• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I was talking with my friend at the marillion gig last night, & the venue was only two thirds full. Across the music scene gigs are emptier than normal.
I used to do one or two gigs a week. Now I struggle to get to that a month and most of them tend to be pub/club gigs rather than the big venues.

I remember one march having 5 gigs in the same month.
I'm a little more selective now. I tempered the urge by widening range & trying the theatre, comedians & stuff.
Been to a few classical shows too, which have been very uplifting.

Nowadays though, I do find a couple or more months will pass between gigs.

According to friends, there is very little out there. There appears to be less promoters, & more in house promotion is happening.

Record labels have for 2+ years now been focussing on bands doing the festival circuit rather than tours, as they simply won't fund tours.

I find myself getting to a lot less gigs now than i did say 3-4 years ago, the most saturated spell of gig attendance i can think of was something like 4 gigs in 8 days with a line up along the lines of The Klaxons, Maximo Park, Jamie T and The Subways. Not sure if i'll have even managed 4 gigs this calendar year.

I want to draw your attention to this duo, Letherette, from Wolverhampton of all places! They are currently making some of the nicest house music out there, and have just been signed to Ninja Tune records, one of the best labels going. So check this link, join the mailing list and get a free download of the groovey 'Warstones' off their upcoming EP. It really is some top notch stuff, whether you like electronic music or not. If you're in Wolverhampton, keep an eye out for live shows as I'd say they know how to lift the roof off a gig.

http://www.ninjatune.net/letherette/

Apparently, you can get an MP3 album for 99p from Amazon at the moment.

If you search through the 'Essential Artists under £4' range, use the code CLOUD99P and it checks out at 99p.

There are around 600 to choose from - not tried it yet but worth a look for a quid.

(Go to HotUKDeals for more info - I can't guarantee if this works but thought I'd pass it on).

NWW - have you heard Band of Horses new album?

Some excellent tracks on it. It's more of the same but that's not a bad thing. Need to get myself a copy ASAP.

I'm off to watch The Fratellis in Oxford on Saturday.

NWW - have you heard Band of Horses new album?

Some excellent tracks on it. It's more of the same but that's not a bad thing. Need to get myself a copy ASAP.

I have mate. Heard some of their new stuff when they played Brum last too. It's ok, no Infinite Arms though.

How new is this Band of Horses album? Not sure if I already have 'aquired' it.

Cheers Just looked: Mirage Rock. I'll check it out.

That's the one. I'll assume my friend is a very naughty boy and I'll lambast him for it. (Before handing him a blank CD).

Back