• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Bon Iver's new album is out today. Marvellous. Bloody love them.

So it is 25 years since Nirvana released Nevermind...

Apparently Nevermind and Blood Sugar Sex Magic came out on the same day.

I didn't get into rock music until a couple of years after it was released. In Utero was the first Nirvana album I bought with my Christmas cash in 1993 but hearing that Nevermnid is 25 years old still makes me feel old! I still remember the exact moment my mum broke he news to me about Kurt's death - 21 years ago!!!

Apparently Nevermind and Blood Sugar Sex Magic came out on the same day.

I didn't get into rock music until a couple of years after it was released. In Utero was the first Nirvana album I bought with my Christmas cash in 1993 but hearing that Nevermnid is 25 years old still makes me feel old! I still remember the exact moment my mum broke he news to me about Kurt's death - 21 years ago!!!

april 1994, 22 years ago mate.
You're older than you realised!

The above are all classic albums from when I was a 6th former. Saw metallica on the black album tour. The Chilli Peppers album was huge too. That said, nothing comes close to eclipsing the impact Nevermind had on the music scene, on fashion, and so many other aspects of life.

To add, The imensely overblown Use Your Illusion albums were also released the same year.

Just looking back, some of my favourite albums were released in 1991.

St Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
MBV - Loveless
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Slint - Spiderland
Hole - Pretty on the Inside
Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing

Good year.

Civil War is class. As is Coma. Hate knocking on heavens bore. Love Live and Let Die.

MBV - Loveless
Slint - Spiderland

Good year.

86 - Puppets and Reign In Blood. Metal Church the Dark and I think Pleasures of the Flesh by Exodus (might have been 87 like Among the Living). Plus Game Over by Nuclear Assault and Stormtroopers of Death album as well. And Darkness Descends by Dark Angel and Leprosy by Death. That 86-87 period was fucking amazing for Thrash

MBV - Loveless
Slint - Spiderland

Good year.

great list. also chapterhouse - whirlpool, sebadoh III.

nevermind hasn't aged as well as some of these, though i still love Lounge Act

86 - Puppets and Reign In Blood. Metal Church the Dark and I think Pleasures of the Flesh by Exodus (might have been 87 like Among the Living). Plus Game Over by Nuclear Assault and Stormtroopers of Death album as well. And Darkness Descends by Dark Angel and Leprosy by Death. That 86-87 period was $#@!ing amazing for Thrash

great period for indie/alt as well. you really didn't want to be listening to the radio before about 8pm in those days.

86 - Puppets and Reign In Blood. Metal Church the Dark and I think Pleasures of the Flesh by Exodus (might have been 87 like Among the Living). Plus Game Over by Nuclear Assault and Stormtroopers of Death album as well. And Darkness Descends by Dark Angel and Leprosy by Death. That 86-87 period was fucking amazing for Thrash

Yeah, I was right in the middle of my thrash period then. Just looking back at some Top 10s - Kreator - Pleasure to Kill, Flotsam and Jetsam, Napalm Death - Scum, DRI - Crossover, Suicidal Tendencies - Join The Army, Celtic Frost...

I'm feeling the bruises all over again!

10pm. Radio 1. The Friday Rock Show. It was my religion. One week they had live sets from Flotsam and Jetsam supporting Megadeth on the Peace Sells tour at Hammersmith that were a couple of days old. I thought it was musical orgasm at 15.

Celtic Frost! Into the Pandemonium! What an album. I already had Morbid Tales and then that avant garde masterpiece hit the shelves. Plus I was permanently listening to Possessed To Skate by Tendencies and DRI and Gang Green were magnificent as well. Happy days. And Kreator were and still are gods. Must take micro to see them.

10pm. Radio 1. The Friday Rock Show. It was my religion. One week they had live sets from Flotsam and Jetsam supporting Megadeth on the Peace Sells tour at Hammersmith that were a couple of days old. I thought it was musical orgasm at 15.

Ah, Tommy Vance. I met him once at the Hammy Odeon just before some gig or other. He was a bit of a dick. Did love the Friday rock show. Used to tape the whole thing every week on C90s.

Back