposed to draft with the 10th overall pick are still available for the start of rd 2. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills got Jonathan Martin or Cordy Glenn with their 2nd round pick. Do you think the Panthers might go for DE Courney Upshaw, or will he be gone before you pick?

I don't pay too much attention to the draft so you're asking the wrong guy. College football doesn't interest me in the least so I tend to just look at who the mocks show us taking and get on with it.

Going into the draft the Bills biggest needs were LT, CB, WR and LB. In the first 3 rounds they have drafted the 2nd best CB in the draft, one of the top 3 LTs (in the 2nd round when he was projected to go in the top 20) and the fastest WR in the draft. I'd say so far they are nailing it.

Back