• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

A new series of "Later...with Jools Holland" started last night featuring Foals, Squeeze, My Morning Jacket, Rickie Lee Jones, Disclosure and Kwabs. Nothing really impressed me. Quite a few people I know love Foals but they don't do anything for me.

If only jools Holland wasn't on it and there wasn't a whooping audience with ( no doubt) Dawn French loitering and if only it was
Called whistle test then it might be alright.

Or maybe just show the internet thing that Marc Riley did lately.

Underworld's Second Toughest In The Infants is remastered for 20/11/15.
Great title for an album, and definitely an album needing a remaster.

Ludocivo Einaudi has a new album out in 2 weeks. It's called elements, and here is a minimix:
[video]https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xtf1/v/t43.1792-2/11986836_10153681085062156_931534775_n.mp4?efg=eyJ ybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6NDA5NiwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJoZ CJ9&rl=1500&vabr=548&oh=cd29321a05e55aa94c805593d271fa8b&oe=560D39D3[/video]

In a Time Lapse was possibly my album of 2013. His music is awe inspiring.

here's a couple things i found amidst my cds when having to re-input the collection. i have little recollection of those days.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Flux-Trax/release/42195
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Industrial-Strength/master/34251

Never heard of lenny dee.

That flux trax cd is top notch though. I remember searching for it for a while. I know I've flux trax 2 somewhere. Put it on a few months ago for a bit of nostalgia.

That underworld 4cd set is £65 on their website. HMV have it for £27!

Glastonbury 2016 has already sold out (it took 32 minutes)...

Just given the new Slayer a bit of a bash on the CD Player. Hmmm - my original misgivings may have been incorrect. Listened to the first four tracks and they are really REALLY good. Something about the production is bugging me that I can't quite put my finger on. It just doesn't seem immediate enough for a Slayer album. A little too polished and not quite enough gain on the guitars maybe. Drum sound is good though - very powerful and loads of depth. I think it will be a grower.

Just given the new Slayer a bit of a bash on the CD Player. Hmmm - my original misgivings may have been incorrect. Listened to the first four tracks and they are really REALLY good. Something about the production is bugging me that I can't quite put my finger on. It just doesn't seem immediate enough for a Slayer album. A little too polished and not quite enough gain on the guitars maybe. Drum sound is good though - very powerful and loads of depth. I think it will be a grower.

Bostaph is an amzing drummer, loads of experience in different bands and genres, he's gonna be a pro in the studio and want to get his sound immaculate. He has big shoes to fill, but Lombardo is experiencing the Lars Ulrich syndrome, getting worse as he gets older, probably a bit jaded with the whole scene.

I think Slayers new album is decent, you wrote it off way too early, the lead single was good IMO

I have been a Bostaph fan since the first Forbidden album. Great drummer. I think I was writing this off too early - just worrying about Kerry King writing everything would make it one-dimensional. It doesn't seem to be the case. Looking forward to listening to more of it.

First Slayer album I bought was Divine Intervention ( I was 11 btw!), the drumming blew me away, I had no idea how a human being could play so fast, with so many different tones, and counter rhythms.
Now I'm older and I play drums myself, I know that Bostaph uses a wider range of cymbals and drum turnings than Lombardo, he uses Chinese crashes, hand hammered Turkish cymbals and sizzle hi hats, hi hats with little bolts riveted in that vibrate causing the decay to last much longer. As I said before, his style is more varied and his sound seems more organic to me.

There will however NEVER be a better drum sound than Lombardo got on Reign In Blood. Production perfection.

Do you listen to Tool Paddy?

The drum sound on Aenima is one of the most pristine sounding productions of drums in any genre, and Danny Carey's playing is unbelievable from not just a drumming aspect but a musical aspect too. He uses polyrhythms and different cymbals and electronic drum pads for effects, and he colours the music so well. Good example here -

Back