• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

The whole album, also called Last, is excellent. The rest of it is folkier than the title track though.

I just ordered the album ! Heard snippets and they sound intriguing. On the title track, I love the unusually slow tempo. I love the way it draws you in and builds with the strings. I love their harmonies and the fact that you can hear their accents, which is probably the norm for Folk Music ?

And that closing line is really affecting for some reason......Man...should be...the sum...of his...story. Beautiful song.

On YouTube, I also heard and saw 'The King of Rome' that they performed with The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band, and I love that too.

Jesus wept and christ on a cracker! I saw this and thought it was edited or dubbed over but no it's actually real.

Awful doesn't begin to describe it!

are we unique? are we something comp.. utterly special in the universe or are we an example of many many civilisations that have emerged. many many different life forms.

Are We Here! My fave Orbital tune. Was lucky enough to see it live once, they reworked it

Caught a Bryan Adams segment of live at abbey road in the early hours, ad it reminded me what a great set of tunes he has in his back catalogue.
Phenomenal live performer too.

Jesus wept and christ on a cracker! I saw this and thought it was edited or dubbed over but no it's actually real.

Awful doesn't begin to describe it!

You twat, I open that out of curiosity, I now cannot unwatch it !!!

New Incubus track - Nimble Bastard. It's brilliant. Cannot wait for the new album.

yep, great voice. is he underrated? hopefully not by those who know. perhaps he should have considered LZ when page expressed interest.

still they managed to invoke his 'spirit' somehow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnF62TNYoM

Sorry for late reply Nimrod, I was thinking that when lead singers are mentioned and having seen so many rockumentaries, I don't think Steve gets a look-in. He doesn't get mentioned as much as he should and he had a unique vocal sound and could use different voices which is something of a lost art these days. Thanks for the link too. Great to hear him singing Whole Lotta Love.

One of my earliest musical memories is Lazy Sunday Afternoon. I always loved that bit in the middle, just after 'close my eyes and drift away', when the bell comes in (with the hammond organ ?) with the sea in the background. For those few seconds I always drift away :cool:

Sorry for late reply Nimrod, I was thinking that when lead singers are mentioned and having seen so many rockumentaries, I don't think Steve gets a look-in. He doesn't get mentioned as much as he should and he had a unique vocal sound and could use different voices which is something of a lost art these days. Thanks for the link too. Great to hear him singing Whole Lotta Love.

One of my earliest musical memories is Lazy Sunday Afternoon. I always loved that bit in the middle, just after 'close my eyes and drift away', when the bell comes in (with the hammond organ ?) with the sea in the background. For those few seconds I always drift away :cool:

cheers. yep a great vocalist and you're right he deserved more. i haven't got much "bought" material with him on but as a kid in the 70's i guess we grew up with a lot of different types of music, esp stuff from the 60s, so we always knew about him. i always meant to get a copy of ogdens nut flake but still haven't.

on the plus side, picked up the planar 3 today. only chosen a pre-amp so far, as not decided on which amp/speaker combo to go for, but it's still a great sound even through the computer speakers.

I have ogdens nut gone flake on cassette.
Haven't a cassette player now though, and it seems they've stopped making them:(

Leftfield re-release leftism in may & will tour to support it. Playing the institute. Wouldn't mind checking that.

The 6 Music festival in Glasgow looks pretty good.

p04tlyj9.jpg

truck_festival-4864594082.jpg

Say it every year, but this is 5 minutes from my house. We get tickets on the buy-back scheme for £80 per person (considering it's a three day festival, that's a brilliant price). It's a fantastic little festival, very family friendly, great safe atmosphere, and over the last few years they've really cranked up the level of band bookings. Personally, as we live so close, we get to experience everything that a festival would offer, but with the added bonus of being able to go home for a shower and fry up in the mornings.

This years line up (above) is brilliant. Very much looking forward to seeing The Libertines. Personally I'm a big fan of The Vaccines and The Wombats will be worth watching. There's some quality bands in there lower down the bill too - and with more to be released.

Back