• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I've been listening to that album again this week. I love the Park.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I found out this morning that the owner of one of the records shops in my town was the drummer in The Vapors of Turning Japanese fame. Very nice chap he is too.

It would have been more amusing/ironic if he was a wanker.

It would have been more amusing/ironic if he was a wanker.

It would have.
Apparently they didn't write the song with that in mind but were very glad that someone said they did as it boosted sales no end. That's what the guy who wrote the song said anyway.

Anybody around here into EDM? I'm trying to dig into the genre but honestly have no idea where to start.

T-Dog, did you know Sleater-Kinney are/were on Jools this week?

I did not know that! I guess it was on last night? I'll have to check the iPlayer. Cheers for letting me know.

First time I'd heard them on Tuesday and thought they were an Elastica cover band. All a bit 'meh' for me (sorry T-Dan)

I thought they were better than that! Some pretty interesting guitar parts. Broken, disjointed riffs (in a good way) and some great rhythmic idiosyncrasies. Strong vocals too.

I thought they were better than that! Some pretty interesting guitar parts. Broken, disjointed riffs (in a good way) and some great rhythmic idiosyncrasies. Strong vocals too.

I am to music knowledge what Alan is to football player analysis

I am to music knowledge what Alan is to football player analysis

particularly as it must be impossible to be an elastica cover band given all their best 'tunes' were essentially nicked from others

I haven't seen any of their performance yet but they probably sound a lot stronger on record than in a tv studio. Having said that, they are a bit of an acquired taste, all my mates think they are a bit of a racket and don't get my obsession! Not sure about the Elastica comparisons though. It depends which one was singing - Carrie possibly sounds slightly Elastica-esque to the untrained ear but Corin puts all other female rock singers to shame.

Anybody around here into EDM? I'm trying to dig into the genre but honestly have no idea where to start.

Far too mind numbing and all encompassing a title for a genre of music.
Break it down a bit more. What kinda stuff have you heard & liked, that made you want to explore further?

Far too mind numbing and all encompassing a title for a genre of music.
Break it down a bit more. What kinda stuff have you heard & liked, that made you want to explore further?

No idea. Music that has enveloping bass tracks and minimum vocals.

If that makes any sense. No idea which EDM subgenre that fits into. DnB maybe?

Are you a fan of Girl Talk at all? If not, start downloading his last 3 albums.

Have a check out of the following:

Avalanches, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Death in Vegas, Future Sound of London, The KLF, Leftfield, Propellerheads, Underworld. Make a note of what you like/hate & let me know.

If you want to check out some DnB, try Ram Trilogy, Aphrodite, & Roni Size. Likewise, let me know your thoughts.

I can make additional suggestions based on what you like/don't like.

Cheers bud. I am already a huge Girl Talk fan. Puts on a fantastic live show to boot. Also well in with Daft Punk, but tend to gravitate to their driving tracks more than their ballads.

Will check out the others, probably Chemical Brothers first as they were on an SSX soundtrack when I was a kid.

Back