• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Hello.

I've read a few Music threads on various forums over the years but never have I read a thread with so few references to bands I listen to and so many band names I've either never heard of or never heard play....for every 100 bands mentioned I've probably not heard or heard of 98 of them. :)

So my taste is obviously far from most people here it seems.Another one of my (mis)conceptions shattered,I thought at least 50% of British music lovers had a place in their Cd rack for Prog rock of various kinds.

I don't mind listen to alot of different stuff but what I generally buy is Prog rock,power metal,heavy metal and hard rock.

Some of my favourite bands are Arena,Pendragon,Genesis,Marillion (Fish era),Edguy,Gamma Ray,Sabaton,Ayreon,Blind Guardian,Rhapsody (Of Fire),Shadow Gallery,Sonata Arctica,Nightwish,Uriah Heep,Elvis Costello(first few albums),Boomtown Rats,Virgin Steele,Stranglers,Graham Parker,Ian Hunter/Mott the Hoople,Sparks,Squeeze,The Only Ones,Strawbs,Stiff Little Fingers,The Jam,Helloween,Iced Earth,Deep Purple,early Status Quo.

:)

Where is King Crimson????!!

On Queen, Day at the Races/Night of the Opera are probably my faves.
Tie your mother down & Now I'm here are 2 of my fave tracks.

Great albums. Sheer Heart Attack is probably my favourite as it has the sublime Brighton Rock. Tuuuuuune.

Couldn't resist. Love the drumming and the mental guitar harmonies in this song.

Any Rush fans here ? I'm guessing this is a General Music thread ?

Got the new album Clockwork Angels on Monday, Brilliant. Can't wait to see them in Manchester Next Year.

Frank Munro is a big Rush fan. I believe he went to see them last year/the year before?
I posted up a link with the tour dates on here for him a few pages back.

Interesting band. Never really listened to them much since I got the Hold Your Fire album.
2112 still makes me chuckle.

Couldn't have had more different gig experiences last week. Firstly, I saw Coldplay at Coventry Ricoh Arena. There was something like 50,000 people there. The two lads I went with aren't massive gig-goers, so they were happy to stand on the half way line and watch from there. I'm not a massive fan of arena tours. The atmosphere is usually lost on such a large crowd, but fair play to Coldplay, they attempted to combat this by handing out glow in the dark wristbands that flashed to the tracks. It was an impressive sight. Luckily it was a gorgeus summers evening and it was quite an experience standing in the middle of a football pitch with four stands worth of people dancing and jumping about with flashing lights on their arms...

After this my Mrs managed to bag tickets for an exclusive and intimate Biffy Clyro gig at Swindon Oasis Leisure Centre as their warm up to Download Festival. They were absolutely superb. I was never a massive fan of Biffy but got the back catalogue in a week before this gig and nailed it over and over again to learn their stuff. It's amazing how many of their songs I recognised and I am definitely a converted fan.

Next up for me is Stone Roses in Manchester next Sunday.

A mate of mine went to Cov to see Coldplay. He said it wasd the best gig he's ever been to.

I see alice cooper is doing the civic, with ugly kid joe & duff mckagan supporting.

I al;so hear that the wonderstuff, PWEI & Jesus Jones are doing a show at the academy in brum in december.

Devin townsend is playing the civic, & I think it clashes with the madness gig I already have tickets for.

Also, Muse has just announced a tour, & I feel I can't be arsed to go...

I al;so hear that the wonderstuff, PWEI & Jesus Jones are doing a show at the academy in brum in december.

Yep - new Wonder Stuff album out in November and they have jumped on the Christmas tour bandwagon - December 22nd at Brum "Sleigh the UK" tour. It's only £20.00 as well and I wnat to catch up with Jesus Jones.

Next up for me - Peatbog Faeries and Seth Lakeman at Conkers start of July.

Going to see Blink 182 tonight :D

My sister went last Thursday and i'm going tomorrow, not really that excited about it to be honest, probably because the shower of cunts decided to delay it over a year and so the tickets have been sitting around in my house forever, i hope they completely ignore their new album and just play their old stuff. I'm much more excited about seeing All American Rejects and Twin Atlantic as the support instead, shame Four Year Strong aren't their too, they did the NIA dates.

It was really really good man, amazing night! You'll be glad to hear that they hardly touched their new stuff and only really played their old awesome stuff. I think even they know their new album is shit! I was pissed too about it being delayed a year but it was still a great night :) Worth it!

All american Rejects were really good too, the lead singer was quite a laugh!

It was really really good man, amazing night! You'll be glad to hear that they hardly touched their new stuff and only really played their old awesome stuff. I think even they know their new album is shit! I was pissed too about it being delayed a year but it was still a great night :) Worth it!

All american Rejects were really good too, the lead singer was quite a laugh!

I found it hard to really get that into it to be honest, it was pretty awesome to see the difference in the crowd when they played a new song compared to the old stuff, it was like they were watching a support act no-one had heard of, nice to see that year they delayed the gig was well spent writing a new album so they weren't playing a glorified greatest hits tour, because the fans really showed thats what they wanted. They did play well i'll give them that but i was a bit annoyed by their stage craft between songs, just came across as a couple of guys that had got a bit too old for what they were trying to do and Hoppus seems like the least funny guy in the world that is determined to change that impression, randomly saying penis in songs doesn't make you a comedian. I wasn't a fan of Travis Barkers over indulgent, ego-inflating drum solo session either, shit went on far too long and it wasn't even like he was playing anything to match up with the music playing over the top.

I saw All American Rejects a few years ago at Rock AM Ring, they were pretty similar there, gave the crowd some abuse, who were quiet mainly because he was talking to them in a foreign language, so i figured he was just a drunk guy missing the point back then. Seems he's like that everywhere though, the people i was with all thought he was being a complete prick and he seems to have taken some stick on the net about it too but i find him pretty entertaining, i'm not really sure whether he's actually a prick, just putting on an act on stage or is a little bit fucked in the head.

I only caught half of the Twin Atlantic set too, i feel i let myself down there, been a few years since i've been to the NEC and misjudged just how long that walk from the car parks to the arena is.

Back