• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I've been reading a review across the last 3 days of the James Laid/Wah Wah boxset. They're reviewing a disc each day & I cannot wait for next week!

So much so, that they've announced a gig at Worcester Racecourse in August that I'm gonna get tickets for, as a birthday gift for a friend.

Last night, on the way back from the match I blasted Mogwai's Rave Tapes out very loud. It was AWESOME!

oh no no no you don't!

nothing wrong with that, like an eighties throwback. sounds a bit Interpol ish too

Myself and the other half got tickets for Truck Festival (a two day festival that's been going for years but growing every year in Oxfordshire). Last year it was headlined by White Lies & The Cribs - this year they have The Charlatans & Basement Jaxx. I'm especially excited to see Augustines and Darwin Deez, though - and I imagine the pair of them will attract big crowds. Peter Hook and The Light is also an interesting one as Joy Division had some cracking songs.

I remember seeing Peter Hook when he was in Monaco. Load of shite.

Myself and the other half got tickets for Truck Festival (a two day festival that's been going for years but growing every year in Oxfordshire). Last year it was headlined by White Lies & The Cribs - this year they have The Charlatans & Basement Jaxx. I'm especially excited to see Augustines and Darwin Deez, though - and I imagine the pair of them will attract big crowds. Peter Hook and The Light is also an interesting one as Joy Division had some cracking songs.

We went to this three years ago. Lovely little festival, though it looks like they've started to attract some bigger names.

I remember seeing Peter Hook when he was in Monaco. Load of shite.

Was he really? That's a shame. Hopefully that was a one off!

SLA, the festival is getting bigger and bigger by the year which is why (for under £80) it's a good time to get tickets now before it gets too big. It's still very family orientated as well which is nice.

SLA, the festival is getting bigger and bigger by the year which is why (for under £80) it's a good time to get tickets now before it gets too big. It's still very family orientated as well which is nice.

Didn't they merge with another local festival? I thought the guys who originally set it up jacked it in as they thought it was losing the local Oxford spirit. It's one of the better festivals I've been too. Really relaxed and friendly.

It was AMAZING!
Very chilled evening. Noticed part way through that there probably wasn't anyone under 40 there, which felt a bit weird.

Album in full, followed by Bigmouth, Rez and Born Slippy (NUXX). Missed no Dark Train, but almost 2 hours, & so many tracks I've not heard live before.
Sadly Rick Smith was ill, so it was just Karl Hyde & Darren Price. Still top quality though!
Hyde played live harmonica for Bigmouth.

Just watching the crowd footage from this gig, cant believe some tit in the front row seems to be taking photos using an iPad. Thats a new one to me, and a sad state of how things are at gigs these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNY6HoCiFUI

I'm talking about Monaco the band, not the place! They were the support at a Charlatans (IIRC) gig in the late 90s.

Just watching the crowd footage from this gig, cant believe some tit in the front row seems to be taking photos using an iPad. Thats a new one to me, and a sad state of how things are at gigs these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNY6HoCiFUI

Yeah, bit OTT. I remember a few years ago seeing someone on the beach taking photo's with their ipad. Oh how I willed them to drop it into the sea. Such a "look at me" move.
Enjoyed watching that though, cheers for the link!

PS the intro tape is the "most 'ospitable mix" of dark & long. I am so into that tune at the mo. Play it so loud in the car. Think I've a love by association, as when it was played in bristol I got proper goosebumps, & now keep blasting it to remind me of what a great night it was.

I don't imagine that hip-hop is very popular on this forum but I just have to give Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly a shout out. Absolutely visceral, sonically impeccable, and loaded with ferocious social commentary. Early days since its release but it seems poised to stand alongside such albums as Nation of Millions (Public Enemy), The Chronic (Dr. Dre), and Illmatic (Nas) as a measuring stick for everything the genre can and should aspire to be.

Back