• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Currently listening to The Divine Comedy.

I love Neil Hannon. Genius.

Just listened to The Horrors new album "Skying"

Very pleasantly surprised....it's great stuff.

Guess who im going to see later on this year ?

Just been listening to some oldies on Spotify. What a tune Bernadette is by the Four Tops. Legendary vocals from Levi Stubbs, awesome bassline from James Jamerson. Their best song IMO and they did some great songs like Reach Out and I Can't Help Myself.

The marvellous Elbow are now on BBC Three. Watch them if you can because they are fucking ace.

Spooky, ive been doing the same on youTube !!

Levi is a gift from God

The bassline in Bernadette is epic, and Jamerson is my favorite bassist of all time. 'Matter of fact, I made a Jamerson tribute bass which I nicknamed Igor. Kudos to you for knowing who he is; not many know The Funk Brothers by name. :)

james_t3cherson.jpg

There's quite a few videos of Jamerson's basslines isolated from the master tapes which are cool to listen to. This one is my fave. Great bassline:

Incidentally my fave bass players are probably John-Paul Jones, Mike Joyce and Bruce Foxton. For sheer fluidity and tone there's none like them IMO

Basslines to Ramble On, Barbarism Begins At Home, and Eton Rifles :worshippy: :worshippy:

Ramble on is fantastic. I've tried to learn it a few times to no success. :surrender:

Jameson was cool ( and only using one finger ?) Apparently the Funk brothers had more number 1's than Elvis, The Beatles and Michael Jackson put together !!!!

As far as bassists go, Jaco, John Paul Jones and Nathan Lemar Watts, the 70's Stevie Wonder stuff was off the Funk scale :)

Right, he only used "the hook", his right index finger to play everything. Pretty amazing, I have a hard time playing a lot of his stuff using two or three fingers.

Back