• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I've got the rarer version of MC5's Kick Out The Jams - the one with Motherfucker on the record and the liner notes. That goes for about £90 I think.

I had quite a lot rare metal back in the day, but eating became a priority so had to sell it for well under value.

And when my mother-in-law split up with my father-in-law she gave me her record collection, which was basically loads of mint condition stuff from the 60s. Lots of Beatles, Stones, Elvis etc. Trouble is they sold so many of those records that none of them is particularly valuable.

Slightly off topic, but my sister's partner is a big record collector and he owns a couple of houses that he rents out. In one of them he's put up a false wall in front of all his vinyl. The tenants have no idea that it's there and he has no way of getting to it.

I've got the rarer version of MC5's Kick Out The Jams - the one with Motherfucker on the record and the liner notes. That goes for about £90 I think.

I had quite a lot rare metal back in the day, but eating became a priority so had to sell it for well under value.

And when my mother-in-law split up with my father-in-law she gave me her record collection, which was basically loads of mint condition stuff from the 60s. Lots of Beatles, Stones, Elvis etc. Trouble is they sold so many of those records that none of them is particularly valuable.

Slightly off topic, but my sister's partner is a big record collector and he owns a couple of houses that he rents out. In one of them he's put up a false wall in front of all his vinyl. The tenants have no idea that it's there and he has no way of getting to it.

As a whole a collection could go for a lot though, especially if it depicts an era and the stuff is in good nick. I'd expect you'e got something valuable in it as well.

Why on earth put something you value in an inaccessible place.... it's not his collection of new romantics stuff from the early 80's? i know i'd try to hide that away (had i bought any)

Paul - Judas Priest - take on the world
http://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest-Take-On-The-World/release/1182503

median price - 57 pence [BINGO!!!]

Motown Junk 12" on there - median price £13, but has gone for £28!
7" singles - this charming man (£22 median), Hand in Glove (£21 median) but has also gone for £40 high price. cool
7" poppies say GRRrrr - brown paper bag edition £5
full steam into the brainstorm - the Shrubs (Med: £6.63; High £10.31) - wow, surprisingly good price

better stop now. of course, i'd never sell these.

As a whole a collection could go for a lot though, especially if it depicts an era and the stuff is in good nick. I'd expect you'e got something valuable in it as well.

Why on earth put something you value in an inaccessible place.... it's not his collection of new romantics stuff from the early 80's? i know i'd try to hide that away (had i bought any)

Paul - Judas Priest - take on the world
http://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest-Take-On-The-World/release/1182503

median price - 57 pence [BINGO!!!]

Motown Junk 12" on there - median price £13, but has gone for £28!
7" singles - this charming man (£22 median), Hand in Glove (£21 median) but has also gone for £40 high price. cool
7" poppies say GRRrrr - brown paper bag edition £5
full steam into the brainstorm - the Shrubs (Med: £6.63; High £10.31) - wow, surprisingly good price

better stop now. of course, i'd never sell these.

Yeah, I expect if I sold the old stuff together it'd be worth a bit.

His collection is too big to move - he had to reinforce the floor, I think, as a precaution. So when he moved out and they move in, he just walled it up. It's mostly 70s prog and folk - most of it is better off behind a wall I reckon!

I'm just reading through that thread on Soul Source. It's another world! Grown men in tears over that find.

Yeah, I expect if I sold the old stuff together it'd be worth a bit.

His collection is too big to move - he had to reinforce the floor, I think, as a precaution. So when he moved out and they move in, he just walled it up. It's mostly 70s prog and folk - most of it is better off behind a wall I reckon!

I'm just reading through that thread on Soul Source. It's another world! Grown men in tears over that find.

i know, it's mad. his 70's stuff must be worth a fair bit depending how much there is of it. imagine if the house is ever sold and it's completely forgotten about. someone will buy it with contents, break the wall down and hey presto. 70's parties every weekend after that.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...t-record-in-the-world-is-causing-so-much-fuss

a single valued at £10,000. the owner didn't know what he had. ..and a Wolves fan gets a mention in there as well.

