• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I've just started my month's trial of Spotify Premium. Very impressed. I'll be subscribing.

The first thing I wanted to hear was Roger Waters - The Wall Soundtrack from his world tour a few years back (I saw it at Wembley).

The sound quality pisses all over my poor, archaic iPod Classic and it's THE definitive version of The Wall (even if it does lack Gilmour's mesmerising, characteristic solo on Comfortably Numb). It sounds fantastic.

One of those things where once you have it you wonder how you ever did without it. Spotify that is, not Pink Floyd.

One of those things where once you have it you wonder how you ever did without it. Spotify that is, not Pink Floyd.

I've found some tracks I've always wanted in my collection but they've somehow eluded me. Such as the duet of Holy Mother by Clapton and Pavarotti (which works surprisingly well!), and the mega chilled version of Don't Leave by Faithless.

Well I'm definitely subscribing to Spotify once my month's trial is up. You were right, Herr Deutsch - I don't know how I lived without it before. It's superb. I never had much of a problem with iTunes but this is just a different kettle of fish. Only a few days of use and I've discovered quite a few new artists, really enjoyed some of the available playlists and got some new albums I hadn't got round to buying previously. And the fact my phone, laptop and tablet all now have the same music collection is pretty neat.

How much is it? Can you download albums to listen to offline? I had a 3 month Google Play free trial which was very handy for listening to new artists on my walk to work every morning but I couldn't justify paying the £9.99 monthly fee when cash is a bit tight at the moment. I presume Spotify is pretty similar.

How much is it? Can you download albums to listen to offline? I had a 3 month Google Play free trial which was very handy for listening to new artists on my walk to work every morning but I couldn't justify paying the £9.99 monthly fee when cash is a bit tight at the moment. I presume Spotify is pretty similar.

Yeah, £9.99 a month.

But I listen to music so much that it's more than worth it. Especially now that's spread over several devices. You can download albums to listen to offline with the premium subscription, and I've imported all my old iTunes playlists from my laptop.

Same deal as Google Play though, you can make albums available offline while you're subscribing, if you stop then they're no longer accessible offline. You don't download them in the conventional sense.

I get ridiculous amounts of use out of it for £10 a month. I can't get three pints in my local for that. How much does an album cost these days, either the physical or digital copy, you wouldn't need to buy many over a year surely to be getting close to the annual cost of a Spotify subscription.

Edit: Just checked on Spotify's "My Year In Music" page. In 2015 I listened to it for 93,000 minutes. Or 64 days.

I don't doubt I would get my money's worth and would happily subscribe to either. Unfortunately I dont really have a tenner to spare every month at the moment. I'll probably renew my subscription to Google Play at some point in the future.

I had a trial of Google Play before I went ahead with Spotify, no dedicated desktop app was a real dealbreaker for me. You have to play it through a browser and the playback quality is compromised when you refresh other tabs, a horrible clicking sound all the time, I can't be dealing with that when I'm working. I didn't find the interface anywhere near as intuitive either, also not as easy to discover new stuff, no collaborative playlists, not really possible to search for playlists, for the same price I found it a far inferior product. I believe their Android app is far better than Spotify's offering but that doesn't affect me.

Spotify's app seems the same on android and iPhone to me.

Apple Music and google play work best on their respective OS as it integrated with the music library, but personally I much prefer Spotify for the ability to discover different types of music - I've tried the free trials with all 3 and deezer, because it was free ;)

I have a Google phone and Google Play is the built in music player on it so that's why I'd probably opt for it. I'd like to try Spotify though to see how it compares.

Spotify is great but I don't listen to it enough to justify the £10 p/m.

I am on a 6 month free trial with Deezer thanks to 3 phone contract. Very similar to spotify. I will probably revert to spotify as I prefer the user interface. Both are good for using with Sonos and through Bluetooth car system. My issue is with multiple accounts for the household which makes itunes family pack look better value.

Currently listening to The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East.

It's one of the best live albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Phenomenal stuff - Duane Allman was an incredible guitarist.

Back