• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

A great injustice! Anyway, the Who have been fucking ace.

The flags at Glasto are YET AGAIN pissing me off. Would be nice to see the bands properly from the front.

F.F.S Nice wig mate. :icon_lol:

He has had it for some years so clearly looks after it.

Plus I would rather listen to a pensioner in a wig with a still decent voice (even though the lack of soundcheck dropped him down the mix) then the fucking garbage known as Kanye West.

I didn't watch any of Glastonbury, but last night I thought I'd watch a couple of songs from Kanye's set to see what all the fuss is about. And I can't understand what all the fuss is about. He really wasn't that bad in terms of performance. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like it at all, but it's a genre of music I don't like performed by a persona I don't like either. It's a bit like me voluntarily watching Adrian Chiles present 'This Is Your Life' to James Corden.

I find the whole 'this music shouldn't be at Glastonbury' attitude really bizarre. It's a diverse festival and love him or loathe him, Kanye West is one of the biggest names in music and is a pretty impressive pull for many people.

11203613_10153276089947156_6267083193597072122_o.jpg

Einaudi & Penguin Cafe.

So I missed Glastonburys last day. Never Mind. I was in the beautiful venue outdoors, in the great court at Blenheim Palace. Fantastically, the weather cleared up, & when both artists were on stage, the sun was shining. No rain, lovely weather, and a beautiful sunset to go with some blissful music! A fantastic venue too.

Arrived to see Penguin Cafe take the stage. As always, a cracking show by Arthur Jeffes. A lovely blend of Penguin Cafe Orchestra classics, together with some of his new music written with a new band. Disappointed not to hear Blue Jay (personal favourite) but other than that, superb.

Onto Einaudi. Setting sun (gradually) and a set heavily based on the In A Time Lapse album, but clearly Einaudi & his mini orchestra have been developing areas of some of the tunes, making them sound a little different, some nice nuances added in. Everyone was absolutely on top form. Amazing how quiet and respectful the audience were - verging on too quiet at times. As the show went on it seemed the artists wanted the audience to be a bit more active (& they did for the last few numbers).
The music was phenomenal - massive kudos to those doing the sound. Starting with several pieces with orchestra, then a few solo piano pieces, then the orchestra gradually return.

A phrase I never thought I'd utter, or post anywhere - witnessed an absolutely jaw dropping tamborine solo! That got the audience on their feet.

Only downside - the 90 minute queue to exit. What I don't get is the mad clamour to run back to your car, start the engine, edge forward 3 feet, then sit there, engine running for over an hour. Personally I always take a flask to gigs & sit, chill, smoke & drink tea whilst all the nutters waste their petrol.

I didn't watch any of Glastonbury, but last night I thought I'd watch a couple of songs from Kanye's set to see what all the fuss is about. And I can't understand what all the fuss is about. He really wasn't that bad in terms of performance. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like it at all, but it's a genre of music I don't like performed by a persona I don't like either. It's a bit like me voluntarily watching Adrian Chiles present 'This Is Your Life' to James Corden.

I find the whole 'this music shouldn't be at Glastonbury' attitude really bizarre. It's a diverse festival and love him or loathe him, Kanye West is one of the biggest names in music and is a pretty impressive pull for many people.

Agreed. There *is* an awful lot of music snobbery on this forum :icon_lol:

That said, I did the same as you, watched a little bit of Kanye's set to see what the fuss about and, although I can appreciate he's musically talented at what he does, it just wasn't for me at all. I couldn't get my head around how many people knew EVERY word to EVERY song of his. I'd only heard of about three! I think maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old.

For me, looking down the complete line up, there were really only 2-3 bands or artists I'd have been happy to sit through the complete set of on the pyramid stage. Such is the diversity of a festival like Glastonbury, I'd have been able to find stuff to watch at all times elsewhere, though.

View attachment 1007

Einaudi & Penguin Cafe.

So I missed Glastonburys last day. Never Mind. I was in the beautiful venue outdoors, in the great court at Blenheim Palace. Fantastically, the weather cleared up, & when both artists were on stage, the sun was shining. No rain, lovely weather, and a beautiful sunset to go with some blissful music! A fantastic venue too.

Arrived to see Penguin Cafe take the stage. As always, a cracking show by Arthur Jeffes. A lovely blend of Penguin Cafe Orchestra classics, together with some of his new music written with a new band. Disappointed not to hear Blue Jay (personal favourite) but other than that, superb.

Onto Einaudi. Setting sun (gradually) and a set heavily based on the In A Time Lapse album, but clearly Einaudi & his mini orchestra have been developing areas of some of the tunes, making them sound a little different, some nice nuances added in. Everyone was absolutely on top form. Amazing how quiet and respectful the audience were - verging on too quiet at times. As the show went on it seemed the artists wanted the audience to be a bit more active (& they did for the last few numbers).
The music was phenomenal - massive kudos to those doing the sound. Starting with several pieces with orchestra, then a few solo piano pieces, then the orchestra gradually return.

