• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Bowie documentary starting now on BBC Two.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/01/the-25-best-punk-albums-of-the-2000s.html

another day, another list. today it's 'punk', but not as you know it. I have several in the list but not sure I'd class any of them as punk. notably, leaves turn inside you is at 2. I'd be surprised if no.1 is a better album than that.

Delighted to see Sleater-Kinney as high up as #3 on that list (although I'd have put them at #1 :)). That is the only one of those albums that I own (and the only one I've listened to) but my wife has at least half of them. She is a lot more badass than I am!

Also on 6 Music this morning was this cover of Grease by Matthew E. White and Flo Morrissey (who is not unpleasant to look at). Very groovy.

I don't think I've heard any of them but I wouldn't classify anything after 1979 as punk.

i guess i think of punk as contextual to the rest of the music industry of the day. i suppose a lot of what was classed as punk originally wouldn't register musically as that today, but it was more than just the musical sound. i'd describe stuff like the anxiety track in one of the posts above or the bad breeding album (you got that iirc) as punk in today's terms. but most of the stuff i've heard in this list is more like alternative rock, albeit loud alternative rock. i'm not sure it is distinguishable from, say, something like qotsa.

having said that I have 7 of the albums and they're all great. The Unwound album would be somewhere in my top 10 ever, the Monitor and Source tags codes are also particular favourites so i'm sure would make a top 100. it's probably got some merit for someone wanting to check out less well known noisier alternative rock.

i guess i think of punk as contextual to the rest of the music industry of the day. i suppose a lot of what was classed as punk originally wouldn't register musically as that today, but it was more than just the musical sound. i'd describe stuff like the anxiety track in one of the posts above or the bad breeding album (you got that iirc) as punk in today's terms. but most of the stuff i've heard in this list is more like alternative rock, albeit loud alternative rock. i'm not sure it is distinguishable from, say, something like qotsa.

having said that I have 7 of the albums and they're all great. The Unwound album would be somewhere in my top 10 ever, the Monitor and Source tags codes are also particular favourites so i'm sure would make a top 100. it's probably got some merit for someone wanting to check out less well known noisier alternative rock.

Yeah, musically things like Bad Breeding definitely have a punk sound. I just can't think of punk as a "thing" as anything other than that 3 or 4 years in the '70s. Same with "post-punk". It's a very definite period in history for me, even though a lot of the stuff you put up here shares a very similar sound.

I'm not being snobbish. A lot of punk was crap and a lot of the modern stuff is way better, it's just not "punk".

As I'm in the office on my own with Spotify at the ready, I'll have a listen to some of the stuff on the list today.

Yeah, musically things like Bad Breeding definitely have a punk sound. I just can't think of punk as a "thing" as anything other than that 3 or 4 years in the '70s. Same with "post-punk". It's a very definite period in history for me, even though a lot of the stuff you put up here shares a very similar sound.

I'm not being snobbish. A lot of punk was crap and a lot of the modern stuff is way better, it's just not "punk".

As I'm in the office on my own with Spotify at the ready, I'll have a listen to some of the stuff on the list today.

i agree about labels generally. it's never been something that i've bothered about.

as well as trail of dead, unwound & titus, i have the SK, death from, mcLusky and the fucked up album. so if anything else jumps out at you, let me know.

i agree about labels generally. it's never been something that i've bothered about.

as well as trail of dead, unwound & titus, i have the SK, death from, mcLusky and the fucked up album. so if anything else jumps out at you, let me know.

Got the mcLusky on now. Very good.

I've got a few Trail of dead records but not that album.

I actually find it hard to listen to much noisy stuff these days as it's always vetoed by the pop-lovin' ladies of the house. The early Black Flag indoctrination sessions I put them through when they were babies clearly didn't work.

I actually find it hard to listen to much noisy stuff these days as it's always vetoed by the pop-lovin' ladies of the house. The early Black Flag indoctrination sessions I put them through when they were babies clearly didn't work.

my dad is bigger than your dad he's got 8 cars and a house in Ireland, sing it

i probably need to keep away from too much noise, but it remains a driving force.

i think last couple of years has seen a renaissance of great female vocal leads which is a good thing i think.

Just setting off for Manchester Apollo to take the lads to see Sabaton plus support... Tom, the eldest is a huge Sabaton fan

by the way, if you like mclusky you may have heard of future of the left which is the same main man.

by the way, if you like mclusky you may have heard of future of the left which is the same main man.

I've heard the name but not any of the music AFAIK. Will check them out.

On the punk thing, of the ones I listened to Mclusky was probably the closest to punk. The rest seemed to be varying styles of alt-rock. Lots of good things on there, though.

Back