• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Felt the foos are over-rated ever since their first album, which was ok, but they then played a tour that had a 45 min headline slot. Felt ripped off.

1994 was ace - dubnobasswithmyheadman, cleansing, troublegum, mellow gold, downward spiral, superunknown, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, ill communication, lifeforms, Music for the Jilted Generation, Pulp Fiction soundtrack, Divine Intervention and loads of others. Seem to recall going to 5 gigs in march 1994 alone.

Felt the foos are over-rated ever since their first album, which was ok, but they then played a tour that had a 45 min headline slot. Felt ripped off.

1994 was ace - dubnobasswithmyheadman, cleansing, troublegum, mellow gold, downward spiral, superunknown, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, ill communication, lifeforms, Music for the Jilted Generation, Pulp Fiction soundtrack, Divine Intervention and loads of others. Seem to recall going to 5 gigs in march 1994 alone.

Divine Intervention is an interesting album. There actually is a lot to like (213 for a start - immense riff) and the solos to Dittohead and Mind Control are insanely good, but it just felt like a bit of a drop off from the magnificence of the three albums that preceded it. Then again, I love Diabolus In Musica and God Hates Us All so what do I know?

I think Slayer were unlucky in following the 3 prior albums. Decade of Aggression is also a phenomenal listen, still.
I also still recall the tour with machine head as support. A lot thought machine head being the new thing would blow slayer away. And machine head were good, no bones about that. But they didn't come close, 3 songs in slayer could have left having been the superior group.

At least a semblance of hope here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39239133
As part of the touting crackdown, ministers will accept in full the recommendations of a review by Professor Michael Waterson.
In the report, he suggested ticket sellers should have tougher anti-bot measures in place with a facility to report bot attacks, stronger enforcement of existing consumer rights laws, and the threat of further action if the industry does not act against rogue ticket traders.

my 2016 year CD current pick. 1 hr 18m. i was gonna swap the DIIV track for a does of punk from Anxiety but think a couple of mates might complain. though the last track will blast them to high heaven if i leave it in.

Wardenclyffe - S U R V I V E
Orlando - Exploded View
Lower Depths - The KVB
La Distinción - Lorelle Meets The Obsolete
Beating Heart - Hydrogen Sea
Is the Is Are - DIIV
Wounded Wing - the duke spirit
A Hundred Ropes - Minor Victories

Clouds That Cover The Sun - TOY
Give It Up - Angel Olsen
Hollow - On Dead Waves
Good Grief - Nocturnal Habits
Got It Bad - Male Gaze
Gertrudis, Get Through This! - MOURN
Don't Get Lost - The Brian Jonestown Massacre
One More - Weaves
Stimulation - Preoccupations
Someday Come - LUH
Jane Cum - Japanese Breakfast
Hypnotisoitu viharukous - Oranssi Pazuzu

finally got round to having a proper listen. the tracklist has changed, as the above doesn't have my fave on it. Feedback as promised:
first, usually the cd starts with a self evident opening track, and usually said track is long. Threw me having the short intro.

the ahnoni track - mentalist lyrics of the year award!
then 6, 7 & 8 is DIIV, duke spirit & MV, masterclasses each.
TOY - couldn't quite get it, probably didn't live up to the predecessors. Liked angel olsen though.

then I get hit by lets eat grandma, i guess a late addition. let me say this track is fucking bliss. the reason why we seek out new experiences of music. phenomenal track. absolutely loved it. Have had that on loud in the car. really fucking good.

the tracks following that nod a lot towards variously drone (avery, jon hopkins) with ska tinges, and sounds remeniscent of early jam (can't recall ow if that was weaves, or preoccupations). male gaze has a killer riff (not sure about the vocalist though), and nodded a lot to BJTM.