A phrase I never thought I'd utter, or post anywhere - witnessed an absolutely jaw dropping tamborine solo! That got the audience on their feet.

Only downside - the 90 minute queue to exit. What I don't get is the mad clamour to run back to your car, start the engine, edge forward 3 feet, then sit there, engine running for over an hour. Personally I always take a flask to gigs & sit, chill, smoke & drink tea whilst all the nutters waste their petrol.

He looks like Larry David

Agreed. There *is* an awful lot of music snobbery on this forum :icon_lol:

That said, I did the same as you, watched a little bit of Kanye's set to see what the fuss about and, although I can appreciate he's musically talented at what he does, it just wasn't for me at all. I couldn't get my head around how many people knew EVERY word to EVERY song of his. I'd only heard of about three! I think maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old.

I didn't know any of it at all - and thinking about it, I doubt I could name a single song of his. As I say, he's not an act I've any interest in - I just don't like that sort of music. And that I am actually old. I also very much doubt he's *that* much of a complete bellend in real life either. All part of the 'act' innit.

For me, looking down the complete line up, there were really only 2-3 bands or artists I'd have been happy to sit through the complete set of on the pyramid stage. Such is the diversity of a festival like Glastonbury, I'd have been able to find stuff to watch at all times, though.

Yeah, looking down the line up there weren't many stand outs for me this year. Plenty of acts I'd have really enjoyed, but no names that made me think 'wow!' which there normally is. If I'd have gone (and if I could have been there, I'd have jumped at the chance as I always would) I think it would have been one of those festivals where I discovered plenty of new bands.

Langers, Jinky... You must of switched Kanye off before his excellent rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody!

I think there are a few who are maybe a bit coy about the stuff they enjoy listening to in case they are seen as not on the pace, it's sometimes seen in the music lists threads.

I didn't know any of it at all - and thinking about it, I doubt I could name a single song of his. As I say, he's not an act I've any interest in - I just don't like that sort of music. And that I am actually old. I also very much doubt he's *that* much of a complete bellend in real life either. All part of the 'act' innit.

I think if you portray yourself as so arrogant you have to back it up and the majority of it was pretty poor (I quite like Jesus Walks) especially his homage to Queen and some of the frankly bizarre conversations he had with his technician over lighting.

I enjoy a lot of the music at Glastonbury even though much of it isn't liked on here.

My god, Jamie T is an arrogant, aggressive, lairy, disagreeable & talentless little cunt-rag isn't he?
I've seen him twice and liked him, after each of his first 2 albums though, been some years ago though so could've changed plenty in that time.

Think I'll have to listen to some of the Glastonbury stuff on iplayer while I sort some washing out.

I've seen him twice and liked him, after each of his first 2 albums though, been some years ago though so could've changed plenty in that time.

Think I'll have to listen to some of the Glastonbury stuff on iplayer while I sort some washing out.

I just don't get how, or to whom, the psuedo-agression appeals. I don't really dig crassness, I guess.

The problem I had with Kanye is that, despite his style of music, was his delivery. Not great, kept stopping songs, terrible set, and just was basically rapping over a backing track. No band at all just screams disrespect to the form and arrogance.

I just don't get how, or to whom, the psuedo-agression appeals. I don't really dig crassness, I guess.

The problem I had with Kanye is that, despite his style of music, was his delivery. Not great, kept stopping songs, terrible set, and just was basically rapping over a backing track. No band at all just screams disrespect to the form and arrogance.
Don't remember anything like that with Jamie T when I saw him. Just a youngish lad playing music with his mates, having a laugh and trying to drink as much JD as possible in the process.

I enjoy a lot of the music at Glastonbury even though much of it isn't liked on here.

Like what? Have to say that my only Glastonbury experience so far (2007) was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed every act that I saw - many of whom were new to me.

Like what? Have to say that my only Glastonbury experience so far (2007) was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed every act that I saw - many of whom were new to me.

Only on the BBC (and the website) you understand but I liked: Jamie XX, Rudimental, Paloma Faith, Ben Howard, The Maccabees, Slaves, Peace, Lionel Ritchie, The Chemical Brothers, Jungle, Mark Ronson, Caribou, Hot Chip and Years and Years.

Some of them I don't know, but I will be checking out quite a few on their website this month. Definitely going to check out Hot Chip and Caribou, maybe Chemical Brothers (I like them, but saw them instead of The Who during 2007) and Paloma Faith (my sister listens to her a lot).

It's a pity Dreadzone wasn't recorded. They are ace.

Looks like the BBC had fun with the subtitles during Kanye's set!

Hahaha!

CIlrcoDWwAAs9Rz.jpg

:icon_lol:

Back