• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

9k=
urge-for-offal-half-man-half-biscuit.jpg

Apparently just sent out....cant wait.
Bilston thursday night as well.

9k=

Coincidentally, the BBC red button had 45 minutes of Underworld live for BBC 6 music on last night and it appears that my education is sorely lacking in all things Underworld. LJ, care to name an entry level album of theirs?

Excellent! It's a weird one, I think, because it's quite derivative, sounds like loads of other stuff, is far too long in places and yet somehow sounds fresh and new.

True - and there's a definite Springsteen influence in it. But I like it a lot, despite finding Springsteen monumentally boring and overrated!

T-Dan, I see that Ryan Adams is touring and is playing Wolverhampton in February. The London gig is in the same week as War on Drugs so I'd never get a pass for that one, sadly.

He's playing Wolverhampton? I haven't been to a gig since our daughter was born but may have to try and get tickets for that one.

I haven't seen Ryan since he stormed off stage during his encore in Birmingham because sections of the crowd were talking over his paino playing but I hear he's touring with a full band these days.

Ah, just noticed it's February. With our son due to be born on 4th Feb I don't think I'll be going to any gigs that month!

You could just go on your own :icon_wink:

Not sure the Mrs would be too impressed by that...and I'm not sure I'll have the energy!

Weak excuses, both of them. Obvs not a superfan.

Pah Ryan Adams...that new single of his is proper weak shit MOR rubbish...sounds more like bloody Bryan Adams.
He needs to phone up Jesse Malin and do some more of this.

I, well the band I was in, supported Jesse Malin at the Slade Rooms a couple of years ago.

He wasn't playing anything like the above though!

I, well the band I was in, supported Jesse Malin at the Slade Rooms a couple of years ago.

He wasn't playing anything like the above though!

Nah it was a secret side project...and what with Malin's past bands (D Gen and Heart Attack) and Adams love of hardcore punk this lp was made...great lp to be fair and was going for quite a bit at one point.
Nice homage to Raymond Pettibon on the lp sleeve too (but not the cd sleeve)

Malin is playing the Slade rooms next month too!...what was your band called?

We were called Zelig, we supported him in 2010 I think. I took paternity leave from the band when my daughter was born in 2012 and nothing major has really happened with the band since then bar the odd gig and a session in a rather plush recording studio. I was obviously too important!

Coincidentally, the BBC red button had 45 minutes of Underworld live for BBC 6 music on last night and it appears that my education is sorely lacking in all things Underworld. LJ, care to name an entry level album of theirs?
Happy to.

My personal favourite is Everything, Everything, which is actually a live album and is awesome!

Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest In The Infants, and Beaucoup Fish are the main/important albums I'd guess. They're the 3 that I return to a lot.
I'd urge you to go direct to the remastered dubnobass... album if you can. From reliable reports the remaster is awesome.
STITI is a superb album, but is very quiet in its mastering.

Let me know if you'd like more details. I also have some other live stuff, the anthologies etc & can provide details if needed, as they've done soundtracks (their olympics opening ceremony album is superb!) and some internet only releases which are great.

Talking of gigs, some people may be interested to know of the following:
Enter Shikari play the civic on 18 february.
Black Label Society (interested paddy? :icon_wink: ) are at birmingham institute on 12 feb.
Yellowcard are on a joint tour with Less than Jake.
Motorhead play the NIA in November. They can go fuck themselves though. I had tickets for 3 seperate tours, all of which got cancelled. So fuck off kilmister, not getting my hard earned now.

Back