• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

This. Had the pleasure of going in 2007 and it was the best festival experience I've ever had. I could probably count the acts I knew and wanted to see on one hand, but I found so many new favourites from just ambling around and seeing what my friends wanted to see.

The line up was insane that year, but the rain almost ruined it because I kept walking from one end of the site to the other to see as much as I could and it totally fucked my feet up!!

The best one I've been to was 2010. Hot sunshine all day everyday, ending with a belting set from Stevie Wonder. Great memories. So good that I didn't give two shits when England got thumped by Ze Germans. I just went to see Ray Davies and sang Kinks songs instead.

Fact of the day. I have never ever been to a music festival of any kind.

Off to watch the Mrs' favourite band Kasabian on Saturday at their homecoming 'all day mini festival' in Leicester which should be decent. She wanted to get tickets for Kings of Leon at Milton Keynes Bowl on the Sunday as they are still available but I took a duck on that one as not a fan of anything after their first outstanding album.

Currently listening to a lot of Capital Cities & Yacht. How very LA of me.

Yeah, I was referring to Glastonbury - I'd totally agree with you otherwise.

It would've been alright in that respect when i went to Rock AM Ring, there's not a lot else other than the music in the arena but there were bits of the Nurburgring you could walk around, you could mosey around the pit garages along the main straight as they were used as entrances to the different standing sections and because the camping was all outside of the racetrack and music started later you could just drive into nearby towns in the day to do other things. Not that we did much of that, other than going to find food in nearby towns, because the line up was stacked with people we wanted to see for the most part.

Off to watch the Mrs' favourite band Kasabian on Saturday at their homecoming 'all day mini festival' in Leicester which should be decent.

giphy.gif

I used to like Kasabian but i think they've got steadily worse with each album, their new song is shocklingly bad.

Off to watch the Mrs' favourite band Kasabian on Saturday at their homecoming 'all day mini festival' in Leicester which should be decent.

giphy.gif

Kasabian = Pikey Leicester scrubbers

Needs to start planning who to watch at Glastonbury (sorry Langers) Anyone worth seeing that maybe less well-known than the bigger names?

For a blast from the past, I see Credit to the Nation are playing!

Anyhows, my tips would be:
Friday:
De La Soul
Jurassic 5
London Sinfonettia
Chvrches

I'd also be tempted by the Hes Party In Sonic, which is Wall of Sound (awesome record label back in the day) with Jon Carter (brilliant dj, head of monkey mafia), will white, & mark jones amongst others. That'd be awesome.

Saturday:
Metallica (possibly, it's been a while...) & definitely check out Nick Mulvey.
Mogwai (almost always excellent. Last 2 albums have been brill)#Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip. I've never experienced fatboy slim live, so would check that out too.
Sunday:
Massive Attack (almost always a great live show)
Definitely go see Public Service Broadcasting, they're ace!
Mark Steel.

If you're there on the thursday, I see psychemagik are doing a set. Might be worthwhile (they've done some good stuff). Might also be tosh (they've messed some things up which had a lot of potential.

2manydjs are doing shows fri/sat/sun too. I'd deffo go to one of those.

Cheers for the tips guys. I'll note them all down and if not too inebriated try to catch some of them.

Like Langers mentioned though, there is so much other stuff on at Glastonbury you could go the whole festival without seeing one music act.

Just seen Floyd are releasing a vinyl 2LP boxset of the division bell soon.

WANT!

I see Gerry Goffin has died. The Goffin/King songs of the '60s are some of the best pop tunes ever written IMO.

Agreed. I have a whole Carole King play list on Spotify.

A week until Sonisphere. Really looking forward to it.

Never seen Prodigy, so that will be interesting

Never seen Maiden deliver anything other than a brilliant show.

Metallica by request voting so far suggests a fairly old school set is coming my way \0/

Slayer are always tremendous. Anthrax are playing their normal set on one day, and the whole of Among the Living as a separate set on the Friday. That will be amazing.

Loads of bands I really like on the bill. Going to be fucking ACE.

Back