• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Attention nimrod!
Tame Impala are playing the Institute in Brum. 14 July.

After the disappointment of Reflektor by Arcade Fire, I was concerned that Elbow's new album - The Take Off And Landing of Everything - might also be a let down.

Fears quashed. It's a superb record, absolutely love it.

Worth getting langers? I'm debating whether or not to. I might have to wait a while with my impending purchase...

Worth getting langers? I'm debating whether or not to. I might have to wait a while with my impending purchase...

Without a doubt.

It certainly isn't a 'new, refined sound' as some people thought it might be. It's unashamedly Elbow so anyone who didn't like them before won't like this. But I do like them, so I love it.

Apparently instead of writing songs together, they did it apart for this album. Does that make any difference?

What kind of sound is it? Big? Acoustic?

How is it lyrically?

(Apols for 20 questions...)

Apparently instead of writing songs together, they did it apart for this album. Does that make any difference?

What kind of sound is it? Big? Acoustic?

How is it lyrically?

(Apols for 20 questions...)

I didn't know they wrote it separately - I don't think it's noticeable and it's not to the detriment of the album IMO.

Seems to be a lot of reminiscing in it - I did hear that Guy Garvey broke up with his girlfriend during the making of the album and you can hear a certain sadness to some of the lyrics. The first track is called This Blue World and I got the impression it's about his break up (only heard it once mind you). Other tracks are more uplifting - Craig Potter did say in a recent interview that they gave it a different title than was originally intended because of the various big events that have happened to different members of the band, both good and bad.

Sound wise, it's more 'big' than 'acoustic' but I didn't ever feel it was over-produced. There aren't any obvious attempts to recreate an anthemic signature song like One Day Like This, but plenty that are easy on the ears. A nice amount of organs and strings on some tracks.

As I said in my last post, it's unashamedly and unmistakably Elbow. Which is fine by me but will disappoint anyone who wanted them to evolve their sound.

Reading and Leeds 2014 lineup (so far):

Reading-and-Leeds-2014-03-10.png

Interpol are also playing the institute. Got an email this morning plugging them, tame impala, & Jimi Goodwin. I'm not made of money FFS!

BTW, where's wolfiephil? I'm still waiting for his review of the chvrches gig yesterday...

Might go to Reading this year. Have done Leeds twice already

I went in '98 and it was probably the best festival I ever went to.

Haven't been to the Reading festival and don't think I ever will now. Attended Leeds in 2002 and 2003.

I did split with the then girlfriend who had the tickets & was taking me a week beforehand mind!

Would be very interested in the headliners for the second stage on Friday and Saturday night.
Those & James would be the big draws for me.

Did this one touch your car radio too? :p
Git! No, she thought she could 2 time me & I wouldn't find out.
It was never going to work - rebound relationship. Only a short one...

Back