• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I liked some of the skate punk, Millencolin, NoFX etc just can't get into the vibe/attitube of the original punk movement. Bad songs played badly under the banner of anarchy. Doesn't tick many boxes for me I'm afaraid.

I liked some of the skate punk, Millencolin, NoFX etc just can't get into the vibe/attitube of the original punk movement. Bad songs played badly under the banner of anarchy. Doesn't tick many boxes for me I'm afaraid.

I suppose you'd have to say it was very much of its time. I'll be watching that programme that I linked up earlier because it features The Jam (I wouldn't really put them down as punk, but whatevs). Looks like it'll be an interesting insight into an eventful period and if The Jam are on there then that's one of my favourite bands.

I mean I was an absolute huge* Britpop fan, still am to an extent, but not all of it stands up to scrutiny these days. I'm looking at you, Northern Uproar.

*Figuratively of course. I wasn't like 28 stone or anything.

I can understand anyone not liking bad songs. what about the good ones? do you not like the stranglers for instance.

Nice and sleazy does it every time. Wot a great bass line. Just like all their best stuff

I have a very shallow knowledge of the genre but from what I've heard, there's not much enticing me to delve any deeper. Like I said before, it's not a genre that falls into my radar and for the reasons mentioned, it's not one I'm going to actively try and (re)discover.
The Stranglers, I like.

Deep Purple, Bowie, Aerosmith, Cream, Black Sabbath, Queen, The Eagles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, The Police....

That just scratches the surface!

All the above are fucking ace. Though it's strange to think that Cream and Dire Straits were in the same decade!

Almost as good as the Dark Helmet gif you posted shortly afterwards.

I have a very shallow knowledge of the genre but from what I've heard, there's not much enticing me to delve any deeper. Like I said before, it's not a genre that falls into my radar and for the reasons mentioned, it's not one I'm going to actively try and (re)discover.
The Stranglers, I like.

i think what you're saying is of the following 3 'punk' songs you probably prefer this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuc3faQAEs

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHORHE7YcbM

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPqHutz8zp0

though i reckon you might actually prefer the discharge track

I'll take a listen at lunch and let you know :D

Oh yeah. I just assumed Cream were early 70s.

Deep Purple, Bowie, Aerosmith, Cream, Black Sabbath, Queen, The Eagles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, The Police....

That just scratches the surface!

I love most of these,I'll add Pink Floyd,Uriah Heep,Genesis,Yes,Elvis Costello.

I think most people on the planet love those bands apart from people of a One Direction leaning, oh and Machin :)

Just bought tickets for the War on Drugs in February next year. Something to look forward to.

Listened to them for the first time last night, coincidentally. Good sound - never bad when you can hear clear Dylan/Tom Petty influences.

Listened to them for the first time last night, coincidentally. Good sound - never bad when you can hear clear Dylan/Tom Petty influences.

Yeah, the last album was full of that stuff. Really reminds me of Springsteen and the Eagles too. But it all somehow manages to sound fresh. It's an awesome album for long car journeys, preferably along Route 66 but the M1 works well too.

Yeah, the last album was full of that stuff. Really reminds me of Springsteen and the Eagles too. But it all somehow manages to sound fresh. It's an awesome album for long car journeys, preferably along Route 66 but the M1 works well too.

I've not heard their most recent album yet - but it's on my iPod in readiness. The one I heard last night was called Slave Ambient.

i think what you're saying is of the following 3 'punk' songs you probably prefer this

Sadly, the thing is, most folks who dont really know about punk just think its all about anarchy and such shit, rubbish....not every band sounds or wanted to be the Sex Pistols...yes they might have been influenced by them on those early tours but thats not whats its about.
For me, Punk is the most exciting thing to happen to music ever... all the genres it encompassed made 79 one of the greatest years ever for music.

Anyway Nimord...have you seen the Slint documentary yet?....a very interesting watch, some right characters/stories on it.

Heres some (sort of) odditites.
Screen Gemz (pre Underworld)

Mike Read's (275 & 285) fake punk band

I've not heard their most recent album yet - but it's on my iPod in readiness. The one I heard last night was called Slave Ambient.

Also a top album, but Lost in the Dream takes the big sky Americana thing even further I think. My favourite album of the year.

Back