• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Has there always been lots of arseholes at gigs or do I only notice it now that I am older and more easily annoyed by them?

Also, why is it that if, like me, you are a bit on the shorter side that as soon as the gig starts the world's tallest man pushes in and stands right in front of you?
Preaching to the choir, my man. Always get stuck behind some tall idiot.

I remember once, I was watching Local Natives in Oxford Academy (one of the few occasions I was at a gig with my Mrs and we were towards the front). A really tall bloke with dreadlocks and 4 plastic pints in a tray tapped me on my shoulder and asked if he could "get in front of you, man". I obviously said no. We were three rows from the front, squashed in like sardines - and even if there WAS room for him, he'd have completely blocked my view. He started to plee with me, saying his mates were just "up there and I've got their drinks" - he said they were further to the left and he promised he wouldn't block my view. So being the kind hearted soul I am, I let him through - only for him to immediately turn his back on me - pushing his sweaty, stinking dreadlocks in to my face - and essentially blocking the view of the entire stage.

As soon as the first beat dropped and the lights went off I emptied my near full pint of cheap lager on to his head and fucked off to the bar. One of the few occasions I had deliberately acted like a cunt but was left absolutely satisfied. Ended up getting back to the front about three songs in as well :icon_lol:

Ah, the collapsible plastic pint glass. Horror show.

Clue for the makers, if you can amend the shape of it, it isn't a suitable container for liquid.
I went to the Civic to watch the Seahorses and some of these got spilled all over someone. They got thrown around in an argument, and before you knew it one got thrown upwards and the balcony started getting involved throwing plastic cups, empty and full down on people. Absolute mayhem.

Still, the gig was good. Third Eye Blind supported.

I'm another in the happy on my own camp, don't get the chance much these days but I've gone to giggs, football all on my own, doesn't bother me.

I went down to see the Chilli peppers in Hyde park on my jack as My mate didn't end up going.

I always used to go to the pub on my own, happy in my own thoughts.

I went to the Civic to watch the Seahorses and some of these got spilled all over someone. They got thrown around in an argument, and before you knew it one got thrown upwards and the balcony started getting involved throwing plastic cups, empty and full down on people. Absolute mayhem.

Still, the gig was good. Third Eye Blind supported.

Must have been a rare UK gig for Third Eye Blind. I've been waiting for them to come over here for years.

Yeah they supported them on a short UK tour in December 97. They were surprisingly good too. Normally the crowd just stands there for the support but it was like a proper main act with people moshing and jumping around.

I'd only heard the one song by them at the time (the one which was later used in American Pie - Semi-Charmed Life which I still love) but it definitely made me more of a fan.

Listening to the FFS album (Franz Ferdinand and Sparks combined project). It's fantastic!

Listening to the FFS album (Franz Ferdinand and Sparks combined project). It's fantastic!

Really!?!?! Saw them on Jools a few months back and I'm only just getting over it.

Really!?!?! Saw them on Jools a few months back and I'm only just getting over it.

Indeed, you posted tasting notes too:

It's not Franz Ferdinand, it's FFS (Franz Ferdinand and Sparks) and they're $#@!ing terrible. It's like if Franz Ferdinand spent up all their cash advance on hookers and train sets, and the only way they could finish the album and tour was to get their old rocker uncle and his weird friend to join the band and use their gear & pension money. It's awkward, weird and doesn't work on any level.

I think the album is great.

Yeah, you said. Not sure I can bring myself to even listen following the mental scarring they left behind with thier live performance.

No idea what it's like live - a mate just told me to give the album a listen as I've always liked Franz Ferdinand.

I didn't want to disrupt the top three gig discussion, so I'll ask this here...

Does anyone ever go to gigs alone? I quite like doing it, as it takes away the worry that the other person isn't enjoying a band you've recommended, or that you're not enjoying a band they've brought you to see.

But it does turn you into one of those sad lonely old men you see at gigs who nurse one pint all night, and look a bit lost when the band's not on.

I love live gigs. Indeed I am amazed at how few gigs most people seem to go to, or why they cease going.
I have gone alone to gigs - If I love the band, then I'll go if no other fecker wants to. Indeed, one of my top 3 ever (see appropriate thread) was a gig I went to alone.

As someone who rarely drinks, I don't nurse a pint. However, I don't think anyone would notice nowadays, as at every opportunity people have their phone out and they're social media-ing. We've lost the ability to spend time unconnected.

Has there always been lots of arseholes at gigs or do I only notice it now that I am older and more easily annoyed by them?

Also, why is it that if, like me, you are a bit on the shorter side that as soon as the gig starts the world's tallest man pushes in and stands right in front of you?

Re part 1, in days gone by, YOU were the arsehole annoying people.

On the tall thing, seems to be a fact of life. Not dissimilar to the fact that I always stand next to the 4 drunken idiots who are waiting to kick off, and also the excessively tall chap who stands in front of me then puts his bastard girlfriend on his shoulders.

I didn't bother going to see them at Glastonbury last year based on their Jools Holland appearance.

Back