• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Turin Brakes were a bit meh sadly. Just seemed fairly bland middle-of-the-road indie with a slight country tinge. The songs sounded decent but it didn't really work in a cold field on a Sunday night when mist people had gone home. Probably not helped by following the Dub Pistols who really were superb. There's a band who know how to play a festival.
Have the first turin breaks album, and really don't see what the big deal is.

Dub Pistols, ah, Barry Ashworth, there's gonna be a riot.... Magic stuff.

Last night I went to see Mogwai play Atomic accompanying Mark Cousins film.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b065y1dx
For anyone who had their childhood at any point from 1960 onwards, it is a fairly harrowing exploration of the impact it has of knowing you're growing up in the nuclear age.
I hadn't seen the film before, just heard the score.
Seeing the film, then stepping out immediately after into the ruins of the old cathedral, bombed during the blitz certainly gave the evening perspective.
Great performance though. A couple of sections really got the emotion of the film. Came away feeling the word "Intense" was a fair summation of the night.

Just seen sisters of mercy are doing a november tour, including a date at the institute for the locals...

Just seen sisters of mercy are doing a november tour, including a date at the institute for the locals...

a mate's been trying to convince me to go. last time I saw them was in 1985!
let's drink to the dead lying under the water.

I've never seen them, so am debating whether or not to go for the experience.

In other news, Cliff Williams has retired from AC/DC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37420872
In 2 years that's Malcolm, Brian, Phil and Cliff gone.

James have announced a show at the civic in december. Cannot wait - that'll be ace!
Brother has bought tickets to Underworld at the alex palace next year for my forthcoming birthday present. Nice!

Been listening to lots of bands from my formative years, mainly on the now-defunct Burning Heart label: Abhinanda, Breach, 59 Times the Pain, Millencolin, No Fun At All, The Hives. Great times.

Maiden start taking on the touts:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37438005
Nuff respect to them. Really would like to see serious action taken regarding ticket touts.
Only downside for me is that I love my tickets, and still keep all my stubs and file them in a photo album (well, now a series of albums) where I also put theatre tickets and suchlike, and I'd miss the physical tickets.

Hopefully more bands will start to take action on this. The secondary ticket website business is an absolute disgrace.

stone roses announce 2 shows (hampden & wembley) for next year.

Just seen Son of Dave has announced a gig at Newhampton Arts Centre, Wolverhampton on 8th December.

Just seen Son of Dave has announced a gig at Newhampton Arts Centre, Wolverhampton on 8th December.
Where've you seen that mate? New announcement? Not on SOD's or the newhamptons website (at the mo at least).

Back