Couldn't abide mourn. possibly the name put me off early?

finally got round to having a proper listen. the tracklist has changed, as the above doesn't have my fave on it. Feedback as promised:
first, usually the cd starts with a self evident opening track, and usually said track is long. Threw me having the short intro.

the ahnoni track - mentalist lyrics of the year award!
then 6, 7 & 8 is DIIV, duke spirit & MV, masterclasses each.
TOY - couldn't quite get it, probably didn't live up to the predecessors. Liked angel olsen though.

then I get hit by lets eat grandma, i guess a late addition. let me say this track is $#@!ing bliss. the reason why we seek out new experiences of music. phenomenal track. absolutely loved it. Have had that on loud in the car. really $#@!ing good.

the tracks following that nod a lot towards variously drone (avery, jon hopkins) with ska tinges, and sounds remeniscent of early jam (can't recall ow if that was weaves, or preoccupations). male gaze has a killer riff (not sure about the vocalist though), and nodded a lot to BJTM.

Couldn't abide mourn. possibly the name put me off early?

Yep, subbed in Anohni for hydrogen sea and Let's eat grandma for On dead waves. they're both a bit good aren't they! essential tracks.

I went for an electronic start which a couple of the mates really liked so it went down well. I really love that Toy track too.

never mind about the Mourn, you can't like em all.

thought the Oranssi might get a mention though!

My boss was at Underworld in London on Fri night, he's just showed me the setlist..............

Unbelievable.

Incubus have released another track from their upcoming album '8', called Glitterbomb. It's a real return to form, IMO. I can't wait for the new album to come out (not long to wait now). It seems like they've rediscovered themselves and remembered how to right a proper guitar/rock album. Cannot wait.

If you have Spotify, have a listen - under the singles section on the Incubus page.

My boss was at Underworld in London on Fri night, he's just showed me the setlist..............

Unbelievable.
It was amaze-balls.
Rick Smith improved a 1 hr 45 min set first, very ambient, picked it up for the 2nd half though.
The main show had the following setlist:
Mmm Skyscraper
Juanita
I Exhale
If Rah
Dark Train, with dancers on stage and great lasers
Two Months Off
Scribble
Cups
Ring Road lyrics with a Minneapolis bed - think that confused some
King of Snake, with more lasers, off beat syncopation at the end
Kittens
Jumbo
Low Burn
Rez with a different middle breakdown
Cowgirl
Moaner
Born Slippy NUXX, straight in, no messing - long outro

Missed Ova Nova/Nylon Strung out, which I would have liked to hear. That said Cups was immense, Low Burn superb, Dark Train was ace, and there was a little more improv there than recent times.
I wanted the ticket originally as I worried they may retire, and it may have been a final show. However both Rick & Karl seemed to be buzzing, and I'm sure there will be new output from them.

It was amaze-balls.
Rick Smith improved a 1 hr 45 min set first, very ambient, picked it up for the 2nd half though.
The main show had the following setlist:
Mmm Skyscraper
Juanita
I Exhale
If Rah
Dark Train, with dancers on stage and great lasers
Two Months Off
Scribble
Cups
Ring Road lyrics with a Minneapolis bed - think that confused some
King of Snake, with more lasers, off beat syncopation at the end
Kittens
Jumbo
Low Burn
Rez with a different middle breakdown
Cowgirl
Moaner
Born Slippy NUXX, straight in, no messing - long outro

Missed Ova Nova/Nylon Strung out, which I would have liked to hear. That said Cups was immense, Low Burn superb, Dark Train was ace, and there was a little more improv there than recent times.
I wanted the ticket originally as I worried they may retire, and it may have been a final show. However both Rick & Karl seemed to be buzzing, and I'm sure there will be new output from them.

What the hell are you talking about, you've just randomly assembled words there (a lot of them seem sexual) !!!
I fear for the youth of today :)

I have just listened to "Close to the Edge" by Yes. Still wonderful after all these years.

I have just listened to "Close to the Edge" by Yes. Still wonderful after all these years.
Wow, you really have a taste for progressive and technical music! You love Rush too. Incredibly complicated music to play.

Have you ever heard Dream Theatre?

Back