• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Not a massive Coldplay fan by any stretch of the imagination but I thought they were excellent last night. God knows what Beyonce is going to offer tonight.

Best sets I've seen:

Elbow- simply brilliant as always.
Friendly Fires- superb, especially 'Hawaiian Air'. Would like to have seen more.
Mumford and Sons- now I don't generally like this beardy folky crap, but it was a good set (at least the 4 songs I caught were).
Aloe Blacc- old skool soul reborn, great stuff.
Noah and the Whale- they only showed 2 tracks but I liked them!
Chemical Brothers- did what they always do.

Coldplay and U2 may well have been brilliant, but they each appeal about as much as catching venereal disease...

Oh and I just noticed this look-alike:

Pete Turner, Elbow:

IMG_8484.jpg

Bubbles, junky from The Wire:

Bubbles-the-wire-psd33906.png

Went to see Fleet Foxes at Wolves civic on Thursday, truly brilliant they were though the set list was a bit strange. I forgot what a good venue the Civic is though, much better than the 'new' accademy which is the only other similar sized venue in the west midlands that springs immediately to mind.

Also whoever thought of selling two pinters at gigs is a flaming genius. :drink2:

Last edited:
If you didn't see the Janelle Monae set at Glastonbury, find it somewhere (red button or online) and watch it. Without a doubt the best show of the weekend for me. Even if the music doesn't float your boat the performance was spectacular, simply stunning.

Also liked Jessie J with a little girl from the crowd doing 'Price Tag'- that was quite a performance too!

I thought Beyonce was great last night. Not a big R&B fan, but it made a welcome change from all the white guys with guitars and beards.

I thought Beyonce was great last night. Not a big R&B fan, but it made a welcome change from all the white guys with guitars and beards.

Couldn't agree more. I hate all the bland, identikit, unexceptional dross that predominates, which is why Janelle Monae stood out. She put on an awesome show- kind of a female James Brown, Funkadelic and Little Richard rolled into one! It was so superior to some of the crap that I had the misfortune to watch- The Horrors- utter, utter, talentless, tuneless shit. Bombay Cycle Club- boring rubbish. The Vaccines- music by numbers borefest. Bellowhead- what's the point of them?

Friendly Fires- superb, especially 'Hawaiian Air'. Would like to have seen more.

Ahh, good old Friendly Fires - one of my favourite bands. Actually, I was going to comment on their performance, because I've seen them live a couple of times and weirdly I thought their performance at Glasto was far from their best. It's happened before. Incubus are my favourite band of all time and I saw them at Reading Festival (in 05 I think) and they were awful - poor set list and just got eaten up by the festival crowd who weren't all there to see them. I think the same happened to FF this weekend.

That's not to say I don't love them. And Pala is a fantastic album. I think sometimes being a fan of a band can blindfold you in to thinking they're amazing even when they're off.

Everything Everything - again, one of my favourite bands but I watched their set from Glasto and the crowd just weren't in to it. Ah well.

Couldn't agree more. I hate all the bland, identikit, unexceptional dross that predominates, which is why Janelle Monae stood out. She put on an awesome show- kind of a female James Brown, Funkadelic and Little Richard rolled into one! It was so superior to some of the crap that I had the misfortune to watch- The Horrors- utter, utter, talentless, tuneless shit. Bombay Cycle Club- boring rubbish. The Vaccines- music by numbers borefest. Bellowhead- what's the point of them?

I agree with a lot of that, but just wondering what you don't like about Bellowhead? I think they're great. (I actually really like The Vaccines but I sort of agree with your summary of them - they're nothing special whatsoever but I do like their songs).

I managed to get through the weekend without watching a single second of Glasto footage. And now all the revellers will be coming home, stinking to high heaven and about to start their comedowns. That's one thing I won't miss.

Instead, it's a red hot day, I've got the day off and so we're taking the kids to Dudley Zoo. Excitement overload!!

Well tonight is the night........yes I am off to Villa Park to watch the Pet Shop Boys and some old boyband!!

If it wasn't bad enough that I was going to this I am now dealing with with 2 women in a fluster about how to get there! It should be simply, leave Bescot Stadium at just after 5, arrive at Witton 10 mins later, walk to the Holte End.....get annoyed.........walk back to Witton and catch train back to Bescot.

Oh no, this is now turning into a stress out mission "The train will be packed, we should get on the train at an earlier stop, we should leave at 4, no 3 no 2 ah we should have left yesterday morning"

Give.me.bloody.strength.

I agree with a lot of that, but just wondering what you don't like about Bellowhead? I think they're great. (I actually really like The Vaccines but I sort of agree with your summary of them - they're nothing special whatsoever but I do like their songs).

I managed to get through the weekend without watching a single second of Glasto footage. And now all the revellers will be coming home, stinking to high heaven and about to start their comedowns. That's one thing I won't miss.

Instead, it's a red hot day, I've got the day off and so we're taking the kids to Dudley Zoo. Excitement overload!!

I might be going to Dudley Zoo today as well, see how my adopted Red Panda is doing.

I might be going to Dudley Zoo today as well, see how my adopted Red Panda is doing.

Cool. If you see a stressed looking couple with a smiley baby trying to calm down a shrieking toddler, that'll be us so come and say hello!

The zoo trip is now in doubt due to hair issues, for the missus, who knew animals were such fashion critics?

Zoo trip did go in the end. Langdale, dont suppose you were the bloke who's son was telling the peacock to get out of the food bit were you?

Zoo trip did go in the end. Langdale, dont suppose you were the bloke who's son was telling the peacock to get out of the food bit were you?

Yes! He bloody loved it today. Bossy little sod that he is. I'm presuming that was you and your other half sat on the wooden bench right outside the cafe? If I'd known that was you, I'd have said hello.

Indeed it was, i'd seen a few families with baby daughter and slightly older son so wasn't convinced on making contact.

At least your lad had was trying something constructive with the peacock, trying to get it back outside, my girlfriend just decided to feed them Hula Hoops and thus we were swarmed by the buggers, you'd think at 20 she'd know better.

Right time for my review of the Take That gig at Villa Park.

My first time in the Holte End up in the gods and miles away from the screaming fat wenches that were reliving their youth.

I really don't think Football stadiums are that good for concerts, especially when you are sat at the back of stands as some of the sound quality is lost (although last night that wasn't such a bad thing).

The support Act - The Pet Shop Boys. 45 mins from them as they smashed out their "hits" and were joined by some bizarrely dress dancers (Think Italia 90 mascot)

They did ok, but it was a very watered down set from them due to the fact they couldn't really take over the stage.

The Main Act - Fair to say the music is not my taste and some of the songs made me want to pull my eyes out and stick them in my ears to block out the noise but I have to say they can put on a show. Who ever is in charge of the production of the tour needs to take a lot of credit.

The gig started with 4 of them doing the stuff they did when they got back together, that wasn't bad as those songs are easy on the ears. Then came the entrance of an ego that could fill Villa Park on its own - Mr R Williams. He is an arrogant twat and has a limited singing voice but he can get a crowd going. He did a solo set of about 5 songs which was littered with a few swear words that had the kids giggling.

Then it was all 5 and they played their latest album and then ruined the night by doing their old stuff. Overall not as bad as I feared but thats me done for a few years in the "well I come to watch the shit you like" stakes.

Back