• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I can understand anyone not liking bad songs. what about the good ones? do you not like the stranglers for instance.

One of my 2 most favourite bands of all time, along with the Boomtown Rats.
I liked the Sex Pistols, but preferred Stranglers.... and yes in 1976 at the age of 13 I was a punk

I agree...

Whats interesting is the punk bands that formed where the individuals came out of the psych/prog scenes and just jumped bandwagons (or wanted to keep up with the times).....look how far back the legend that is Charlie Harper goes!
Some of these "punk" musicans were mid/late 20's by '78 and could actually play very well...which is where you get the slower, more tuneful punk stuff from.
(not that the sex pistols were even paticularly fast, i mean Discharge changed all that)

Johnny and the Self abusers = simple minds

Damn even The Searchers realised the times were changing and by 1981 they'd popped out a semi new wave lp (covering Big star on it too!)

Same goes for hardcore really...without Brotherhood and Scream you wouldnt have Foo fighters ...(although i cant stand them to be honest) or even $#@! like RHCP.

Protomatyr.....Yeah,theyve come on a bit since their first few 7"s..was quite suprised theyve took off over here to be honest..them and Parquet Courts...but then i tend to rely on mags like Maximum rock n roll to keep up, so i have no idea what things like the NME or Vice are busying them selves with nowadays.

Havent heard the new Swans lp (but will have to d/l that) been listening to the new Dwarves,Shellac,RÄjÄyttÄjÄt, Total Control, Hurula and Dark Blue lps

Also ive never been a fan of the band Metronomy but if the new lp sounds like their current single than ill be all over it....perfect postpunk to these ears.
And for current punk bands that ape the classic "Good Vibrations" sound, the Dubin band The #1's are fantastic.

Elton Motello

haven't got the new shellac yet either. mean to order it from touch and go. probably still in the basket there. don't know the other apart from the dwarves. i think the third unwound boxset is out as well so i got to check that out, hoping i can pick it up cheapish or i might not bother.

I'll get on board with this.

To be fair i don't listen to any older music, there's just so much music around i don't see the need to go back to something that's 30-40 years old, even something that's 10 years old is probably pushing it for me. There is very little music from back in the day that i can tolerate though to be fair, the 80s may as well be deleted for me, going back further there it improves slightly but not by much, i quite like T-rex, some Beatles and a tiny bit of Zeppelin stuff but that's about it really.

Each to their own and all, but I don't really get that. I've never heard anyone speak in such terms about other art forms. "I only read new books" or "I only look at new paintings". I suppose rock/pop music in all its forms is a bit more of the moment but a good tune's a good tune surely.

Each to their own and all, but I don't really get that. I've never heard anyone speak in such terms about other art forms. "I only read new books" or "I only look at new paintings". I suppose rock/pop music in all its forms is a bit more of the moment but a good tune's a good tune surely.

I think what you grow up with plays a pretty big part,more than what year it was published.I'm sure if someone in my family/friends circle were mad Beatles fans I'd grow to like them.My 'circle' was basically Deep Purple/Uriah Heep/Queen/Genesis/Pink Floyd before punk arrived,and bands that 'passed me by' include Beatles,Stones,the Who,Zeppelin and I've never warmed to any of them since. :)

Renata

Anyway, joining. I remember at school a mate, his name was Charles Young, not that that actually gives anything to the tale. It was about 1985. He said music was dead. Nothing good had been released since Back in Black and the eighties was a dead zone. About six months later he heard Puppets. People can have opinions and then change them. If the album is good enough.

Rene and Renata

Not hard to get really. Although the whole thing was musical dirt that made me want to excavate my eustachian tubes with a piledriver.

haven't got the new shellac yet either. mean to order it from touch and go. probably still in the basket there. don't know the other apart from the dwarves. i think the third unwound boxset is out as well so i got to check that out, hoping i can pick it up cheapish or i might not bother.

Another Unwound boxset?.....seesh..
The US postage increase has killed a lot of my US lp buying over the last 18 months...
If you can find stuff in German distros, its cheaper to get a few lp's from there than in the uk!.....
Must mention the new Thurston Moore lp too...only 8 tracks but a grower.

