• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

SLA seems to have good taste in music so reckon I should give them a listen. I love a bit of good Americana.

Also a top album, but Lost in the Dream takes the big sky Americana thing even further I think. My favourite album of the year.

the album seemed to take a while to get released as i'd planned to put red eyes on last year's best of cd and couldn't. i think i posted it on here some time back.

i think eyes to the wind is my favourite track but at 5.56 may be too long unless i edit it. red eyes is 4.59.

the album seemed to take a while to get released as i'd planned to put red eyes on last year's best of cd and couldn't. i think i posted it on here some time back.

i think eyes to the wind is my favourite track but at 5.56 may be too long unless i edit it. red eyes is 4.59.

Yeah, they do go a bit prog with their song durations, don't they?

I hate prog. Pretentious nonsense.

Sadly, the thing is, most folks who dont really know about punk just think its all about anarchy and such $#@!, rubbish....not every band sounds or wanted to be the Sex Pistols...yes they might have been influenced by them on those early tours but thats not whats its about.
For me, Punk is the most exciting thing to happen to music ever... all the genres it encompassed made 79 one of the greatest years ever for music.

Anyway Nimord...have you seen the Slint documentary yet?....a very interesting watch, some right characters/stories on it.

Heres some (sort of) odditites.
Screen Gemz (pre Underworld)

Mike Read's (275 & 285) fake punk band

yeah i agree with you and that was sort of my point to mach, that he probably likes a lot of stuff that would be classed as punk - i mean the stranglers were a punk stalwart. without that era you wouldn't have had a lot of 80's and then 90's stuff that followed.

embarrassingly i haven't even watched the slint documentary yet. will have to rectify it, i have the boxset sat behind me behind protomartyr, brian jonestown and swans albums :) i've not even listened to the BJM album yet as it didn't come with an access code - nice blue vinyl though.

if i could afford it i'd probably just listen to and buy music all day.

Meh, opinions. Prog rock is dreadful. I hate people who try to prove how clever they are, it should speak for itself. Never got into Pink Floyd for that very reason. Stroking Roger Waters' ego is not on my agenda any time soon.

Meh, opinions. Prog rock is dreadful. I hate people who try to prove how clever they are, it should speak for itself. Never got into Pink Floyd for that very reason. Stroking Roger Waters' ego is not on my agenda any time soon.

I just listen to the music,who plays or who's got an ego doesn't come into it. :)

I'll get on board with this.

To be fair i don't listen to any older music, there's just so much music around i don't see the need to go back to something that's 30-40 years old, even something that's 10 years old is probably pushing it for me. There is very little music from back in the day that i can tolerate though to be fair, the 80s may as well be deleted for me, going back further there it improves slightly but not by much, i quite like T-rex, some Beatles and a tiny bit of Zeppelin stuff but that's about it really.

I thought that sort of work would appeal to you to be honest mate. Each to their own and all that I suppose.

How does Morrissey differ from the bit I've bolded, by the way? :fished:

Morrissey is a professional contrarian, I don't think it comes across particularly in his music though.

Re: the other bit. I admire intelligence, it doesn't need to be brazenly flaunted.

Morrissey is a professional contrarian, I don't think it comes across particularly in his music though.

Re: the other bit. I admire intelligence, it doesn't need to be brazenly flaunted.

Just out of interest, I know you're no Floyd fan but have you heard Waters' later work both with Floyd and as a solo artist? The Final Cut is completely different to Wish You Were Here/Dark Side of the Moon for example.

His solo stuff is much more like The Final Cut than the mid-70's classic Floyd albums. Amused to Death is an absolute masterpiece. I guess it's equally as pretentious but in a different way.

If it ain't for you, it ain't for you though.

yeah i agree with you and that was sort of my point to mach, that he probably likes a lot of stuff that would be classed as punk - i mean the stranglers were a punk stalwart. without that era you wouldn't have had a lot of 80's and then 90's stuff that followed.

embarrassingly i haven't even watched the slint documentary yet. will have to rectify it, i have the boxset sat behind me behind protomartyr, brian jonestown and swans albums :) i've not even listened to the BJM album yet as it didn't come with an access code - nice blue vinyl though.

if i could afford it i'd probably just listen to and buy music all day.

I agree...

Whats interesting is the punk bands that formed where the individuals came out of the psych/prog scenes and just jumped bandwagons (or wanted to keep up with the times).....look how far back the legend that is Charlie Harper goes!
Some of these "punk" musicans were mid/late 20's by '78 and could actually play very well...which is where you get the slower, more tuneful punk stuff from.
(not that the sex pistols were even paticularly fast, i mean Discharge changed all that)

Johnny and the Self abusers = simple minds

Damn even The Searchers realised the times were changing and by 1981 they'd popped out a semi new wave lp (covering Big star on it too!)

Same goes for hardcore really...without Brotherhood and Scream you wouldnt have Foo fighters ...(although i cant stand them to be honest) or even shit like RHCP.

Protomatyr.....Yeah,theyve come on a bit since their first few 7"s..was quite suprised theyve took off over here to be honest..them and Parquet Courts...but then i tend to rely on mags like Maximum rock n roll to keep up, so i have no idea what things like the NME or Vice are busying them selves with nowadays.

Havent heard the new Swans lp (but will have to d/l that) been listening to the new Dwarves,Shellac,RÄjÄyttÄjÄt, Total Control, Hurula and Dark Blue lps

Also ive never been a fan of the band Metronomy but if the new lp sounds like their current single than ill be all over it....perfect postpunk to these ears.
And for current punk bands that ape the classic "Good Vibrations" sound, the Dubin band The #1's are fantastic.

Elton Motello

Syd Barrett Floyd .....fantastic..
Never took to any of their stuff post SB, yet i seem to know every song on DSOTM without ever owning it..

Just out of interest, I know you're no Floyd fan but have you heard Waters' later work both with Floyd and as a solo artist? The Final Cut is completely different to Wish You Were Here/Dark Side of the Moon for example.

His solo stuff is much more like The Final Cut than the mid-70's classic Floyd albums. Amused to Death is an absolute masterpiece. I guess it's equally as pretentious but in a different way.

If it ain't for you, it ain't for you though.

I haven't, but then I'm hardly likely to seek it out. Same as someone who dislikes The Smiths won't have listened to You Are The Quarry which is a great album and sounds nothing like The Smiths.

I will give it a try though, because I like you and your mad beard skillz.

I haven't, but then I'm hardly likely to seek it out. Same as someone who dislikes The Smiths won't have listened to You Are The Quarry which is a great album and sounds nothing like The Smiths.

I will give it a try though, because I like you and your mad beard skillz.

Don't forget to try his opera. It's in three acts!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ça_Ira_(opera)

Back