• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Local record store went of business the other day, was able to nab original prints of The Shape of Punk to Come (Refused) and End On End (The Rites of Spring), with a free copy of The Tipping Point (The Roots) to boot. Lovely haul for less than $5.

Same here.

3tdmmw.jpg

James are/were ok. If you told me now that I could never listen to any of their songs ever again though I wouldn't be especially torn up. Mainly as I heard Laid at Club Tropicana at Manchester Academy about 4,148 times.

James are/were ok. If you told me now that I could never listen to any of their songs ever again though I wouldn't be especially torn up. Mainly as I heard Laid at Club Tropicana at Manchester Academy about 4,148 times.

So they're the British Jimmy Buffet, then?

No :icon_lol:

The song is called Laid, the event (if you can call it that) was Club Tropicana, the venue was Manchester Academy. I don't like using 'at' twice like that ordinarily but I've spent all day correcting grammar so I can't be bothered correcting my own.

My brother bought it for me as a pressie. Not listened to it yet. Will hopefully give it a go later. Trouble is for me faith no more without Jim Martin isn't faith no more.

My brother bought it for me as a pressie. Not listened to it yet. Will hopefully give it a go later. Trouble is for me faith no more without Jim Martin isn't faith no more.

I prefer them without him, they lost they rap metal schtick they had with him in the band.

King for a Day and Album of the Year are their best albums IMO

I didn't get into James until 1996/7. Hear side 1 of the Laid album (t'was on cassette y'know). Took me years to listen to side 2, as I loved side 1 so much I'd rewind it & listen again.

I hate She's a Star, bland James by numbers imo. Worst song on Whiplash (rest of the album is amazing).
They're generally a marmite band imo. You either love or hate them. There's little/no middle ground.
But live, they are phenomenal. Up there with Underworld, Leftfield and Spiritualized in amazing live performers.
Every time I've seen them I've heard something new, a track I've never heard live before.
Lyrically I also think they're one of the best bands going. But that is very much a personal statement I guess.

Local record store went of business the other day, was able to nab original prints of The Shape of Punk to Come (Refused) and End On End (The Rites of Spring), with a free copy of The Tipping Point (The Roots) to boot. Lovely haul for less than $5.

The Roots! Nice!

I'd never heard that album before but it's like a stripped down To Pimp A Butterfly. Loving it.

Mark went to University, there is absolutely zero chance he doesn't know Sit Down I call contrary bullshit on this.

Mark went to University, there is absolutely zero chance he doesn't know Sit Down I call contrary bullshit on this.
It played in lectures regardless of venue/course is it?

I might recognise it if I heard it but the name alone means nothing to me, as with the others Bear mentioned. Even if I have heard them I've never been informed of what they were or who recorded them.

So you googled the years the songs came out, but didn't go on YouTube to see what the songs were?....ok

You don't think I was at work in the middle of the day?

I've just given them a quick listen, had to be quick because I couldn't stand it any longer, and I did recognise 2 of the 3 though still wouldn't have been able to tell you the names and certainly not the artist with any certainty, though Sit Down would've been a pretty easy guess. Think i'm more likely to have heard them on some old TV/film or at a rubbish party with a have-a-go hero of a DJ blasting them out than through any university experience, so mundane.

Won't be going back for more.

'Laid' was a regular song played in our student union. Depressingly, I probably spent more time dancing to 'Laid' at Uni than I did actually getting laid!

Back