shame i like the wrong genres of music. i doubt my Pop will eat itself singles would go for anything much more than £1, even the one i have in a brown paper bag, and i'd have to give The Shrubs away. I have a hardly used 12" of Motown Junk that might be worth a bit and most of the early Smiths stuff which has some value. Even that was a missed opportunity - i bought the first cut of the 12" of What difference does it make with Terence Stamp on the cover. He objected and was immediately replaced with Morrissey, only to relent so was put back on. The ones with the Morrissey cover on are worth a lot more than the Terence Stamp as they are rarer. but as a teenager with no money to spare i was hardly likely to go and buy a second version just for the cover.

i imagine some of you must have something of value hidden away?
I've a few bits & bobs. Maidens soundhouse tapes. I have the original led zep 2 vinyl. I also have some rare lemon jelly records in die cut screen printed sleeves. Most of my records I wouldn't dream of parting with either. My lemon jelly albums on vinyl regularly sell for £200 plus (mainly the first album!) I have Pearl Jams 10 on picture disc ( a basket ball) which I've never seen anywhere else, & a few other nice things tucked away.
I bought a fair few demo's & promo's back in the day, but nothing really noteworthy.
Now I've bought a house I bought a special unit specifically for storing my vinyl.

A few years ago, my mum was clearing off a unit she came across a series of books which had been undisturbed for (quite possibly) 20+ years. Amongst these, she found a book someone in a record store gave her when she bought let it be on release. A mate who is a big beatles fan researched it & believes it is a rare/promo item worth a fair bit. It is in mint condition, as she left it in a folder on this trolly, so that was a nice find!

Just pre-ordered Mogwai's 4LP boxset of Come On Die Young.
Release date put back a little (the vinyl is now 4 august with the cd 21 july).

I've a few bits & bobs. Maidens soundhouse tapes. I have the original led zep 2 vinyl. I also have some rare lemon jelly records in die cut screen printed sleeves. Most of my records I wouldn't dream of parting with either. My lemon jelly albums on vinyl regularly sell for £200 plus (mainly the first album!) I have Pearl Jams 10 on picture disc ( a basket ball) which I've never seen anywhere else, & a few other nice things tucked away.
I bought a fair few demo's & promo's back in the day, but nothing really noteworthy.
Now I've bought a house I bought a special unit specifically for storing my vinyl.

A few years ago, my mum was clearing off a unit she came across a series of books which had been undisturbed for (quite possibly) 20+ years. Amongst these, she found a book someone in a record store gave her when she bought let it be on release. A mate who is a big beatles fan researched it & believes it is a rare/promo item worth a fair bit. It is in mint condition, as she left it in a folder on this trolly, so that was a nice find!

Soundhouse Tapes go for proper money - £800 according to Wiki. My mate's a big Maiden fan, and he found out recently that his prize possession, a copy of the ST which he's had for years, is actually a fake. He's very upset to say the least.

Currently my favourite lyrics in a song...

10500511_10152150878167623_2503423941959132181_n.jpg

Did they put gaps between the songs, so you knew when one ended and the next one started ??

:devil:

Maiden were good but Metallica were even better. Brilliant stuff. I am knackered this morning though.

Back and safely clean.

Best bits - Metallica, Iron Maiden, Airbourne, Alice in Chains, Slayer, Bruce Dickinson and his flying cronies re-enacting a World War One dogfight over the arena, Anthrax in one of the tents playing all of Among the Living (the hottest gig I have ever been in).

A brilliant festival, and a great sense of camaraderie and community spirit in our section of the campsite (we were in disability access as one of our party is a wheelchair user). Surprisingly decent selection of good food available. Loved it. Can't wait to do it again.

Paulo Nutini is doing the lg arena. Mentioned as I see loads have him pop up in their ipod shuffles.

Also, PWEI are playing the river rooms in stourbridge apparently on 1 august?

Off to see Ben Folds in Manchester later. \o/

Travelling the other way to kenny, off to see James in Oxford this evening.

Penguin Cafe tomorrow in Lichfield too!

Off to see Ben Folds in Manchester later. \o/

It was brilliant. A tad different to his normal stuff as it was done with an Orchestra. The tour happened as he wanted to justify spending a year of his life learning about and then writing a Piano Concerto. So a lot of tracks he wouldn't normally play live. Bridgewater Hall is also a great venue.

I think the wife spent most of the gig though drooling over some chap from Emmerdale who was sat a couple rows in front of us.

Back