• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Athlete's 2nd album was a bit crap, but I do love Wires. Gorgeous song.

Shit 2nd albums:

The Killers
The Pigeon Detectives
The Fratellis
The Darkness

Enjoyed all their first albums but none of their second albums.

Yeah The Darkness is another good example. Brilliant first album.

Agree about Wires too.

I haven't listened to that one. Will check it out.

Definitely worth a listen.

Reef did 2 decent albums then went belly up.
Loved the stereophonics first album. 2nd album was ok. Then they fell off the cliff edge.

Turin Brakes haven't bettered their first album, nor have Zero7.

I absolutely loved the Phonics when they were around. They did tail off in terms of albums though. Turin Brakes was a great debut too.

You get the odd exception like Radiohead who produced an average first album then really hit the mark with their second.

I like the first 2 Phonics albums a lot and agree they started to tail off somewhat from JEEP onwards.

Word Gets Around is great. Traffic = awesome.

I think I learnt every song on WGA on guitar at some point. I bought Local Boy In The Photograph single as well.

I was a huge Mansun fan in the 90s too. I bought every single up to Little Kix (3rd album). The second album was good but not AS good as Attack Of The Grey Lantern IMO. Little Kix was underrated too IMO.

LJ - Up to Track 4 on Athlete's Black Swan. Hmmmm. It's all very bland and generic. Nothing like the bouncy quirky debut.

I Can Only Disappoint You. What a brilliant brilliant tune.

it's simply a case of running out of decent songs whilst under pressure to produce new albums after a money spinning debut

pixies album bossanova was for instance written in the studio after a long time touring. they wrote music for a number of new songs almost on the spot and then had to wait while charlie boy wrote some words. hardly surprising it's not the pixies album people would choose to listen to.

I think it was Hereford who had a thread to name the band that produced best first three albums - may have been on the mix. I think he named Wire for which he deserves people's undying love and respect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y96TSCAwCC4

Touring definitely has it's problems. Instead of being in your hometown writing an album you're having to do it on the road while promoting your first album.

There's only one Killers song i stand, i can never remember the name of it though.

Might buy tickets to go and see Twin Atlantic again...

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUWoTzsbxOM[/video]

...trying to find some Ben Howard tickets on eBay for a decent price too, shit's proving difficult!

PPB likes this one .

I don't usually post on this thread, but welcome back, Toon, you've been missed. Hopefully this is a permanent return?

I've listened to the last 'proper' Blink182 album 4 times today, think it was creatively called 'Blink182' the one before they split anway. Is forgot how brilliant it is, I love pretty much every track on their and the songs sound so much more grown up than their early stuff without becoming dull.

I see Mika has a new cd coming out soon.
I'm simply overjoyed however to hear that Frank Eddie appears to be releasing his debut album next month - for me that'll be a must have.
Carter USM are re-releasing 1992 in october too. Good album, but the mastering is poor. I hope they've fixed that. The extra disc looks worthy too (I had an awesome tape of the live gig they're including).

Also (forgive me for this nimrod) working up to purchasing my first fuck buttons cd...

Back