• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Still loving the Minor Victories LP nimrod shared with me. It's a really really good album.
Have spent a lot of time re-visiting Ulrich Schnauss's albums recently. Really enjoyed that - had them on whilst cycling, and also whilst reading.
I've also started listening to Underworlds Riverrun series. This was a series of EPs (effectively mixed as single tracks 25-30 mins long) in 2005/6. Never really gave them a chance or got into them before, but for some reason at the mo am loving them. Much more ethereal and less structured or techno in style than their usual releases. Really good listens, especially for short-ish periods (like cycle rides etc).

Been running through Iron Maiden's discography again, and when I got to Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son I was struck by how raspy Bruce's voice already was at that point. Considering how highly regarded those two albums (Seventh Son especially) are, it's interesting that he uses the rasp on them. The biggest knock I hear against No Prayer and Fear Of The Dark is Bruce's voice, but he used the same delivery for the two albums previous.

Anyway, the biggest problem with 90s Maiden is the lack of Adrian Smith. Very underrated songwriting talent, is he.

No Prayer, despite containing their only number one single, was a fairly weak allround effort songwriting I feel.
Fear of the dark is an ace track. Afraid I've never listened to the rest of the album.

Indeed, Bruce leaving ended my love of maiden. They replaced him with blaze bayley, and I immediately ceased caring.

That said, seventh son is an immense album! Always felt it is difficult ti pick a fave maiden album (live after death aside), but number, piece and seventh would likely be the top 3.

Also, realised today is the release day for the new avalanches album. My copy hasn't arrived yet, but I can't wait to hear it.

Never got the hype with their copy and paste gibberish. Frontier Psychiatrist was fucking rubbish.

The Since I Left You album as a whole piece of music is superb I feel. I appreciate how individual tracks don't necessarily work in isolation. I've heard some of their "dj" sets and wasn't that impressed, but I am looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

Nice one LJ - had completely forgotten about this, going to order it now.

New Blink 182 album.
New Chili Peppers album.
New Biffy Clyro album.
New music being released from Local Natives.

Great stuff.

Awesome, but kinda heart-breaking at the same time - Coldplay and Michael J Fox play Earth Angel and Johnny B. Goode

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36794105

Yoof of today press repeat constantly on their streaming app of choice, resulting in skewing the charts.

Can see this, especially younger kids who will play certain stuff to death.

The thing that really galls me about the demise of the single, is that we don't get b-sides anymore :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36987957
superfans keep festivals going. Not sure I agree.
Predominantly male, the "superfans" are also more likely than most consumers to buy music on CD or as downloads.
Er, "superfans" are likely to want physical copy, vinyl even. Not downloads.
Interesting that even these superfans feel festivals are becoming too corporate. Just look at the state of v this year...

Interesting that even these superfans feel festivals are becoming too corporate. Just look at the state of v this year...

My missus is off to V this year. I woul rather sandpaper my balls to a smooth paste than go and see little mix, Justin Beiber and Rhianna. And she wonders why I don't want to go, she's way too old for that kind of shite masquerading as music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36987957
superfans keep festivals going. Not sure I agree.

Er, "superfans" are likely to want physical copy, vinyl even. Not downloads.

That doesn't take into consideration the massive difference in audience demographics over certain festivals either. Some aren't just about the music for example - others are deliberately targetting younger crowds, some are for a specific music genre, it's such a vast industry nowadays.

Got the new Gojira album Magma last week. Some meaty riffs in there although more restrained than l'Enfant Sauvage. I think it's a grower.

ALso, lucky for me as Opeth and Meshuggah release their latest efforts in the week immediately after my birthday in September. Heavy.

Back