• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

The academy in brum is the worst venue I've ever been to. Layout is all wrong, sightlines awful, bars in the wrong place. Everything about it is wrong.
As a result, I refuse to go there. If there is someone I really want to see, then I'll travel to the next nearest place is (& maybe make a day out of the event) rather than visit that shitehole.

I'd also agree with SSB that generally academies tend to overfill. Oxford being an exception in my experience.

I'm with you I'd rather not go to a gig than go to some of the academy's. Sheffield is not too bad though.

i've only been to the large room at the bham academy a few times. the last one was for MBV when i went upstairs. was relatively close to a bar and had a good view. the other two times downstairs were both a bit crap.

but a lot of bands play academy 2 or 3 which are much smaller and more intimate rooms. those are not perfect but have always been ok - for instance tame impala in acad 3 a few years back was a great gig. twilight sad just played acad 3. so before you get completely put off check which room they're playing in.

Saw Death in Vegas in the academy 2 room. S'ok I guess. Not in a rush to go back.
Saw Michael Franti & Spearhead at the acad 3 & it was absolutely brilliant! Criminally under attended gig though, could imagine it being a bit claustrophobic in there if it was a sell out. Not a fan of the sloping floor in there either.

there'll be a limit on numbers for the Acad 3 room. obv bigger than a living room given there's a stage and a bar there though i appreciate it's not for everyone.

Wow.

I loved Pantera in the day. Fuck me, Phil was a big hero.

However, I loved Vio-lence in the day, and still love Machine Head and Robb Flynn is still one of my absolute heroes. My view of Anselmo is massively damaged by this, whereas what Robb says is powerful and totally accurate. It does make me worry about a lot of the US Metal community.

I really hope it doesn't put Robb off being in the metal community, Machine Head still have far too much to offer.

Shame on you Phil.

Praise to you Robb.

Wow.

I loved Pantera in the day. Fuck me, Phil was a big hero.

However, I loved Vio-lence in the day, and still love Machine Head and Robb Flynn is still one of my absolute heroes. My view of Anselmo is massively damaged by this, whereas what Robb says is powerful and totally accurate. It does make me worry about a lot of the US Metal community.

I really hope it doesn't put Robb off being in the metal community, Machine Head still have far too much to offer.

Shame on you Phil.

Praise to you Robb.

Yep. Robb Flynn is one of the good guys. I've seen Machine Head and they are titans, but every time they play Dublin, Robb attends the fans after show in a clubbed hangs out. Seems really down to earth.

Like you, I loved Pantera back in the day, but once Phil started publicly calling for Dimebag to be assaulted during his Superjoint Ritual days, it's made me reassess my opinion of him. I saw Down in 2006 and the crowd started chanting Dime over and over, and Phil lost it, walked off stage and berated the crowd.

With this recent incident, people are now saying he has been throwing racist remarks around for years, and it doesn't surprise me. He seems like a bitter and twisted man, his apology for the white power remark seemed completely insincere.

Could have sworn he was defending the use of the Confederates flag on one if Pantera's albums recently too. Honestly, this story was on my FB feed the other day and I just scrolled past it. Anselmo isn't relevant to me at all these days.

DDW/any irish wolves,
what's the forbidden fruit festival like?

Buddy Guy playing one night at the Hammersmith Apollo in London in July. Might have to beg, steal and borrow to get a ticket.
Playing Birmingham as well. But just not got the cash to get tickets.

Oh Lord!
I'm seriously tempted, but like you, I don't have the cash right now.

Back