• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

On my weekly recommendations playlist on Spotify, they have included a cover of Pulp's Common People. By William Shatner.

I can't work out if it's the worst thing I have ever heard, or if it's utterly genius. I think it's the former. But it has to be heard to be believed.

The big question is why the fuck is this on my recommended playlist....?!?

I once got Paul Anka's cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit on there. Which I quite liked!

Nothing can be worse than the Flaming Lips' cover of the entirety of Sgt Pepper. Fucking rank.

I once got Paul Anka's cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit on there. Which I quite liked!

Nothing can be worse than the Flaming Lips' cover of the entirety of Sgt Pepper. Fucking rank.

Jesus, don't remind me. I like the Flaming Lips. Sgt Pepper is one of my favourite albums ever. But that cover is an absolute monstrosity. Utter dreck from start to finish.

Shatner has done some funny covers. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is hilarious.

Managed two songs of Adele's set, she was doing my head in, the new Cilla Black but with a few fucks thrown in.

Indeed. Apart from her foghorning voice, her inability to sing the ends of words and her singular lyrical subject matter, she's a genius.

I thought her set was good. She has a hell of a voice. Coldplay on the other hand were fucking garbage, self-indulgent shite from start to finish.

I didn't mind her actual singing it was all that bollocks in between.

We shall agree to disagree then although I will give you that he is not as bad as, say, Ellie Goulding. Further, given that I'm married to a classical singer I am always going to be inclined toward her professional opinion.

On my weekly recommendations playlist on Spotify, they have included a cover of Pulp's Common People. By William Shatner.

I can't work out if it's the worst thing I have ever heard, or if it's utterly genius. I think it's the former. But it has to be heard to be believed.

The big question is why the fuck is this on my recommended playlist....?!?

That's off his album, Has Been, which I own if you want to borrow it?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Has-Been-William-Shatner/dp/B0002XK4CO

It's a lot better than transformed man.

Nimoy/Spock did an album too. Indeed, there's a a best of, collating their efforts.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089JE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002XK4CO&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=DPZFMCBN27BVTE7VEB4E

On glasto, I liked James (natch), though their sound was iffy at the start. Their whole set is now on the bbc glasto mini site.
Gutted I missed sigur ros - will have to hunt that down.
Muse were good. Never seen them live (had to sell the tix the one time I did have them), but they were really good I thought.
Underworld were great. A bit samey considering their other live sets of recent times.
Adele, fuck, boring as shite. I can see fat birds doing karaoke in many local pubs.
Coldplay - harmless, enthusiastic (by them) but generally meaningless stuff.
The last 2 bored me shitless.

The beeb's Glastonbury website has full live sets from just about everyone , including Sigur Ros. It's enough to make even Johnny be glad to pay his licence fee. ;)

I'd highly recommend the sets by PJ Harvey and Beck.

Muse - don't get it.

Adele - I quite like her songs in isolation. But stick loads of them them back to back and they're pretty much all identical. Music for women in dull marriages who want to FEEL something.

Coldplay - again, a song here and there overheard on someone else's radio, no problem, but 90 minutes ... no thanks. Once I'd got over the "Ooh look, flashing wristbands, pretty!" stage, there wasn't much to love.

Beck I'll definitely check out - loved seeing him live at the aston villa arena years ago. Nice tip SLA! (fnaar!)
Might have a good browse there tbh.

Saw ten minutes of ELO. Alright.

Was intensely bored by Coldplay.

Missed Muse as I was out. I don't think there were very many bands on the bill that even slightly interested me this year

Another decent festival. Conditions underfoot made it a pain in the arse most of the time but had a good time none the less.

how was the summer cd anyway - any good?

Have had a chance to have a proper listen.
Think it is probably the strongest/best/most consistent cd you've done recently. I only disliked 1 track on the entire comp (When a woman is around). Don't know whether that says more about your tastes, mine, or this years output.
The quilt track reminded me of Smoke Fairies.
The first 10/11 tracks reminded me a lot of 2 things - had a pretty psychedelic feel, as well as a punky tinge. Reminded me a lot of stuff you might here on some of the nuggets compilations/boxsets in places.
Another thing I noticed was a lot of tracks had really rocking intro's. Started playing a fun game trying to guess how the song would pan out after the intro.
Standout tracks - Look Both Ways by Seivehead (really loved the guitar riff) and Dream Machine by Death Index. Also thought that the Milky Wimpshake tune was one I went off quickly.The Melt Yourself Down track has something interesting about it, but I am not quite sure what...

cheers lj. there's no real pattern for what i get so it's pot luck whether any comp will be any good.
the sievehead is down to playtheace - it's a great track.
melt yourself down is like jazzy funk punk fusion. bit different to the rest so not surprised it stands out. i've got this horrible feeling i am actually a free jazz lover who just hasn't realised it yet.
alternatively psychedelic punk is good enough for me.
bright lights, cool pools, the strip, hot chicks!

cheers lj. there's no real pattern for what i get so it's pot luck whether any comp will be any good.
the sievehead is down to playtheace - it's a great track.
melt yourself down is like jazzy funk punk fusion. bit different to the rest so not surprised it stands out. i've got this horrible feeling i am actually a free jazz lover who just hasn't realised it yet.
alternatively psychedelic punk is good enough for me.
bright lights, cool pools, the strip, hot chicks!

You're very welcome mate. I'm looking forward to playing the Minor Victories album again this evening - think that's a great album!
Proper lol'd at the bit in bold. If it's true, embrace it. Music should cover every emotion, and different styles is a wonderful option to have. I've surprised myself by continuing to explore classical music over the past 3-4 years.

Back