• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Lemonjelly you may be interested in this...

http://chvrch.es/

Live video of full gig but apparently only online for another 24 hours...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Kenny said it was a mix of the new album (superb) and some Housemartins/South stuff.

From what I can remember for the old stuff, they played -

Housemartins - Happy Hour, Caravan of Love, Me and the Farmer
TBS - Prettiest eyes, Rotterdam, Don't Marry Her, Old Red Eyes, Good as Gold, Everybody's Talkin

I am probably missing a few from that list as well. I have slept and drank since I saw the gig.

There are WAAAAY better South tracks than that. 36DD, A Little Time, The Root Of All Evil, just for starters.

Got my tickets for Nov anyway.

Rotterdam and Everbodys Talkin were there to give Heaton a break and just leave Jacqui Abbott to sing on her own.

Prettiest Eyes was stunning sang live as was Good as Gold

Deplorable that this thread has dropped off the first page.

Been listening to the new James album a fair bit.
I'm a fan, so had high hopes. To be honest, first listen I really wasn't keen. Sounded a bit James by numbers in places.

However, the first 3 tracks are huge, very strong tracks that really kept me going back, & I listened to the album a few more times (as I didn't want to get sick of the start of the album).
Have to say the album has really grown on me. It is a fantastic record - a fair bit of the subject matter is sad stuff, but done really positively!
Very strong opening track, leading into a fairly dance-y 2nd track (curse curse, possibly my fave) then into Moving On, which is superb.
Proper utilisation of the trumpet on this album makes it very strong, and distinctive.

Over the last week the rest of the album has really grown on me - I didn't realise at first how strong an album this is.

Fantastic. Can't wait to see them in July. Then again in august...

Needs to start planning who to watch at Glastonbury (sorry Langers) Anyone worth seeing that maybe less well-known than the bigger names?

In addition to the big acts like Metallica, Manics, Plant, Goldfrapp, etc, these are the lesser known ones I'd see:

Friday, Pyramid stage:
~ RODRIGO Y GABRIELA 13:45 - 14:45

Saturday, Left Field:
~ DAN LE SAC VS SCROOBIUS PIP 21:00 - 22:00

Friday, Glade:
~ DREADZONE 17:00 - 18:00

Saturday, The Crows Nest:
~ GRUFF RHYS 12:00 - 12:45

Lineup and times

There's probably a few more too as some are secret/TBA. What I love the most is that there's always something to do... that and the chai is amazing :)

I'd definitely go and see Rodrigo y Gabriela if you get chance. Wonderful live act.

Other absolute must-sees if I was going:

Arcade Fire
Elbow
Midlake
Jimi Goodwin
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Tinariwen
John Illsley
The Bad Shepherds

But TBH I really don't think much of this year's line up. It's not made me green with envy, unlike the last few years.

Jack White
The 1975
Metronomy
Anna Calvi
Jurassic 5
Royal Blood

I used to to 'must see' lists when I went every year and it used to be 4/5 times the size of the one I posted above.

Still - it'll be an amazing festival regardless of who is playing, and reports reckon the weather will be kind which means a massive difference to the whole experience. I really can't wait til I can go back. Maybe in a few years time.

I don't think i've ever seen a Glastonbury line up that's made me feel like i'd really want to go, haven't been to a festival at all for a few years now to be fair though because i haven't seen a line up where i've been that bothered by more than 4-5 acts, and i could probably see those for the same money without having to clear an entire weekend to find time to attend a festival and put up with lots of acts i don't like.

I don't think i've ever seen a Glastonbury line up that's made me feel like i'd really want to go, haven't been to a festival at all for a few years now to be fair though because i haven't seen a line up where i've been that bothered by more than 4-5 acts, and i could probably see those for the same money without having to clear an entire weekend to find time to attend a festival and put up with lots of acts i don't like.

If there are acts you don't like, why on earth would you put up with them?! There's a shitload of places to go and things to do.

The good thing about going to Glastonbury when there's not that much you really want to see on is that you're more likely to come across something new that you'll end up really enjoying. There's just nowhere near enough time to wander around everywhere and come across something you'll never forget!

I'd rather go with fewer names on my must-see list when it's hot and sunny than have a packed schedule of things I do want to see when it's cold and wet.

If there are acts you don't like, why on earth would you put up with them?! There's a shitload of places to go and things to do.

The good thing about going to Glastonbury when there's not that much you really want to see on is that you're more likely to come across something new that you'll end up really enjoying. There's just nowhere near enough time to wander around everywhere and come across something you'll never forget!

I'd rather go with fewer names on my must-see list when it's hot and sunny than have a packed schedule of things I do want to see when it's cold and wet.

Not every festival has the wealth of things to do that Glastonbury offers, if there are no bands on that you like at any given time then you've not much choice but to put up with one of them have you? What's the alternative? Going back to your tent?

If i'm paying the best part of £200, or whatver they cost these days, on a ticket, taking up an entire weekend and travelling a decent distance then I want there to be plenty that i know i'll enjoy, i just had a quick look on the Glastonbury line up and there are less than 10 acts i'd be that bothered about, only 1 on the main stage all weekend! There are far easier and cheaper ways to wander about discovering new things and listening to music than using it as a time wasting exercise between the handful of acts i like spread over 3 days.

If there are acts you don't like, why on earth would you put up with them?! There's a $#@!load of places to go and things to do.

This. Had the pleasure of going in 2007 and it was the best festival experience I've ever had. I could probably count the acts I knew and wanted to see on one hand, but I found so many new favourites from just ambling around and seeing what my friends wanted to see.

Not every festival has the wealth of things to do that Glastonbury offers, if there are no bands on that you like at any given time then you've not much choice but to put up with one of them have you? What's the alternative? Going back to your tent?

If i'm paying the best part of £200, or whatver they cost these days, on a ticket, taking up an entire weekend and travelling a decent distance then I want there to be plenty that i know i'll enjoy, i just had a quick look on the Glastonbury line up and there are less than 10 acts i'd be that bothered about, only 1 on the main stage all weekend! There are far easier and cheaper ways to wander about discovering new things and listening to music than using it as a time wasting exercise between the handful of acts i like spread over 3 days.

Well, the conversation was about Glastonbury so...

Back