• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Pretty much. I'm not angry with my mate (who had laid one aside for me) at all though - the bloke he gets them from has had to take back loads from him, meaning his exciting summer of great gigs is now totally fucked.

One of those things, but I am so gutted - I was really looking forward to seeing one of my favourite ever bands. I don't think any of my mates from back in Manchester are going to their gig up there in August either, which was my back up option.

I hear that a lot of guest list style perks are disappearing. Some promoters even want to introduce a paying guest list. FFS that is contrary to the meaning of guest list...

I can recall times when a friend used to text me 2-3 times a month with gig offers. Rare as rocking horse shit now.

Of course, there are alot less tours happening too. A fair few people in the business are scratching around for work from what I hear...

I have always been told that you never know for certain until the day itself.

My mate working in the business is also well up front. If you really want to go, buy a ticket. Which is fair enough (though he has worked some major magic for me, for which I will forever be in his debt).

Can't argue with that, LJ. The whole reason why I was going was because I couldn't afford to buy a ticket, and it was a sort of consolation gig for missing Glasto. And I've never been 'on the guest list' for anything before.

Looks like I might be able to get to their Manchester gig after all though - fingers crossed for that.

Of course, there are alot less tours happening too. A fair few people in the business are scratching around for work from what I hear...
You say that there are less tours, which I agree with. It seems places like the Civic are holding more and more Comedy nights of unfunny comedians who've been on Mock The Week once then think they can do a tour of 3000 seat venues.

On the otherhand there seems to be 100s of festivals, they must be close to rearching saturation point. You can still buy Leeds Festival tickets which shows they are not as popular as previous years.....apart from Glastonbury that is.

I've now got tickets for the Manchester gig. I had to pay for them (birthday present) but at least I'll get to see them.

You say that there are less tours, which I agree with. It seems places like the Civic are holding more and more Comedy nights of unfunny comedians who've been on Mock The Week once then think they can do a tour of 3000 seat venues.

On the otherhand there seems to be 100s of festivals, they must be close to rearching saturation point. You can still buy Leeds Festival tickets which shows they are not as popular as previous years.....apart from Glastonbury that is.

Comics are easier & cheaper - 1 dude & a microphone. Set up and souncheck are well easy. Everyone is a winner. Just be careful selecting your comic. Jerry Sadowitz is doing the wulfrun in november - I'd say he's a must see (at least once!)

Labels are loving the festivals as there are no ongoing costs like tours. Indeed, I understand labels are advising bands to play festivals as they won't fund tours right now. However, the festivals thing can be dodgy, there are definitely too many of them, and I'm sure loads were cancelled last year. I expect festivals to be cancelled this year, owing to the price of living pressures. That said, some folk do a festival as an exchange for a holiday.

I've now got tickets for the Manchester gig. I had to pay for them (birthday present) but at least I'll get to see them.

Congrats! & happy birthday.

Bit of old school class I pulled of the shelves the other day.

Glad to hear you got tickets. I'm hoping this weather makes a quick exit for two weeks time. Although the wet-weather gear and wellies are being prepared.

Has anyone on heard heard of Junip? It's Jose Gonzales's new band and it sounds MUCH better than his (IMHO rather bland) solo stuff.

I really like them.

Could any of you suggest some 'classical' music to me?

Very randomly I have been putting BBC Radio 3 (I think) and Classic FM on in the car... It's really relaxing and I quite like it, perhaps a guilty pleasure seens as I am 21!

On the music I like=

System of a Down & Atreyu are my 2 favourite bands, Eminem is my favourite artist (shoot me down!!), and I also like older stuff such as Richie Valens, Beatles etc.

I like that Langdale, good find!

Could any of you suggest some 'classical' music to me?

Very randomly I have been putting BBC Radio 3 (I think) and Classic FM on in the car... It's really relaxing and I quite like it, perhaps a guilty pleasure seens as I am 21!

On the music I like=

System of a Down & Atreyu are my 2 favourite bands, Eminem is my favourite artist (shoot me down!!), and I also like older stuff such as Richie Valens, Beatles etc.

Strauss - never go wrong with a bit of Strauss.

I like that Langdale, good find!

Good. Their album is called 'Fields' - some cracking tunes on it. Loads of tracks that have a slow but triumphant build up. I think his voice is great, but it's refreshing to hear so much production behind it - it means it isn't just his voice that carries each track.

Roll on Moseley Folk festival - they're playing on the day I'm going - along with The Bees and Willy Mason. Tinariwen are headlining that evening - should be a belting day out.

Twitter has just proved its worth for me...

One of the blokes from one of my favourite bands, Four Year Strong (I doubt anyone else on here is a fan), tweeted that he and another band mate had writers block and 'this' happened.

Genius, considering this is their usual sort of stuff.

Useless fact for the day, when i went to see them in Birmingham, i nearly ran over the guy on the right in the first video.

Last edited:
They were very good live SLA. Saw them around the same time in both Nottingham and Derby.

I saw Incubus at HMV Forum, London last night. OH MY FUCKING GOD. Hands down the best gig I have ever been to.

To see your favourite band in such a small, intimate venue playing some of their new stuff for the first time EVER in front of a live audience as well as a lot of their older tracks... well, words can't describe how happy it made me, to be honest.

To anyone who knows of Incubus (and if you don't, where the hell have you been for the last 12 years?!) They opened up with Megalomaniac, Wish You Were Here and Pardon Me... BOOM. They played tracks like Drive, Nowhere Fast, Nice To Know You, I Miss You, Circles, Are You In? .... the list goes on. I was blown away and it was absolutely amazing.

When they come back in November, I shall be going to do it all again.. only not with 2000 others, more like 15,000 others!

How do you get to listen to all these obscure bands?

Back