• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Nerdy Dr Who Geekfest Thread

It was a standalone story arc from 1978/79 ish. For the one season, they had one complete story arc set over 6 separate stories:

The Ribos Operation
The Pirate Planet (utterly brilliant)
The Stones of Blood
The Androids of Tara
The Power of Kroll (one of the worst monsters ever)
The Armageddon Factor

All were 4-part stories with the exception of The Armageddon Factor which was a 6-parter (standard for the classic series to have a couple of 6-parters per season but mostly they were 4 parters).

The Doctor had a new companion for this season - the Time Lady Romana.

The Doctor had a new companion for this season - the Time Lady Romana.

I've seen pics of (one of?) the Romanas,she regenerated at some point? and Peri. ;) Eye candy.

Would you recommend this to be a good place to start with the classic series?

I've seen pics of (one of?) the Romanas,she regenerated at some point? and Peri. ;) Eye candy.

Would you recommend this to be a good place to start with the classic series?

Yes - there were 2 Romanas. The first Romana was in The Key To Time, the 2nd (who Tom Baker was actually married to for several months) appeared in the following 2 seasons.

As for classic series adventures - I'd probably start with something a bit shorter. There are a ton of classic stories I've recommended before, possibly on this thread (I'll check).

The Key To Time is brilliant but I wouldn't recommend starting with it.

The Human Nature/Family of Blood double header was great. And it REALLY helped the build up to Utopia which is one of my favourite episodes of 'New Who'. Derek Jacobi as the Master? What a treat!!

My favourite 10 stories?

Genesis of the Daleks (T Baker)
The Caves of Androzani (Davison)
The Daemons (Pertwee)
Inferno (Pertwee)
The Sea Devils (Pertwee)
The War Games (Troughton)
Pyramids of Mars (T Baker)
Logopolis (T Baker)
The Pirate Planet (T Baker)
The Invasion (Troughton)

Here you go Norway. Knew it was on here somewhere.

Thanks Langers,do you know if the 60s stuff is on DVD?

Some of it is - Google it. I think they've added animation to some of the stories with missing episodes (e.g. The Invasion).

i didn't like the key to time at all.

best Baker for me storywise was S12-14

S12 - ark in space and genesis, all of S13 was great - the best one of his imo, S14 - deadly assassin, robots of death, talons of weng chiang

i think towards the end they did a weird one about e-space that was interesting sci fi wise - warriors gate?

the Daemons is a good call from langers. don't you get some weird extras on the dvds (i don't own any) - check this mark gatiss one out re green death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZI-B7fxUw

The E-Space Trilogy? Full Circle, State of Decay and Warriors Gate I think? Sadly, that saw the introduction of Adric. Ugh.

But yeah, saw some good sciencey stuff.

The E-Space Trilogy? Full Circle, State of Decay and Warriors Gate I think? Sadly, that saw the introduction of Adric. Ugh.

But yeah, saw some good sciencey stuff.

i didn't like adric but i'm all about the story rather than the characters. if you look past the amateur sets at the time, some of the stories were the dogs. planet of evil, brain of morbius, seeds of doom, pyramids of mars from S13 are brill. don't know who wrote them but they should have had some sort of award (even if the planet of evil ripped off the forbidden planet a bit).

i didn't like adric but i'm all about the story rather than the characters. if you look past the amateur sets at the time, some of the stories were the dogs. planet of evil, brain of morbius, seeds of doom, pyramids of mars from S13 are brill. don't know who wrote them but they should have had some sort of award (even if the planet of evil ripped off the forbidden planet a bit).

Agree - Pyramids of Mars in particular is utterly brilliant.

Did you know that they used the actor who played Sutekh to voice the monster in The Satan Pit as his voice is so eerily menacing?

Agree - Pyramids of Mars in particular is utterly brilliant.

Did you know that they used the actor who played Sutekh to voice the monster in The Satan Pit as his voice is so eerily menacing?

i didn't know but it was a godd choice. i think Pyramids was the much better story and didn't have an ending where an all powerful being is defeated for forgetting to put on his seat belt in a space ship - wasn't that the weak ending?

i didn't know but it was a godd choice. i think Pyramids was the much better story and didn't have an ending where an all powerful being is defeated for forgetting to put on his seat belt in a space ship - wasn't that the weak ending?

Yeah - with weird shit on his face too.

Some of it is - Google it. I think they've added animation to some of the stories with missing episodes (e.g. The Invasion).

Thanks mate,I'll see what's out there.Might as well start with the beginning.

Thanks nimrod,appreciated. :)

Wow,they managed to find a new low.There was absolutely nothing in that episode I enjoyed.

The cyberman as a chess automaton was slightly clever but it wasn't great.

It was crap, to be honest this series has been the worst since the doc came back a few ago.

Well said Sir.

The Doc/Matt Smith: Not his fault because I've seen him act in different ways but now he seems to be basically a zany/shouty/wacky parody of himself all the time.

Clara: Not really her fault either,but poncing around,hopping and skipping serving jokes and wise cracks when the cyberdudes have just taken the children she is supposed to care for and keep safe? Really?? In "real life",you know...they could be dead or converted already."See you on Wednesday"....what on earth possessed them to put that sentence in?

The kids: Why were they even there? We all know nothing bad would happen to them in the end and we all know something would happen to them,thank goodness the cyberdude just felt like putting them into some sort of coma!! :facepalm: The girl,gone to the future and a different planet/moon and she was instantly bored. Yes I'm pretty sure that would be an accurate state of mind.

The New Cybermen: They looked cool,did a couple of cool things but never have they felt less menacing.And ofcourse when Porridge remembered he could avoid all this crap they were all blown to kingdom come.

The rubbish soldiers: Their first thoughts were to......throw chairs and tables and the cybermen. Nuff said. :shakehand:

I wish Clara had accepted Porridge's proposal,and left with him but again my hope was crushed. :(
Being very nice to look at is now proven not enough.

Well said Sir.

The Doc/Matt Smith: Not his fault because I've seen him act in different ways but now he seems to be basically a zany/shouty/wacky parody of himself all the time.

Clara: Not really her fault either,but poncing around,hopping and skipping serving jokes and wise cracks when the cyberdudes have just taken the children she is supposed to care for and keep safe? Really?? In "real life",you know...they could be dead or converted already."See you on Wednesday"....what on earth possessed them to put that sentence in?

The kids: Why were they even there? We all know nothing bad would happen to them in the end and we all know something would happen to them,thank goodness the cyberdude just felt like putting them into some sort of coma!! :facepalm: The girl,gone to the future and a different planet/moon and she was instantly bored. Yes I'm pretty sure that would be an accurate state of mind.

The New Cybermen: They looked cool,did a couple of cool things but never have they felt less menacing.And ofcourse when Porridge remembered he could avoid all this crap they were all blown to kingdom come.

The rubbish soldiers: Their first thoughts were to......throw chairs and tables and the cybermen. Nuff said. :shakehand:

I wish Clara had accepted Porridge's proposal,and left with him but again my hope was crushed. :(
Being very nice to look at is now proven not enough.

Agree 100% - but she is very nice to look at

Back