• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

And for wombat, Aphex Twin will be headlining Field Day festival.

Download Festival lineup so far:

CyrffMRXUAARCs8.jpg

In case nimrods is about anytime soon, Minor Victories have announced an orchestral variations release of their album:

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/product.php?pid=112791

just on hols. I don't normally buy variations albums, just have too many other things to listen to.

funnily enough, I was listening to the MV album today (on the beach). trying to get through what I've bought this year so I can do a top 10 or 20. really is a great album so could be up there. but pretty nailed on that no. 1 will be the oranssi pazuzu album. dark and textured. not sure if they're supposed to be metal but sounds as much post rock to me with hints of other things and a sort of psychedelia from the keyboards. I'd be interested in what the metalheads think just to see if there's anything similar around. certainly about a million times superior to my ears to any 'classic metal' I've heard. anyway, it's epic and about 10% up on anything else this year so far on my scoring, though there's a fair few to go yet.

here's a long track from them for anyone interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2V-ftsPqV0

I do like that MV album. It's a grower.

On download, I'd be tempted to go just to see prophets of rage.

Went to see Seth Lakeman at Brum town hall last night. A phenomenal show - the new stuff with a trio of female vocalists is much more sedate than his better known stuff but it worked perfectly interspersed with them over a couple of hours.

Never seen a better atmosphere in the town hall before - which is an ace venue.

He's a talented bastard is Seth.

Fucking hell, I'm out of touch. The only band I've heard of on there is Marillion! :confused-smiley-013
Oh, and a bloke at work has an Opeth t-shirt but no idea who they are.
They have produced a couple of great collabs with NMBCo.

Rush were always one of those groups for me that were undeniably virtuosic musically but could never write anything that hooked me lyrically.

No shock then that YYZ is my favorite track of theirs by a distance.

I watched Metallica's 'Some Kind of Monster' documentary over the weekend (it is basically them being filmed while writing & recording the St. Anger album).

It is easy to see why it wasn't a very popular album. The band aren't getting on well, they have a therapist with them throughout the recording process, they have no bassist so Bob Rock in effect becomes the 4th band member and James is dealing with addiction/rehab issues.

The whole writing and recording process of that album just comes across as a mess. They seem to have no direction and look like they are making it up as they go along. It is hard to believe that this is the same band that is supposed to have created some of metal's greatest albums.

Dave Mustaine even makes a cameo during the therapy sessions and he still has loads of issues about being kicked out of Metallica.

The thing is Lars wanted to get that bit filmed with Dave and was very insistent even though Dave was unsure, so it then happened when Lars wanted it to.

Lars never even realised that he and the camera crew were intruding on Dave's 40th birthday.

They filmed that on his 40th birthday? Poor Dave :icon_lol:

Unsurprisingly, Lars does come across as a self absorbed cock during the film. Creatively, he seemed to be behind all the terrible ideas. I can't believe he managed to sell one of his paintings for $5m too! They looked pretty shite to me.

To give Lars some credit though, I have also seen the film 'Mission to Lars' and he actually comes across as a decent guy in that one.

Lars is a bit of a twat, unfortunately.

I loved the bit where his dad is listening to it. "The first track is okay, but after that it is a bit rubbish"

That film put me right off Metallica. The bits where Kirk Hammett is whingeing - "stop fighting guys" :facepalm:

I saw them on the St. Anger tour and they absolutely rocked. They opened with Battery and did loads of stuff of Justice.

my 2016 year CD current pick. 1 hr 18m. i was gonna swap the DIIV track for a does of punk from Anxiety but think a couple of mates might complain. though the last track will blast them to high heaven if i leave it in.

Wardenclyffe - S U R V I V E
Orlando - Exploded View
Lower Depths - The KVB
La Distinción - Lorelle Meets The Obsolete
Beating Heart - Hydrogen Sea
Is the Is Are - DIIV
Wounded Wing - the duke spirit
A Hundred Ropes - Minor Victories
Clouds That Cover The Sun - TOY
Give It Up - Angel Olsen
Hollow - On Dead Waves
Good Grief - Nocturnal Habits