• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Dot Rotten is our security guard's cousin, apparently.

I'm not really into the genre too be honest. But every time I hear a song of his I like it.

I never really persevered with Radiohead post OK Computer, but I was listening to Amnesiac on the way into work this morning. This song never fails to engross me:

I never really persevered with Radiohead post OK Computer, but I was listening to Amnesiac on the way into work this morning. This song never fails to engross me:

Best tune they've done in years. The new album has a pretty cool tune called Lotus Flower that you might like....

As a drummer, can you get the timing of it before the drums come in?

As a drummer, can you get the timing of it before the drums come in?

DDW, I still want an answer to this.... Can you tap along the right rhythm before the drums kick in?

DDW, I still want an answer to this.... Can you tap along the right rhythm before the drums kick in?

Sorry just seen this. You're on about Lotus Flower? It starts on a straight 4 beat. As it progresses Phil adds some double taps but if you count a steady 4 all the way along, it never goes out of time. Not sure if you mean something different cos there is no issue in that song?

Last edited:
I meant Pyramid Song mate. I can't work it out, but that's why I like it so much...

I meant Pyramid Song mate. I can't work it out, but that's why I like it so much...

Now that you mention it, its really interesting! Just spent best part of an hour figuring it out..... I was initially tempted to say 4/4, but there are a lot of triplets in there, giving it that swing feeling. From what I can tell it goes 123 123 1234 etc, but Thoms phrase on piano is just bars of 4 repeated. Begin counting 123 after Phils initial drum intro , as that is just a half note 1 2 3, as opposed to the verses being quarter note 123's. So begin counting 123 at 2:07 and ignore the drum intro. As a drummer I usually found that once I had mastered a tricky beat, the intro came naturally and I could do any type of beat there as long as it fitted into the trickier beat for the verses.
What makes Pyramid Song quite tricky is that the drummer does some off-beats on the ride cymbal which generally throw people off when counting. Its a lovely jazzy/swing beat, off beats and accents all over the place. It could be 16/8 as one phrase on piano seems to stretch out over 8 bars of 123 123 1234 123 123. If you get me?
tbh, I always use my 'feel' to pick up on rhythms like this. Interesting one though, never noticed it before. Sorry if I have confused you, love stuff like this.... :)

This is a teaser, but if you have a youtube account, you can see the full video...

Just listened to On Melancholy Hill by Gorillaz, thought it was a pretty relaxing song :)

Also have any of you ever heard of an artist on YouTube called Feint?

Anyone with any kind of interest in dance/house/disco (or simply great, uplifting music) should have a listen to this (Franky Knuckles FTW):

Good stuff Toon!

This has to be one of my all time favourites.

Finally got my mitts on the Chemical Brothers Don't Think, a live cd/dvd which arrived this weekend.
Not checked out the dvd yet, as no time, but had the cd on in the car & it booms like a big boomy thing that goes boom!

Got around to watching the dvd of this this weekend.

awesome film!

Amazing moment as the credits are scrolling & I see an old friends name!

Currently am miffed at zavvi for not yet posting out the new spiritualized album...:rage:

Last edited:
Two new CD's arrived today... Radiohead OK Computer and The Bends. Have any of you heard these guys?! They're great!

Back