• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

It's a masterpiece. But then that's just about the minimum expectation when it comes to Kendrick nowadays.

It's a masterpiece. But then that's just about the minimum expectation when it comes to Kendrick nowadays.

Agreed. Can't decide if I like TPAB or GKMC more. I think history will be kinder to TPAB due to the timing of its release. Both are impeccable in my book.

PS the intro tape is the "most 'ospitable mix" of dark & long. I am so into that tune at the mo. Play it so loud in the car. Think I've a love by association, as when it was played in bristol I got proper goosebumps, & now keep blasting it to remind me of what a great night it was.

Yeah I've been bingeing on Underworld lately. Most afternoons in work I just get the headphones on and listen to Everything, Everything, but also gave Oblivion with Bells and the RiverRun EPs a few spins too. Was also watching footage of them at the Picnic in 2011, Pearls Girl was mental, can't wait to see them again

I don't imagine that hip-hop is very popular on this forum but I just have to give Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly a shout out. Absolutely visceral, sonically impeccable, and loaded with ferocious social commentary. Early days since its release but it seems poised to stand alongside such albums as Nation of Millions (Public Enemy), The Chronic (Dr. Dre), and Illmatic (Nas) as a measuring stick for everything the genre can and should aspire to be.

:icon_lol: WUM's

I got love for Kendrick, but a sonically impeccable masterpiece? PMSL

I couldn't get enough of Swimming Pools when it came out, and Bitch Dont Kill My Vibe. As a concept album, GKMC is very good, and the social commentary is top class, but most of the tunes themselves are pretty standard.

The new album is still growing on me, but I think over the course of time, people will realise they were a bit OTT in their praise of Kendrick.

The tunes are "standard"? That's a pretty incredible statement to my ears.

I like the song he featured in on Eminem's most recent album, and his recent song that he released over here, 'I love myself' or something like that? Not an artist that i'm ever likely to go in search of more of their stuff though.

The Eminem track is "Love Game" and the Kendrick track you mention is "i", which on the album has a brilliant freestyle on the end about the origins of the n-word.

Standard? Jeez.

The production level is off the chart and his story telling ability is second to none compared with the vast majority of current day artists.

As for the new album, none of the songs are as approachable as Swimming Pools, BDKMV etc. It's not good backing music or club friendly. The production, sampling and beats are all completely different. You have to indulge yourself in it and appreciate how good he is. I wasn't too keen on the first few listens, but it gets better with every time. Virtually all of the songs link bank to events from GKMC, providing clarity on a whole range of questions that were raised by that album.

The tunes are "standard"? That's a pretty incredible statement to my ears.

Standard? Jeez.

The production level is off the chart and his story telling ability is second to none compared with the vast majority of current day artists.

As for the new album, none of the songs are as approachable as Swimming Pools, BDKMV etc. It's not good backing music or club friendly. The production, sampling and beats are all completely different. You have to indulge yourself in it and appreciate how good he is. I wasn't too keen on the first few listens, but it gets better with every time. Virtually all of the songs link bank to events from GKMC, providing clarity on a whole range of questions that were raised by that album.

Yup, pretty standard! The rapping and concepts are good, but the tunes themselves do not have that stand out hook that you hear on a Dre/Beastie Boys/NWA album

Standard? Jeez.

It appears you and I are seeking completely different things from the music we listen too, way too deep for me.

Yup, pretty standard! The rapping and concepts are good, but the tunes themselves do not have that stand out hook that you hear on a Dre/Beastie Boys/NWA album

Given that the new album has a huge G-Funk styled influence I thought it would be right up your street! The hook in King Kunta is ridiculous. One of the catchiest I've ever heard.

King Kunta is almost upsettingly catchy. I'd say Kunta and Alright are the most accessible tracks on the album. Certainly nothing approaches Backseat Freestyle but that song was a character piece anyway and is the furthest thing from indicative of his sound.

Given that the new album has a huge G-Funk styled influence I thought it would be right up your street! The hook in King Kunta is ridiculous. One of the catchiest I've ever heard.

King Kunta is almost upsettingly catchy. I'd say Kunta and Alright are the most accessible tracks on the album. Certainly nothing approaches Backseat Freestyle but that song was a character piece anyway and is the furthest thing from indicative of his sound.

Really? Its catchy but it sounds a bit like James Brown over some low end loop that coulda been created in Fruity loops in 5 mins. Sorry guys, it's decent, and I think Kendrick's voice, style and subject matter are superb, but I think the actual tunes themselves are lacking.

For example, the Dre and Mary J Blige tunes from GKMC are very meh

Luckily this isn't something like climate change and your opinion is valid because there are no facts here.

Luckily again, Nando and I are in the majority!

Thats the beauty of music, everyones got their own take.

FWIW, my tastes in my music are ridiculously eclectic. I played drums in a metal band for years, yet I go raving at the weekends and Im listening to Pink Floyd right now.....

When it comes to Hip Hop, the Beasties were my idols for years, along with Cypress Hill, Snoop, Dre, NWA, Warren G, Roots Manuva etc.

I think Kendrick is the brightest spark in hop hop for years, but I just find something missing. I think his voice and rhymes are class, I just feel he could use some nice samples from old soul/funk records sometimes. For example, listen to Ill Communication or Black Sunday. Check out the samples used from old soul and funk records. Every song on the album is a tune!

Back