• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

This was my solitary reading adventure:
View attachment 1077

That was supposedly the best ever Reading, the Pumpkins played an amazing pre-Mellon Collie set on the Fri, and then 10,000 people crammed into the tent to see the Foo Fighters first UK gig, there were people climbing the scaffolding to get a view, the set nearly got stopped at one point. I wasn't there but I know all this as I used to read Raw magazine and they had a 10 page pull out of the festival

That was supposedly the best ever Reading, the Pumpkins played an amazing pre-Mellon Collie set on the Fri, and then 10,000 people crammed into the tent to see the Foo Fighters first UK gig, there were people climbing the scaffolding to get a view, the set nearly got stopped at one point. I wasn't there but I know all this as I used to read Raw magazine and they had a 10 page pull out of the festival

Interesting.
The Pumpkins indeed played a great set. I was never really into them, but they were brilliant.
It was The Foos first UK show, and I was in that tent. There were people up the scaffolding, and it did get mental. Grohl threatened they'd have to leave, but had to backtrack on that threat very quickly.
carter were immense on the last night of that too. Weller was also brilliant, and Grren day were good. Blind melon and Soundgarden were really good. White Zombie were absolutely fucking awesome.

The very first Monster of Rock festival (now replaced by Download) at Donnigton Park was 35 years ago last weekend. Here's the lineup:

CMmaNXrXAAA3T9e.jpg

I've got the tshirt from the 2nd ever monsters of rock hidden somewhere.
the sad are playing the bham acad on 9th Dec now.

DDW, you not seeing Jon Hopkins?
Sure there was a recent discussion re ticket prices being extortionate. see the sad tickets are only £12 plus booking fee. That's a good deal.

Just heard 2 tracks off Chvrches forthcoming album. Sounded quality.

I've not heard any Chvrches stuff LJ but plenty of people have told me I'd like them - how would you describe their sound?

Very poppy. Synth pop with female vocals. Quite melodious, and the vocals are allowed to stand out, rather than the music over-powering them.
Generally quite summery in feel too.
Wolfiephil is also a fan.

I like their first album. First half is definitely stronger than the second half. The 2 tracks I've heard sound an upgrade to me.

I might give them a go in that case. Sounds interesting. Ta.

I'll take a look at that when I'm at home later.

I've had the Happy Mondays on pretty much all day - disgracefully, I wasn't aware that half of the songs on their Greatest Hits albums were done by them. Considering where I went to uni and the subsequent influence the place had on my life, it's borderline unforgivable! But what a cracking compilation.

I've got the tshirt from the 2nd ever monsters of rock hidden somewhere.

Sure there was a recent discussion re ticket prices being extortionate. see the sad tickets are only £12 plus booking fee. That's a good deal.

yes, a good price. i have a holiday to book before end of year so i may need to sort dates of that first.

Churches are good mates of the Sad as i think they shared a band member at one point. bit poppy for me

yes, a good price. i have a holiday to book before end of year so i may need to sort dates of that first.

Churches are good mates of the Sad as i think they shared a band member at one point. bit poppy for me
One of Chvrches was in Aerogramme. I've a couple of their tracks on chemikal undergound comps. They were a band that stood out as being worthwhile.

Foals have released a taster from their new album (about 1 min 15 secs of each song) and it sounds fantastic.

Amusingly I spent all of Garbage's set on the Sunday night in my car listening to a Spinal Tap CD I'd bought at a stall earlier in the day!

You weirdo.

Back