• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Went to see Clint Mansells Uneasy Listening show at symphony hall last night. Nice birthday present off my brother.
Interesting show, and quite different from anything I've seen before. It's the 1st time he's done anything like this, and I think he's finding out what works. He blended bits of each different soundtrack he's done into separate pieces through the show. Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain bits worked the best. Glad he played bits from Pi though.

Radio X did their 'best of British' 100 yesterday, as voted by their listeners. It helped my 7 hour drive back from Scotland as there were some classics in there. That said, not sure I totally agree with Oasis placing in the top 4 positions (Wonderwall voted number 1)!

Full list: http://charts.radiox.co.uk/best-of-british-2016/chart/

Talk Talk fully deserve to be there imo.

funnily enough i'm just in the process of transferring spirit of eden into mp3s. i haven't got laughing stock but it's a legendary album. a mate of mine recently found a vinyl copy of it at a decent price (ie <£30). bargain.

New Underworld album out today, much better than I expected. Standouts so far are Santiago Cuatro and Nylon Strung. Listen here:

http://state.ie/features/underworld-barbara-barbara-we-face-a-shining-future

Finally got my hands on a copy of this and the new James albums.

The Underworld album for me is massively different to their standard stuff. And that is in a good way. I liked I Exhale straight away. This album doesn't have a King of Snake, Cowgirl, or Born Slippy, but it is a wholesome album, definitely more challenging and experimental than some predecessors. Musically it is a bit more intricate and considered. Three listens in and I really like it, the last 3 songs on the album are really awesome.
It is the first album that I wouldn't describe as headphone music, as a lot of Underworld sounds really intense and almost made for headphone listening. This is an album you can put on, sit down, and enjoy.

The James album really struck me as different. There's probably only 1 track that is identikit James, with maybe 2 other tunes slipping into their style. The rest is very experimental for them, quite challenging at times. They seem to have a groundswell of support appeared all of a sudden (they were beating Adele almost all week in the charts til friday), but given their notorious fanbase it is quite likely the album will drop relatively quickly I'd guess. It would have been quite simple for them to crank out an album to go with the good feeling of La Petit Mort, but they've not gone for tried and tested in any way, and that's one of the things I love about them. Four listens in, and I'm really liking it. Opening track Bitch is superb.

I have also learned that listening to previews online does absolutely nothing for new releases. I listened to both prior to release, and the feeling was everso "meh". However, on hearing both on a proper stereo, with proper balance, and bass, the deepness of the sound in both albums really comes out. I hereby give up on preview streams, and will save myself to hearing it in good quality sound in the future.

One last thing - both albums are just under 45 mins each (indeed a few Underworld fans are disappointed in this - 7 tracks). Personally I loved that, and was even tempted to crack out a TDK C90 to put them both on as they'd fit perfectly! :)

Talk Talk fully deserve to be there imo.

funnily enough i'm just in the process of transferring spirit of eden into mp3s. i haven't got laughing stock but it's a legendary album. a mate of mine recently found a vinyl copy of it at a decent price (ie <£30). bargain.

Yeah, I meant I wasn't 100% whether that'd be the album I'd have picked.
Surprised at no Tortoise on there. Tentative that Explosions... should've been too.

16lup800pxwidea.png

Yeah, I meant I wasn't 100% whether that'd be the album I'd have picked.
Surprised at no Tortoise on there. Tentative that Explosions... should've been too.

check again. millions now living will never die is in there. the only one of theirs i have. with the classic DJed.

Been listening to the new Kula Shaker album K2.0 (I didn't realise it existed until this week).

They've really carried on where they left off. Some great tunes. Crispian Mills barely looks like he's aged too.

Oh Mary is my current favourite. It's very Supergrass'y. Catchy and very listenable.

https://youtu.be/N0uOr5eTZis

Went to see James Bay last night.

Lad's got a great voice, builds a good rapport with the crowd, seemed to be a really mixed crowd but everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Current lineup of the Green Man festival, which I shall be attending in August:

gm16-a021-v5-01.600x600.png

Terrorvision's Regular Urban Survivors is 20 years old this year and they're doing a tour to support it. Wouldn't mind seeing them as they were good supporting Super Delux a few years back; I imagine the average age of the attending crowd will be well over 20 though.

Other than that, Ed Rush & Optical and Roots Manuva.

Truck line up for 2016 looking very good. We're expecting our first born a massive three weeks before this, though - so even though the festival is 5 minutes from our house, I may end up missing out.

truck-2016-poster.jpg

I really am an old git, of the 100 or so bands on the above two festival posters, I know the Manics and I've heard of Belle & Sebastian, but couldn't tell you one of their songs.

I have finally become my Dad !

Back