• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Gun's Word Up is absolutely tremendous. An excellent choice.

Word Up also popped up on my shuffle this morning.

They've announced a show at the slade rooms. Toying with going. Remember a great show on their swagger tour at the wulfrun years ago.

Yeah, for a song that's been covered by a gazillion artists, Gun's version is by far the best. Haven't heard that album in ages though, must go and find it...

There have been some good covers done in the Live Lounge on Radio 1, sometimes it's interesting to see just how drastically different the same song can be when it comes through a different artist
Indeed. I like this one, but then I'm biased:

On the subject of cover versions, I love Cat Power's 'Sea of Love'. It was part of the music at my wedding though, so that's another reason I like it.

Pre-ordered the new Public Service Broadcasting album today on vinyl. They're doing a limited edition transparent vinyl for independent record shops.

giphy.gif

did you get that from rough trade?

i've got a few coloured vinyls this year. a bit unnecessary but compelling

If Dinosaur Jr can't make a top 50 then the list doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

This Mortal Coil have done a number of equally good covers as Song to the Siren, although that takes a lot of beating. kangaroo, holocaust, another day, not me are all great and available on one very special album, it'll end in tears. they've also done a great version of Gene Clark's strength of strings. a brilliant song that got me into him many years back.

i'm surprised tears of a clown by the beat didn't make a populist list like this

luna's version of the dream syndicate's that's what you always say is also ace.

did you get that from rough trade?

i've got a few coloured vinyls this year. a bit unnecessary but compelling
Picadilly records ( in manchester). I've ordered a few things from them & been very happy with the service, packaging, dispatch etc. Plus they answer emails and the like pretty quick.

I'm sure I wouldn't have ordered this, but for the geekery of see through vinyl!

that's caught me out too. bought the TOPS album on clear vinyl based on one song of theirs i heard from an earlier one. it's very poppy, not me, though i've played it a lot more than i would have expected. who knows, might be my record of the year.

Picadilly records ( in manchester). I've ordered a few things from them & been very happy with the service, packaging, dispatch etc. Plus they answer emails and the like pretty quick.

Great shop. Used to go in there all the time when I lived in Manc.

that's caught me out too. bought the TOPS album on clear vinyl based on one song of theirs i heard from an earlier one. it's very poppy, not me, though i've played it a lot more than i would have expected. who knows, might be my record of the year.
I do love surprises like that, when you get a cd/album on a whim & are lucky.
I bought a Jon Carter mix cd once. Took me months to finally listen to it. Still one of my favourites - ended up wondering why I'd neglected this work of art for so long.

Ditto the gin blossoms & new miserable experience. That is a poppy one, but a great album.

I bought an album by amillionsons & had it on the other day & seem to have neglected listening to it.
Also recall buying a decent album because I liked the bands name - Cities of Foam.

Great shop. Used to go in there all the time when I lived in Manc.
They also have a quirky email twice weekly, which is good for hearing about non-mainstream forthcoming releases.

Was annoyed when I did go to manchester for work & didn't have time to try to pop in, as the work thing over-ran & was pushing it to catch me train.

If Dinosaur Jr can't make a top 50 then the list doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

This Mortal Coil have done a number of equally good covers as Song to the Siren, although that takes a lot of beating. kangaroo, holocaust, another day, not me are all great and available on one very special album, it'll end in tears. they've also done a great version of Gene Clark's strength of strings. a brilliant song that got me into him many years back.

i'm surprised tears of a clown by the beat didn't make a populist list like this

luna's version of the dream syndicate's that's what you always say is also ace.

This Mortal Coil were fantastic. Their cover of The Byrds' I Come and Stand at Every Door is awesome.

I hate polls like this where you're restricted to a set number of choices by "experts" and then those are held up as being the best ever of all time. If you're really interested in what people think, just ask people to list their top 3 favourite covers and let the chips fall where they may. If the Dickies version of the Banana Splits theme tune comes out top (as it would and should) so be it.

This Mortal Coil were fantastic. Their cover of The Byrds' I Come and Stand at Every Door is awesome.

I hate polls like this where you're restricted to a set number of choices by "experts" and then those are held up as being the best ever of all time. If you're really interested in what people think, just ask people to list their top 3 favourite covers and let the chips fall where they may. If the Dickies version of the Banana Splits theme tune comes out top (as it would and should) so be it.

i don't think I ever properly listened to blood, i think i'd burned through as much 4AD as i could by the time that came out. blood has a few chris bell's and another gene clark on it. Ivo must be a huge Big Star fan. again i got into them from TMC's covers.

i don't think I ever properly listened to blood, i think i'd burned through as much 4AD as i could by the time that came out. blood has a few chris bell's and another gene clark on it. Ivo must be a huge Big Star fan. again i got into them from TMC's covers.

Blood is a great album. So atmospheric.

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is better than the original, as is Lemonhead's version of Mrs. Robinson. Jimi's Watchtower is the clear winner though.

Oh and David Gray's cover of Say Hello, Wave Goodbye is far better than the shitty Softcell original.

And I prefer Glen Campbell's version of Time of Your Life

Another couple for consideration:
Nirvana - Man Who Sold The World
Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats (although I do really like the original)

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is better than the original, as is Lemonhead's version of Mrs. Robinson. Jimi's Watchtower is the clear winner though.

Agree with Hallelujah - and your overall winner - but I don't think the cover of Mrs Robinson is anywhere near as good as the original. And I do like that cover.

Another personal favourite is Joe Cocker doing With A Little Help From My Friends.

Other belters:

Travis - Baby One More Time
Show of Hands - Dakota
Ocean Colour Scene - Song of Baker
Jim Carrey - I Am The Walrus

I know Jimbo isn't popular on here but that track is on George Martin's 'In My Life' and Carrey absolutely nails it.

Agree with Hallelujah - and your overall winner - but I don't think the cover of Mrs Robinson is anywhere near as good as the original. And I do like that cover.

Another personal favourite is Joe Cocker doing With A Little Help From My Friends.

Other belters:

Travis - Baby One More Time
Show of Hands - Dakota
Ocean Colour Scene - Song of Baker
Jim Carrey - I Am The Walrus

I know Jimbo isn't popular on here but that track is on George Martin's 'In My Life' and Carrey absolutely nails it.

Mumford and Sons did a magnificent cover of that when i saw them live to close the show, fantastic stuff.

Back