I'll get on board with this.

To be fair i don't listen to any older music, there's just so much music around i don't see the need to go back to something that's 30-40 years old, even something that's 10 years old is probably pushing it for me. There is very little music from back in the day that i can tolerate though to be fair, the 80s may as well be deleted for me, going back further there it improves slightly but not by much, i quite like T-rex, some Beatles and a tiny bit of Zeppelin stuff but that's about it really.

Ha ha....Quite clearly on a windup.
I dont think i can even listen to a new band churn something out now without hearing something from the last 50 years that has influenced it...however much im enjoying it.
I spose some types of "dance" music may be breaking new sounds within that scene, although hearing the new Aphex Twin makes me think hes back on tried and tested ground.
I once played "tomorrow never knows" to a dance music friend (he'd never heard it!) and asked him when he thought it came out.....he shit his pants when i told him.

Mogwai news!
Music Industry 3. Fitness Industry 1. is out on CD, download and 12'' vinyl on 1 Dec, via Rock Action.

I'm suppose i'm just the anti-thesis to someone like James, and there are many more out there, who have the thought that anything recent is automatically shit.

It's not that i just make the decision to straight up ignore all old music on some sort of principle, i was subjected to a lot of old rock music growing up by my dad's brother but it just did nothing for me and that feeling continues today, i can't stand the likes of Black Sabbath or The Rolling Stones almost solely on the horrific vocals by their respective frontmen, i can't stand either of their voices. There are songs/bands from that era which i can stomach but i don't like any to the extent that i'm really going to go out of my way to find or listen to their stuff, i just doesn't appeal to be strongly enough, there are plenty of bands from within my lifetime that have been consigned to similar levels of apathy, some of which i was massive fans of different times. I used to adore Muse for a good while, Absolution being the album that won me over, i found out their previous two albums and i was a happy boy with that, since then i think they've got progressively worse with their new material though so i lost interest and now i don't even listen to any of the older stuff that i liked so much back then, they've just been replaced.

I guess music just holds no real nostalgic value to me, i find enough new music that i like frequently enough that older stuff just gets pushed out of regular listening and forgot about.

Ha ha....Quite clearly on a windup.
I dont think i can even listen to a new band churn something out now without hearing something from the last 50 years that has influenced it...however much im enjoying it.
I spose some types of "dance" music may be breaking new sounds within that scene, although hearing the new Aphex Twin makes me think hes back on tried and tested ground.
I once played "tomorrow never knows" to a dance music friend (he'd never heard it!) and asked him when he thought it came out.....he shit his pants when i told him.

Why would you think it's a wind up?

Doesn't look like I'll be going to Worthy Farm next year. Hashtag Bollocks.

I'm suppose i'm just the anti-thesis to someone like James, and there are many more out there, who have the thought that anything recent is automatically shit.

It's not that i just make the decision to straight up ignore all old music on some sort of principle, i was subjected to a lot of old rock music growing up by my dad's brother but it just did nothing for me and that feeling continues today, i can't stand the likes of Black Sabbath or The Rolling Stones almost solely on the horrific vocals by their respective frontmen, i can't stand either of their voices. There are songs/bands from that era which i can stomach but i don't like any to the extent that i'm really going to go out of my way to find or listen to their stuff, i just doesn't appeal to be strongly enough, there are plenty of bands from within my lifetime that have been consigned to similar levels of apathy, some of which i was massive fans of different times. I used to adore Muse for a good while, Absolution being the album that won me over, i found out their previous two albums and i was a happy boy with that, since then i think they've got progressively worse with their new material though so i lost interest and now i don't even listen to any of the older stuff that i liked so much back then, they've just been replaced.

I guess music just holds no real nostalgic value to me, i find enough new music that i like frequently enough that older stuff just gets pushed out of regular listening and forgot about.

Fair enough. For me, anything I haven't heard before is new music whether it was released yesterday or in 1958. Nothing to do with nostalgia. (Though I do listen nostalgically to lots of old stuff too). Most music of any era is shite (to my ears) but it's fun to find the good stuff.

Back